Fritz!box + traditional PBX

Old March 5th 09, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Default Fritz!box + traditional PBX

Hello,

Can anyone advise of any gotchas with the idea of using a Fritz!box
router to provide a couple of SIP trunks via analogue line ports on a
traditional PBX?

Fritz!box ~ 100

or

VoiP Card for PBX ~ 400
Plus QoS device ~ 250

Cheers.

Old March 5th 09, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Jono wrote:
Hello,

Can anyone advise of any gotchas with the idea of using a Fritz!box
router to provide a couple of SIP trunks via analogue line ports on a
traditional PBX?

Fritz!box ~ 100

or

VoiP Card for PBX ~ 400
Plus QoS device ~ 250

One of my clients is doing this to VoIP Front their analogue Siemens
PBX... (Although they're using a 2-port Linksys box of some sort - it
identifies as: Linksys/PAP2-3.1.22(LS)

A down-side of the Fritz box is that it will block all internal SIP phones
- at least that's been my experience of the only one I've ever used...
(But then so do Draytek V's!)

Gordon
Old March 6th 09, 12:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Gordon Henderson was thinking very hard :
In article ,
Jono wrote:
Hello,

Can anyone advise of any gotchas with the idea of using a Fritz!box
router to provide a couple of SIP trunks via analogue line ports on a
traditional PBX?

Fritz!box ~ 100

or

VoiP Card for PBX ~ 400
Plus QoS device ~ 250

One of my clients is doing this to VoIP Front their analogue Siemens
PBX... (Although they're using a 2-port Linksys box of some sort - it
identifies as: Linksys/PAP2-3.1.22(LS)

I've done it with SPAs before; was more wondering if any "feature" of
the Fritz!box itself would cause issues.

A down-side of the Fritz box is that it will block all internal SIP phones
- at least that's been my experience of the only one I've ever used...
(But then so do Draytek V's!)

All the phones a Proprietary digital handsets; I just need to add a
couple of SIP trunks to an existing system, with QoS.

Old March 6th 09, 01:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

In ,
Jono typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: Hello,
:
: Can anyone advise of any gotchas with the idea of using a Fritz!box
: router to provide a couple of SIP trunks via analogue line ports on a
: traditional PBX?
:
: Fritz!box ~ 100
:
: or
:
: VoiP Card for PBX ~ 400
: Plus QoS device ~ 250
:
: Cheers.

What do you want to know..? I use a Fritz!Box 7170 with a London 16 PABX
and it works fine. I have to remember to use the correct access code (81,
82, 83 etc) for outgoing calls if I want to use a specific line, as the
usual '9' picks a line at random, but I have these codes programmed in as
1-button speed dials on most of the phones so it's not too much of a
hassle.

Ivor

Old March 6th 09, 07:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

Jono wrote:
[...]

If you'll accept the Fritsz box as their ADSL router then it ought to
be fine.

Oh, then other "bad" thing about the Fritz is that it blocks the dialling
of "star" codes because it wants to interpret them itself - most phones
do this, but you can turn them off. This means that to send codes to
the remote hosted service is hard.

There is a way to do it, but it's f'ing tedious and involves dialling
a really weird set of codes.

You need to dial: *121#*# followed by your own star codes.

I found this out through their support system. It's the one thing that
stopped me buying these boxes to use as combined ATA/ADSL boxes. It may
not be an issue in your setup though.

Gordon

Old March 6th 09, 07:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

It happens that Gordon Henderson formulated :
Jono wrote:
[...]

Jolly good. It's just be for incoming calls anyway, so the star codes
won't be an issue.

Thanks.

Old March 6th 09, 07:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Ivor Jones explained :
In ,
Jono typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
Hello,

Can anyone advise of any gotchas with the idea of using a Fritz!box
router to provide a couple of SIP trunks via analogue line ports on a
traditional PBX?

Fritz!box ~ 100

or

VoiP Card for PBX ~ 400
Plus QoS device ~ 250

Cheers.

What do you want to know..?

The below is enough, thanks.

Old March 6th 09, 08:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Gordon Henderson formulated the question :
If you'll accept the Fritsz box as their ADSL router then it ought to
be fine.

That's the idea to benefit from a bit of QoS - I take it they're OK as
ADSL routers...?

Old March 6th 09, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Jono wrote:
Hello,

Can anyone advise of any gotchas with the idea of using a Fritz!box
router to provide a couple of SIP trunks via analogue line ports on a
traditional PBX?

Do it.

If it's an ISDN PBX then consider using the ISDN port on the Fritz.

I've also got a looking promising solution for ISDN30 SIP trunks to a PBX,

Tim
Old March 6th 09, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Jono wrote:
Gordon Henderson formulated the question :
If you'll accept the Fritsz box as their ADSL router then it ought to
be fine.

That's the idea to benefit from a bit of QoS - I take it they're OK as
ADSL routers...?

They appear to be, but I only have one client using one - and although
they have a SIP phone attached to it, my PBX behind it has to use IAX
to get through it. Client makes 2-300 calls a week through it without
complains...

Gordon