IPKall with Sipgate

Old February 7th 09, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Ingle

Default IPKall with Sipgate

I'm trying out a sipgate account on my Starcom phone, and it is working
great for incoming and outgoing local calls.

I did a web search and some have reported that they have had no problems
registering an IPKall US phone number with Sipgate, but I can't get it
to work. I initially thought that it might take longer to set the
service up, but it has been a couple of days and it still isn't working.

There are not really any settings to configure, apart from the SIP proxy
which I have put as sipgate.co.uk

Any ideas? When someone tried to phone me yesterday they said the phone
just kept on ringing; I tried a couple of times today from my Draytel
account, and I just got a long period of silence followed by a busy
tone.

Thank you for signing up. Your IPKall phone number is: 253-xxx-xxx.
SIP Phone Number: xxxxxx
SIP Proxy: sipgate.co.uk

Old February 7th 09, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Mark Ingle formulated on Saturday :
[...]

I seem to recall that some changes at Sipgate a couple of years ago
meant that IPKall numbers could no longer be pointed at Sipgate...

Old February 7th 09, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Soruk

On 2009-02-07, Jono wrote:
[...]

Can your ATA or other SIP hardware manage more than one account at a
time? If so, get a free SIP account at ekiga.net - IPKall works fine
with them.

MySipSwitch.com might be worth looking at too if you can only manage one
or two SIP accounts with your hardware, but note the Betamax services
don't work well (if at all) through this.

Old February 7th 09, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

In ,
Jono typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:

[snip]

: I seem to recall that some changes at Sipgate a couple of years ago
: meant that IPKall numbers could no longer be pointed at Sipgate...

That's correct. I remember bringing it up with them and they said it would
be resolved but I never heard any more. I point my IPKall number at a FWD
account (which despite rumours to the contrary is still free to me, at
least I've never been asked to pay anything for it..!)

Ivor

Old February 8th 09, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Ingle

Ivor Jones wrote:

That's correct. I remember bringing it up with them and they said it would
be resolved but I never heard any more. I point my IPKall number at a FWD
account (which despite rumours to the contrary is still free to me, at

Thanks for the replies. The account would be used for a member of my
family. Between us we have a couple of Draytel accounts for which the
IPKall number does work, plus the Sipgate one, so it looks like I may
have to donate my FritzBox, which will give them the flexibility of
having multiple accounts with different providers.

I suppose it may be an excuse for me to get the 7270 FritzBox; though
that is a bit OTT for my requirements, the s/h Fritzboxes and Draytel
Vigors do not seem to be good value on eBay at the moment.
Old February 8th 09, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

In news:1iuua45.1w1e8n5m14mmN%[email protected] astmail.fm,
Mark Ingle typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: Ivor Jones wrote:
:
: That's correct. I remember bringing it up with them and they said
: it would be resolved but I never heard any more. I point my IPKall
: number at a FWD account (which despite rumours to the contrary is
: still free to me, at
:
: Thanks for the replies. The account would be used for a member of my
: family. Between us we have a couple of Draytel accounts for which the
: IPKall number does work, plus the Sipgate one, so it looks like I may
: have to donate my FritzBox, which will give them the flexibility of
: having multiple accounts with different providers.
:
: I suppose it may be an excuse for me to get the 7270 FritzBox; though
: that is a bit OTT for my requirements, the s/h Fritzboxes and Draytel
: Vigors do not seem to be good value on eBay at the moment.

The 7270 is a bit OTT, I have the 7170 which suits my needs, 3 phone ports
and 4 LAN plus WLAN & USB. AVM have just released new firmware which also
gives it a built in answerphone amongst other things but I haven't managed
to get that to work so far.

For some strange reason Sipgate don't sell the 7170 in the UK (although
they do in Germany) but I got mine at www.voipon.co.uk

Ivor

Old February 13th 09, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philippe Deleye

"Ivor Jones" schreef in bericht

For some strange reason Sipgate don't sell the 7170 in the UK (although
they do in Germany) but I got mine at www.voipon.co.uk

You can easely buy a 2nd hand German 7170 on ebay.de for max 50.00 EUR
and convert to english / annex A
Philippe

Old February 14th 09, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Ingle

Philippe Deleye wrote:

You can easely buy a 2nd hand German 7170 on ebay.de for max 50.00 EUR
and convert to english / annex A

Yes, you're right; the 7170s seem to be going for 41-46 Euro on ebay.de
atm. However, if you don't understand German, it can be rather difficult
to ascertain whether they will send to UK, since these items are not
available on ebay.co.uk

Old February 14th 09, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
André Tuytschaver

Mark Ingle a écrit :
Philippe Deleye wrote:

You can easely buy a 2nd hand German 7170 on ebay.de for max 50.00 EUR
and convert to english / annex A

Yes, you're right; the 7170s seem to be going for 41-46 Euro on ebay.de
atm. However, if you don't understand German, it can be rather difficult
to ascertain whether they will send to UK, since these items are not
available on ebay.co.uk

If you are logged in "my ebay", you will see the delivery costs to your
location just at the right of the last bid.
This is only possible if the seller made the calculation, if not you
just send a message to ask him; but not everyone answers and not all
items are at reasonable price, so I should advice to contact 3 or 4 at
the same time. Do not hesitate to write in english, "how much does it
cost to send it to ......" is easy to understand.

--
Cordialement,
________________

__o
_'\(,_
(_)/ (_)
Old February 14th 09, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

In ,
Philippe Deleye typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: "Ivor Jones" schreef in bericht
: ...
:
: For some strange reason Sipgate don't sell the 7170 in the UK
: (although they do in Germany) but I got mine at www.voipon.co.uk
:
: You can easely buy a 2nd hand German 7170 on ebay.de for max 50.00 EUR
: and convert to english / annex A
: Philippe

Aren't there hardware differences between Annex A and B devices..?

Ivor