0560 numbers

Old February 17th 09, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
divoch

Default 0560 numbers

It is claimed that these numbers can be accessed from standard telephones as
any geographic number can and at the same cost. Is that reliably the case?
Can they be called from abroad?

thanks
divoch

Old February 18th 09, 06:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Andy Burns

divoch wrote:

It is claimed that these numbers can be accessed from standard
telephones as any geographic number can and at the same cost.
Is that reliably the case?

056 numbers are classed as "New Voice Services" calls, and charged at
rate g21, for residential lines they are charged at

4.784p/min daytime
1.955p/min evenings
1.150p/min weekend

This is cheaper than national rate calls but more expensive than local
rate calls. (I thought they'd equalised the calls for local and national
a while back, have they reversed that, or am I wrong in thinking they
ever did equalise the charges?)

http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/p....htm#0016-d0e5

Can they be called from abroad?

Dunno.
Old February 18th 09, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian Pawson

divoch wrote:
It is claimed that these numbers can be accessed from standard
telephones as any geographic number can and at the same cost. Is that
reliably the case? Can they be called from abroad?

thanks
divoch

Trouble is that 056 numbers are not included in inclusive phone plans,
only 01,02,03 so you will get charged for them even if you have a 24/7
'free' calls plan.
Old February 18th 09, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Soruk

On 2009-02-18, Andy Burns wrote:
divoch wrote:

It is claimed that these numbers can be accessed from standard
telephones as any geographic number can and at the same cost.
Is that reliably the case?

056 numbers are classed as "New Voice Services" calls, and charged at
rate g21, for residential lines they are charged at

4.784p/min daytime
1.955p/min evenings
1.150p/min weekend

This is cheaper than national rate calls but more expensive than local
rate calls. (I thought they'd equalised the calls for local and national
a while back, have they reversed that, or am I wrong in thinking they
ever did equalise the charges?)

03xx calls are also g21 - but shouldn't they be the SAME as
local/national calls? Or by saying that am I falling for marketing
fakery?

Old February 18th 09, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

"Ian Pawson" wrote in message
divoch wrote:
It is claimed that these numbers can be accessed from standard
telephones as any geographic number can and at the same cost. Is that
reliably the case? Can they be called from abroad?

thanks
divoch

Trouble is that 056 numbers are not included in inclusive phone plans,
only 01,02,03 so you will get charged for them even if you have a 24/7
'free' calls plan.

Curiously Magsys shows 056 (along with two other codes) as falling
within plans - i.e. free at weekends - and they are usually right IME.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old February 18th 09, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Landru

"Ian Pawson" wrote in message

Trouble is that 056 numbers are not included in inclusive phone plans,
only 01,02,03 so you will get charged for them even if you have a 24/7
'free' calls plan.

Not according to my last BT Bill:

09 Jan 12:48 0560004xxxx
0000:00:21 -0.000

John.

Old February 18th 09, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Theo Markettos

Andy Burns wrote:
divoch wrote:

Can they be called from abroad?

Dunno.

Can they even be called from ex-NTL Virgin Media now?

Theo
Old February 18th 09, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Landru

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message

Andy Burns wrote:
divoch wrote:

Can they be called from abroad?

Dunno.

Can they even be called from ex-NTL Virgin Media now?

Yep, (never used to work) but I don't think you can call them from Orange
mobiles.

John.

Old February 18th 09, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Gary Hawkins

Soruk wrote:
03xx calls are also g21 - but shouldn't they be the SAME as
local/national calls? Or by saying that am I falling for marketing
fakery?

Yes they are. BT Retail customers are charged g21 rate for 03 and 056
numbers; however on 99% of all their calling packages these numbers are
discounted to geographic rate, thereby satisfying the Ofcom directive
that 03 should be charged at the same rate as 01/02.

*However*, other telcos other than BT Retail, can, and some do, charge
different rates for 056 numbers. All telcos must charge geographic rate
for 03 numbers, but this is not the case for 056.

See BT Price List:
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/p...5-d0e1-section
parts 1, 2 and 3 for BT Retail's residential prices.

HTH
Gary H
Old February 18th 09, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
pugwash

Andy Burns wrote:
divoch wrote:

Can they be called from abroad?

Dunno.

Can they even be called from ex-NTL Virgin Media now?

Yep, (never used to work) but I don't think you can call them from Orange
mobiles.

John.

Orange mobiles can call 056 numbers, no problem here.