Easy way to use analog telephone, FX0 card & sipgate?

Old February 21st 09, 06:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris

Default Easy way to use analog telephone, FX0 card & sipgate?

Hey guys,

is there an easy way to use an FX0 card and software as a substitute for
an ATA?
I've heard about Asterisk; the thing is I'm running XP, plus I don't
want to spend a few days getting into Asterisk if there's a piece of
software that'll do it all for me.

Cheers
--Chris
Old February 21st 09, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article , Chris wrote:
Hey guys,

is there an easy way to use an FX0 card and software as a substitute for
an ATA?

No.

You need a card with an FXS port.

FXO ports are designed to connect to the "Office" or "Central Office",
sometimes called just CO - An american term for telephone exchange.

FXS ports connect to Stations - ie. Telephones.

FXS ports can generate the required voltage (about 50 of them) that'll
make a phone ring. FXO ports won't.

I've heard about Asterisk; the thing is I'm running XP, plus I don't
want to spend a few days getting into Asterisk if there's a piece of
software that'll do it all for me.

http://www.asteriskwin32.com/

However I've no idea how well it's supported. My suggstion would be to
just get an ATA. It'll be much less hassle.

Gordon
Old February 21st 09, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Gordon Henderson presented the following explanation :

or http://www.3cx.com/

However I've no idea how well it's supported. My suggstion would be to
just get an ATA. It'll be much less hassle.

ditto.