Router/Wireless problem?

Old March 3rd 09, 01:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sam

Default Router/Wireless problem?

I've just formatted and reinstalled XP HE SP3 on an Acer laptop, and Vista
Basic SP1 on a Packard Bell machine, for two friends. Neither laptop could
detect my wireless network, despite being only a couple of feet from my
router, a 3Com (US Robotics) OfficeConnect ADSL Firewall Router. And yet, on
returning the laptops to their owners, both detected networks in range and
connected quickly and easily to their respective ones.

I've checked my router's settings, and none have changed. It's still
working okay, connecting one PC and two laptops in the house on an existing
network, without a hitch.

Is there a setting I can check? I did check firewall settings, SSID, and
both wireless switches on the laptops were on...

Thanks for any advice.

Sam

Old March 3rd 09, 01:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Sam says...

I've just formatted and reinstalled XP HE SP3 on an Acer laptop, and Vista
Basic SP1 on a Packard Bell machine, for two friends. Neither laptop could
detect my wireless network, despite being only a couple of feet from my
router, a 3Com (US Robotics) OfficeConnect ADSL Firewall Router. And yet, on
returning the laptops to their owners, both detected networks in range and
connected quickly and easily to their respective ones.

I've checked my router's settings, and none have changed. It's still
working okay, connecting one PC and two laptops in the house on an existing
network, without a hitch.

Is there a setting I can check? I did check firewall settings, SSID, and
both wireless switches on the laptops were on...

If your routers wifi is on channel 12 or 13, you need to make sure that
the drivers for the wifi devices have their region set to UK as some
default to US and in the USA, they only go up to channel 11. You can do
that in Device Manager, network devices, right clicking on the wifi
card, selecting Properties, clicking on the Advanced tab then scrolling
down the list to the appropriate entry.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old March 3rd 09, 01:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 13:16:04 -0000
"Sam" wrote:

I've just formatted and reinstalled XP HE SP3 on an Acer laptop, and
Vista Basic SP1 on a Packard Bell machine, for two friends. Neither
laptop could detect my wireless network, despite being only a couple
of feet from my router, a 3Com (US Robotics) OfficeConnect ADSL
Firewall Router. And yet, on returning the laptops to their owners,
both detected networks in range and connected quickly and easily to
their respective ones.

I've checked my router's settings, and none have changed. It's still
working okay, connecting one PC and two laptops in the house on an
existing network, without a hitch.

Is there a setting I can check? I did check firewall settings, SSID,
and both wireless switches on the laptops were on...

Have you disabled SSID broadcast on your router? It's a good thing to
do WRT security, but one more configuration setting needed on the client
machines.

Old March 3rd 09, 05:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sam

"Conor" wrote in message
In article , Sam says...

[...]

HI Conor, My router is on channel 12 - I did as you said above, and in the
list under the advanced tab, I couldn't see anything which suggested it was
a driver version... what exactly am I looking for, please? Funny thing is,
no sooner had I said that the existing network works okay, than on one of
the networked laptops, the wireless connection had disappeared completely,
not even showing up in 'network connections', until I rebooted.

Wish I knew what was going on :-)

Thanks,
Sam

Old March 3rd 09, 05:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sam

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 13:16:04 -0000
"Sam" wrote:

[...]

No Rob, I hadn't disabled the SSID, I double checked to make sure it was
enabled.

Old March 3rd 09, 07:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clive

"Sam" wrote in message

I've just formatted and reinstalled XP HE SP3 on an Acer laptop, and Vista
Basic SP1 on a Packard Bell machine, for two friends. Neither laptop
could detect my wireless network, despite being only a couple of feet from
my router, a 3Com (US Robotics) OfficeConnect ADSL Firewall Router. And
yet, on returning the laptops to their owners, both detected networks in
range and connected quickly and easily to their respective ones.

I've checked my router's settings, and none have changed. It's still
working okay, connecting one PC and two laptops in the house on an
existing network, without a hitch.

Is there a setting I can check? I did check firewall settings, SSID, and
both wireless switches on the laptops were on...

Thanks for any advice.

Sam

Your router is faulty.

Old March 3rd 09, 10:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Sam says...

HI Conor, My router is on channel 12 - I did as you said above, and in the
list under the advanced tab, I couldn't see anything which suggested it was
a driver version... what exactly am I looking for, please?

You're looking for the entries under Advanced and one of them should
say "Region" or similar. Depends on what the drivers include.

Old March 4th 09, 07:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
LR

On 03/03/2009 22:28, Conor wrote:
In , Sam says...

HI Conor, My router is on channel 12 - I did as you said above, and in the
list under the advanced tab, I couldn't see anything which suggested it was
a driver version... what exactly am I looking for, please?

You're looking for the entries under Advanced and one of them should
say "Region" or similar. Depends on what the drivers include.

Depends on the make of laptop as well. One of my neighbours has a
company "Toshiba" laptop and the wireless card is a "World-card" and not
of the "ets" variety.
http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/FAQ35002P0001R01.htm
Old March 6th 09, 01:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sam

"Clive" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message

I've just formatted and reinstalled XP HE SP3 on an Acer laptop, and
Vista Basic SP1 on a Packard Bell machine, for two friends. Neither
laptop could detect my wireless network, despite being only a couple of
feet from my router, a 3Com (US Robotics) OfficeConnect ADSL Firewall
Router. And yet, on returning the laptops to their owners, both detected
networks in range and connected quickly and easily to their respective
ones.

I've checked my router's settings, and none have changed. It's still
working okay, connecting one PC and two laptops in the house on an
existing network, without a hitch.

Is there a setting I can check? I did check firewall settings, SSID, and
both wireless switches on the laptops were on...

Thanks for any advice.

Sam

Your router is faulty.

I think you might be right!

Old March 6th 09, 01:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sam

"Conor" wrote in message
In article , Sam says...

HI Conor, My router is on channel 12 - I did as you said above, and in
the
list under the advanced tab, I couldn't see anything which suggested it
was
a driver version... what exactly am I looking for, please?

You're looking for the entries under Advanced and one of them should
say "Region" or similar. Depends on what the drivers include.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams

Didn't see that listed, Conor. The router must be knackered, yet another
laptop couldn't see my network, but easily found three others at a friends
house.

Thanks for your help, anyway.

Sam