Vonage in the UK...

Old February 16th 09, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

Default Vonage in the UK...

Anyone know if you can use Vonage in the UK with something other than
the supplied ATA they give you?

ie. do you give you the username/password, etc. details, or is it all
locked-in..

Thanks,

Gordon
Old February 16th 09, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Gordon Henderson wrote:

Anyone know if you can use Vonage in the UK with something other than
the supplied ATA they give you?

IIRC you need a 'softphone account' or 'business plus' to use it with
anything other than their ATA.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:58:54 up 73 days, 22:10, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.07, 0.06

Old February 16th 09, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article , alexd wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:

Anyone know if you can use Vonage in the UK with something other than
the supplied ATA they give you?

IIRC you need a 'softphone account' or 'business plus' to use it with
anything other than their ATA.

Thanks. I found some stuff on their US website, wasn't sure if it applied
to their UK service.

It's bonkers - why would they use SIP then lock you into their own kit.
(although from a support point of view, I can see why)

Gordon
Old February 17th 09, 01:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

In ,
Gordon Henderson typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: In article , alexd
: wrote:
: Gordon Henderson wrote:
:
: Anyone know if you can use Vonage in the UK with something other
: than the supplied ATA they give you?
:
: IIRC you need a 'softphone account' or 'business plus' to use it with
: anything other than their ATA.
:
: Thanks. I found some stuff on their US website, wasn't sure if it
: applied
: to their UK service.
:
: It's bonkers - why would they use SIP then lock you into their own
: kit. (although from a support point of view, I can see why)

Just one of the reasons why Vonage doesn't have the best of reputations in
this group.

Ivor

Old February 17th 09, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Gordon Henderson wrote:

Thanks. I found some stuff on their US website, wasn't sure if it applied
to their UK service.

http://www.vonage.co.uk/free-feature...ture=softphone

It shows Xlite; not sure if it works with anything else, perhaps they've got
their own hobbled version of Xlite? In any case, it's more expensive than
Sipgate, so there's not really any point.

It's bonkers - why would they use SIP then lock you into their own kit.

Because it's supposedly unlimited, so they don't want people setting up,
say, Asterisk gateways and taking the **** by selling their minutes on at a
profit. People already do this with great big rack-mounted Premicell-type
things so I wouldn't be surprised if it was already going on.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:43:12 up 74 days, 21:55, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.07, 0.07

Old February 18th 09, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article , alexd wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:

Thanks. I found some stuff on their US website, wasn't sure if it applied
to their UK service.

http://www.vonage.co.uk/free-feature...ture=softphone

It shows Xlite; not sure if it works with anything else, perhaps they've got
their own hobbled version of Xlite? In any case, it's more expensive than
Sipgate, so there's not really any point.

Cost isn't the issue, it's flexability.

My client already has a Vonage service, liked VoIP, so bought one of
my PBXs + VoIP trunk from me and now they want to use their shiny new
handsets to take calls from their Vonage system, so short of connecting
the Vonage ATA to an analogue input card in the PBX I don't know what
to do...

Gordon
Old February 18th 09, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

In ,
Gordon Henderson typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:

[snip]

: Cost isn't the issue, it's flexability.
:
: My client already has a Vonage service, liked VoIP, so bought one of
: my PBXs + VoIP trunk from me and now they want to use their shiny new
: handsets to take calls from their Vonage system, so short of
: connecting the Vonage ATA to an analogue input card in the PBX I don't
know what
: to do...

Is that such a problem..? Works for me.

Ivor

Old February 18th 09, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

on 18/02/2009, Ivor Jones supposed :
so short of
connecting the Vonage ATA to an analogue input card in the PBX I don't know
what to do...

Is that such a problem..? Works for me.

Not ideal on an Asterisk PBX.

You have a creaking old analogue PBX. Obviously more suitable in this
case, though ;-)

Old February 18th 09, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
In article , alexd
wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:

Anyone know if you can use Vonage in the UK with something other than
the supplied ATA they give you?

IIRC you need a 'softphone account' or 'business plus' to use it with
anything other than their ATA.

Thanks. I found some stuff on their US website, wasn't sure if it applied
to their UK service.

It's bonkers - why would they use SIP then lock you into their own kit.
(although from a support point of view, I can see why)

Gordon

If it's standard SIP have you tried plugging the ATA into a HUB along
with a linux box and using tcpdump/wireshark to sniff the registration
data when you power the ATA on?

As a clue it looks like the USA version uses the MAC address to
identify adapters - no personal knowledge just browsed the sites and
chose 'sign up with store bought ATA' - since that MAC does not
travel over the internet to them normally my guess it is the username.
(over there you can also have many units on one account, again
added bu use of the MAC address - you cannot do that here as
far as I can see)

Steve

Old February 18th 09, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Gordon Henderson wrote:

so short of connecting the Vonage ATA to an analogue input card in the PBX
I don't know what to do...

Yep, that's exactly what you do. Given the 6 activation + 6PCM it'll cost
to do it natively in SIP on the PBX by paying for a softphone account, the
extra analogue port will pay for itself eventually ;-)

Alternatively, Vonage do make rather a song and dance about number
portability so perhaps you could port their number out?

Or permanently divert it to a SIP trunk of your choice?

http://www.vonage.co.uk/free-feature...all_forwarding

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
23:12:50 up 76 days, 1:24, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.08, 0.08