Is it possible to set up a router to preference the VOIP port

Old February 20th 09, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Anti-Spam

Default Is it possible to set up a router to preference the VOIP port

I have a linksys SP3102 VOIP adaptor linked to my wireless D Link
DSL-604+ router. My SP3102 is Ethernet hardwired to my router, as is
my PC. Problem I have is that if there is any heavyweight internet
activity on my PC, it makes my VOIP connection (VOIPTalk) crap. When
nothing is happening on my PC, VOIP is great. My general question
about routers is, can they be made to preference a particular wired
port over anything else, so that my VOIP connection gets preference.
TIA
Mark in Spain.
Old February 20th 09, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Anti-Spam" wrote in message
I have a linksys SP3102 VOIP adaptor linked to my wireless D Link
DSL-604+ router. My SP3102 is Ethernet hardwired to my router, as is
my PC. Problem I have is that if there is any heavyweight internet
activity on my PC, it makes my VOIP connection (VOIPTalk) crap. When
nothing is happening on my PC, VOIP is great. My general question
about routers is, can they be made to preference a particular wired
port over anything else, so that my VOIP connection gets preference.

There certainly are routers that can do this.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old February 20th 09, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

In ,
Anti-Spam typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
: I have a linksys SP3102 VOIP adaptor linked to my wireless D Link
: DSL-604+ router. My SP3102 is Ethernet hardwired to my router, as is
: my PC. Problem I have is that if there is any heavyweight internet
: activity on my PC, it makes my VOIP connection (VOIPTalk) crap. When
: nothing is happening on my PC, VOIP is great. My general question
: about routers is, can they be made to preference a particular wired
: port over anything else, so that my VOIP connection gets preference.
: TIA
: Mark in Spain.

It's called QoS = Quality of service.

Basically you need a router that has QoS built in, not sure if yours does,
check the instructions/menus.

Ivor

Old February 21st 09, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
BruceB

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

It's called QoS = Quality of service.

Basically you need a router that has QoS built in, not sure if yours does,
check the instructions/menus.

Ivor

And if your router does not do it you could add a switch to your network
that has QOS functions if that is easier.
Regards
Bruce

Old February 23rd 09, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Anti-Spam wrote:
I have a linksys SP3102 VOIP adaptor linked to my wireless D Link
DSL-604+ router. My SP3102 is Ethernet hardwired to my router, as is
my PC. Problem I have is that if there is any heavyweight internet
activity on my PC, it makes my VOIP connection (VOIPTalk) crap. When
nothing is happening on my PC, VOIP is great. My general question
about routers is, can they be made to preference a particular wired
port over anything else, so that my VOIP connection gets preference.

SPA-3102 does this for upstream.

Click router, Admin login, advanced, Wan Setup.

Then find the setting Qos QDisc.

Set to CBQ or TBF. I'd try TBF first.

Then set the maximum upload speed to match the upload speed of your
internet connection.

Should slow down upload from your computer when you are on the phone.

For download, you need a router capable of TCP window shaping or you
need your ISP to help.

Tim

Old February 25th 09, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Anti-Spam

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:40:46 +0000, Tim wrote:

Anti-Spam wrote:
[...]

Thanks Tim, I will give that a try, thanks for you time and knowledge.