A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) (uk.telecom.voip) Discussion of topics relevant to packet based voice technologies including Voice over IP (VoIP), Fax over IP (FoIP), Voice over Frame Relay (VoFR), Voice over Broadband (VoB) and Voice on the Net (VoN) as well as service providers, hardware and software for use with these technologies. Advertising is not allowed.

Problem (I think) with C475IP and firewall



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 23rd 09, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 180
Default Problem (I think) with C475IP and firewall

I *seem* to have a problem with my Siemens C475IP and my Draytek Vigor
2820n firewall. I suspect I may be suffering from the effects of
changing things and forgetting how they might affect the VOIP.

I have recently changed to using dnsmasq in my Linux box for DNS and
DHCP, this has various advantages for me, the C475IP seems to work OK
with it and tells dnsmasq that its name id C475IP which is OK by me.
(I think the C475IP obtained its IP dynamically before though, from
the 2820n which used to have its DHCP server turned on)

I can successfully get to the web configuration of the C475IP so it is
connected to the LAN OK.

Until a while ago both SipDiscount and Sipgate were set up and
functioning OK on the C475IP, now neither of them works, they sit
obstinately with the status at "Server not accessible". According to
the C475IP manual this means that the C475IP can't access the outside
world at all. This suggests to me that I have screwed up the firewall
settings somehow but I can't see anything wrong at the moment. However
I *may* have changed something without realising that it was to do
with VOIP as we don't use the VOIP frequently enough to notice a
problem immediately.

What does VOIP require in terms of 'holes' through the firewall? I'm
currently set up so that *anything* outgoing (LAN - WAN) is allowed
except for BIOS ports. So the C475IP should be able to send packets.
Do I need to explicitly allow incoming data (as opposed to replies) on
the VOIP ports as well? Would this prevent the C475IP registering?

--
Chris Green
  #2  
Old February 23rd 09, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,539
Default Problem (I think) with C475IP and firewall

laid this down on his screen :
I *seem* to have a problem with my Siemens C475IP and my Draytek Vigor
2820n firewall. I suspect I may be suffering from the effects of
changing things and forgetting how they might affect the VOIP.

I have recently changed to using dnsmasq in my Linux box for DNS and
DHCP, this has various advantages for me, the C475IP seems to work OK
with it and tells dnsmasq that its name id C475IP which is OK by me.
(I think the C475IP obtained its IP dynamically before though, from
the 2820n which used to have its DHCP server turned on)

I can successfully get to the web configuration of the C475IP so it is
connected to the LAN OK.

Until a while ago both SipDiscount and Sipgate were set up and
functioning OK on the C475IP, now neither of them works, they sit
obstinately with the status at "Server not accessible". According to
the C475IP manual this means that the C475IP can't access the outside
world at all. This suggests to me that I have screwed up the firewall
settings somehow but I can't see anything wrong at the moment. However
I *may* have changed something without realising that it was to do
with VOIP as we don't use the VOIP frequently enough to notice a
problem immediately.

What does VOIP require in terms of 'holes' through the firewall? I'm
currently set up so that *anything* outgoing (LAN - WAN) is allowed
except for BIOS ports. So the C475IP should be able to send packets.
Do I need to explicitly allow incoming data (as opposed to replies) on
the VOIP ports as well? Would this prevent the C475IP registering?


You shouldn't need to open any inbound ports; certainly not for
Sipgate.

Double check your settings on the page
http://IPofSiemens/settings_lan.html. Try opendns server addresses
208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220


  #3  
Old February 23rd 09, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 180
Default Problem (I think) with C475IP and firewall

Jono wrote:
laid this down on his screen :
I *seem* to have a problem with my Siemens C475IP and my Draytek Vigor
2820n firewall. I suspect I may be suffering from the effects of
changing things and forgetting how they might affect the VOIP.

I have recently changed to using dnsmasq in my Linux box for DNS and
DHCP, this has various advantages for me, the C475IP seems to work OK
with it and tells dnsmasq that its name id C475IP which is OK by me.
(I think the C475IP obtained its IP dynamically before though, from
the 2820n which used to have its DHCP server turned on)

I can successfully get to the web configuration of the C475IP so it is
connected to the LAN OK.

Until a while ago both SipDiscount and Sipgate were set up and
functioning OK on the C475IP, now neither of them works, they sit
obstinately with the status at "Server not accessible". According to
the C475IP manual this means that the C475IP can't access the outside
world at all. This suggests to me that I have screwed up the firewall
settings somehow but I can't see anything wrong at the moment. However
I *may* have changed something without realising that it was to do
with VOIP as we don't use the VOIP frequently enough to notice a
problem immediately.

What does VOIP require in terms of 'holes' through the firewall? I'm
currently set up so that *anything* outgoing (LAN - WAN) is allowed
except for BIOS ports. So the C475IP should be able to send packets.
Do I need to explicitly allow incoming data (as opposed to replies) on
the VOIP ports as well? Would this prevent the C475IP registering?


You shouldn't need to open any inbound ports; certainly not for
Sipgate.

Double check your settings on the page
http://IPofSiemens/settings_lan.html.


That just sets dynamic or static IP for the C475IP doesn't it? It has
always been set for dynamic, i.e. "IP address type" is "Obtained
automatically". No proxies or anything else like that.

Try opendns server addresses
208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220

DNS is fine:-

[email protected]:~$ host sip.sipdiscount.com
sip.sipdiscount.com has address 194.221.62.198
sip.sipdiscount.com has address 194.120.0.198
[email protected]:~$ host sipgate.co.uk
sipgate.co.uk has address 217.10.79.23
sipgate.co.uk mail is handled by 10 ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
sipgate.co.uk mail is handled by 10 ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
sipgate.co.uk mail is handled by 10 ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
sipgate.co.uk mail is handled by 10 ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
sipgate.co.uk mail is handled by 1 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
sipgate.co.uk mail is handled by 5 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
sipgate.co.uk mail is handled by 5 ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.


I've rechecked all my settings on the C475IP and can't see anything
amiss. I auto-configured the Sipgate one from Siemens and it agrees
with what I had anyway. Still "Server not accessible". :-(

Even the Gigaset.net connection says "Server not accessible".

I'm wondering if someone (i.e. my ISP) has blocked port 5060. I'll ask.

--
Chris Green
  #4  
Old February 23rd 09, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 797
Default Problem (I think) with C475IP and firewall

In article ,
wrote:
I *seem* to have a problem with my Siemens C475IP and my Draytek Vigor
2820n firewall. I suspect I may be suffering from the effects of
changing things and forgetting how they might affect the VOIP.


So what did you change

I have recently changed to using dnsmasq in my Linux box for DNS and
DHCP, this has various advantages for me, the C475IP seems to work OK
with it and tells dnsmasq that its name id C475IP which is OK by me.
(I think the C475IP obtained its IP dynamically before though, from
the 2820n which used to have its DHCP server turned on)


Is the Linux box doing any routing/firewalling, etc. ? or is it just a
passive host on your LAN, doing DHCP and DNS for you?

(And I presume you turned DHCP off on the router!)

You shouldn't need any port-forwards in your router, however, Drayteks
do have a "SIP ALG" which sometimes gets in the way - or it'll work OK
with one device, but fail with more than one...

Telnet to the router (usually 192.168.1.1), login with the routers
username (admin) and password ... and type the following command:

sys sip alg 0

and see if this helps.

Gordon
  #5  
Old February 23rd 09, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 180
Default Problem (I think) with C475IP and firewall

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
I *seem* to have a problem with my Siemens C475IP and my Draytek Vigor
2820n firewall. I suspect I may be suffering from the effects of
changing things and forgetting how they might affect the VOIP.


So what did you change

I have recently changed to using dnsmasq in my Linux box for DNS and
DHCP, this has various advantages for me, the C475IP seems to work OK
with it and tells dnsmasq that its name id C475IP which is OK by me.
(I think the C475IP obtained its IP dynamically before though, from
the 2820n which used to have its DHCP server turned on)


Is the Linux box doing any routing/firewalling, etc. ? or is it just a
passive host on your LAN, doing DHCP and DNS for you?

No, the router (192.168.1.1) is the default route.

(And I presume you turned DHCP off on the router!)

Yes! :-)


You shouldn't need any port-forwards in your router, however, Drayteks
do have a "SIP ALG" which sometimes gets in the way - or it'll work OK
with one device, but fail with more than one...

Telnet to the router (usually 192.168.1.1), login with the routers
username (admin) and password ... and type the following command:

sys sip alg 0

and see if this helps.

chris$ telnet 192.168.1.1
Trying 192.168.1.1...
Connected to 192.168.1.1.
Escape character is '^]'.


Password: ********

Type ? for command help

sys sip alg 0

% Too many inputs !!!



Aha! You meant "sys sip_alg 0", I've done that, I'll go and check the C475IP.

It doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I'm going to power cycle the C475IP, see if that does anything for me.


--
Chris Green
  #7  
Old February 23rd 09, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 797
Default Problem (I think) with C475IP and firewall

In article ,
wrote:

Aaaahhhhh!!!! That's fixed it, typical. The reason I hadn't tried it
before is because I'm a lazy git, the C475IP is high up in the house
and rather inaccessible. It's a pity there's no reset from the web
configuration.


Good!

I've whinged at Siemens before about the lack of reboot on them and they
realyl do need it. I now supply *ALL* Siemens units with a 24-hour plug-in
timer to power them off at about 4am and back on about 15 minutes later...

Gordon
  #8  
Old February 23rd 09, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 180
Default Problem (I think) with C475IP and firewall

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

Aaaahhhhh!!!! That's fixed it, typical. The reason I hadn't tried it
before is because I'm a lazy git, the C475IP is high up in the house
and rather inaccessible. It's a pity there's no reset from the web
configuration.


Good!

I've whinged at Siemens before about the lack of reboot on them and they
realyl do need it. I now supply *ALL* Siemens units with a 24-hour plug-in
timer to power them off at about 4am and back on about 15 minutes later...

That's a good idea, we have lots of unused timers floating around, I
could even turn it off for a bit longer and save at least 1p per week.

--
Chris Green
  #9  
Old February 24th 09, 12:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 385
Default Problem (I think) with C475IP and firewall

Gordon Henderson wrote:

I've whinged at Siemens before about the lack of reboot on them and they
realyl do need it. I now supply *ALL* Siemens units with a 24-hour plug-in
timer to power them off at about 4am and back on about 15 minutes later...


Mine hasn't been rebooted since November and is still working nicely


Tim
  #10  
Old February 24th 09, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 797
Default Problem (I think) with C475IP and firewall

In article ,
Tim wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:

I've whinged at Siemens before about the lack of reboot on them and they
realyl do need it. I now supply *ALL* Siemens units with a 24-hour plug-in
timer to power them off at about 4am and back on about 15 minutes later...


Mine hasn't been rebooted since November and is still working nicely


Once bitten... I suspect it's all to do with call volume too. I rarely
reboot my own one, but my first real deployment was to a place who were
making/taking a call every 5 minutes... A few days ofthat and they's
lose registration & need rebooting.


Gordon
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gigaset C475IP firmware Ian Pawson uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 3 January 19th 09 12:08 PM
Siemens C475IP Tim Bray uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 27 April 30th 08 05:37 PM
Setting up C475IP with Sipgate - help please [email protected] uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 4 April 11th 08 07:48 PM
A small question about the Siemens C475IP [email protected] uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 2 April 9th 08 06:31 PM
Firewall problem I think M Jones uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 3 December 28th 04 11:05 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.