Cheapest (good) cable router with dual channel FSX port and QoS

Old February 27th 09, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JR

Default Cheapest (good) cable router with dual channel FSX port and QoS

Hi all,

Please can someone advise me on the above?

I think I have the terminology correct, apologies if not. Essentially I
want a cable router with QoS and to be able to plug a standard phone in
which will receive calls on one service (Sipgate) but make outgoing
calls on another (voipcheap).

I don't care about wireless or the number of ethernet ports - I have
lots of other equipment to take care of those needs.

TIA

Jon
Old February 27th 09, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

JR pretended :
Hi all,

Please can someone advise me on the above?

I think I have the terminology correct, apologies if not. Essentially I want
a cable router with QoS and to be able to plug a standard phone in which will
receive calls on one service (Sipgate) but make outgoing calls on another
(voipcheap).

I don't care about wireless or the number of ethernet ports - I have lots of
other equipment to take care of those needs.

TIA

Jon

I'm sure there's something in the Fritz!box range that will suit your
requirements.

perhaps this one?

http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_inf...roducts_id=146

Old February 27th 09, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

JR wrote:
Hi all,

Please can someone advise me on the above?

I think I have the terminology correct, apologies if not. Essentially I
want a cable router with QoS and to be able to plug a standard phone in
which will receive calls on one service (Sipgate) but make outgoing
calls on another (voipcheap).

For upstream only QoS, then SPA-2102

Also consider:
AVM 5124

Tim
Old February 28th 09, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Jono wrote:
JR pretended :
Hi all,

Please can someone advise me on the above?

I think I have the terminology correct, apologies if not. Essentially
I want a cable router with QoS and to be able to plug a standard phone
in which will receive calls on one service (Sipgate) but make outgoing
calls on another (voipcheap).

I don't care about wireless or the number of ethernet ports - I have
lots of other equipment to take care of those needs.

TIA

Jon

I'm sure there's something in the Fritz!box range that will suit your
requirements.

perhaps this one?

http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_inf...roducts_id=146

The QoS on the Fritzbox 7140, that I have, is very effective. I use one
just as a router. I prefer the SPA-3000 (now replaced by the SPA-3102)
as an ATA.
Recently I have tested out QoS on a couple of boxes. The SPA-3102 is a
good, very configurable, ATA. However, the QoS is total rubbish, in fact
I don't think it does anything at all! Of course that only applies if
you are using it as a router. As an ATA it is just fine.
I also tried a new Netgear Wireless N Router, the model number escapes
me. It stated on the box that it would provide QoS for voip calls. I
have little doubt that it would have worked on gaming etc. but it was
useless for voip (SPA-3102 attached). They can't have even tried it out.
It didn't matter how I configured it, by port, MAC address or otherwise,
it was crap. If I set the computer to do a download and then tried a
telephone conversation the audio would cut at regular intervals as
though the QoS was time shared. It seemed that it just divided the time
up as to when a particular application/hardware was given full service.
That scenario is obviously useless for voip. This test was on 1Mb/s ADSL
line (Telstra - how unfortunate the Australians are having Telstra
broadband. It is way overpriced and poor quality IMO)
I have mentioned the above just to indicate how QoS is not always as
good as some manufacturers state. I don't know if the ordinary Fritzbox
routers have QoS ( I just haven't checked them out) but if they have,
and it is as good as the 7140, that I have, then I'd go for a Fritzbox
router and an SPA-3102. OK, the SPA-3102 is, perhaps, a little harder to
set up than the voip telephone part of the Fritzbox but it is much more
configurable.
Usually with cable you get a modem with an Ethernet output so you can
plug your Fritzbox into that. If it is an ADSL modem/router then you
would bypass the internal ADSL modem and connect your cable modem to the
first Ethernet socket.

Old March 2nd 09, 07:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Sinna

JR wrote:
Hi all,

Please can someone advise me on the above?

I think I have the terminology correct, apologies if not. Essentially I
want a cable router with QoS and to be able to plug a standard phone in
which will receive calls on one service (Sipgate) but make outgoing
calls on another (voipcheap).

I don't care about wireless or the number of ethernet ports - I have
lots of other equipment to take care of those needs.

TIA

Jon

I use the SPA-3102 as VoIP gateway (at the moment the router
functionality is barely used). Last weekend I managed (finally) to set
it up to use a different provider for incoming and outgoing calls. The
only requirement is that the provider used for outgoing calls doesn't
require registration/authentication (VoipCheap doesn't require it

The SPA-3102 also allows a quite intuitive dial plan that can be
extended in that way you can choose what provider to use for calling.
At the moment I've set up the same outgoing provider twice but with a
different CallerID so I can choose what number appears on the
destination phone: my fixed line or my mobile.

Sinna
Old March 2nd 09, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JR

Sinna wrote:
JR wrote:
[...]

Thank you all who replied - SPA-3102 ordered.
Old March 2nd 09, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

JR submitted this idea :
Sinna wrote:
JR wrote:
[...]

Erm, I take it you didn't see BrianA's post "The SPA-3102 is a good,
very configurable, ATA. However, the QoS is total rubbish"

I'm sure it will also struggle with Cable connections greater than
~2Mb. I bet you wouldn't get the full throughput of 10Mb, let alone
20Mb or moore.

Old March 2nd 09, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JR

Jono wrote:
JR submitted this idea :
Sinna wrote:
JR wrote:
[...]

Sorry - I should have added to this - I found an old Zyxel router I had
which has QoS. I only stopped using it because I purchased a wifi router
but now I have configured that to be an AP. I'll see how it goes.
Old March 3rd 09, 07:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Sinna

Jono wrote:
JR submitted this idea :
Sinna wrote:
JR wrote:
[...]

I'll check it out once I have my new network setup (getting wired
again). Now my connection speed is 2Mbit at max so I don't think I'll be
running into this limitation. On my new network 6Mbit should be possible.

Sinna
Old March 4th 09, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jarek

JR pisze:
Hi all,

Please can someone advise me on the above?

I think I have the terminology correct, apologies if not. Essentially I
want a cable router with QoS and to be able to plug a standard phone in
which will receive calls on one service (Sipgate) but make outgoing
calls on another (voipcheap).

I don't care about wireless or the number of ethernet ports - I have
lots of other equipment to take care of those needs.

TIA

Jon

Hi,

try with "http://www.mikrotik.com/routers.php"
model "(R3) Firewall/Traffic Control unit Standard"

That's only router but have QoS options and many more.

--
Jarek