Need advice re VOIP supplier

Old March 6th 09, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Spence

Default Need advice re VOIP supplier

Hi all,

I need some advice/recommendations for a VOIP supplier. This will be in
addition to and not in place of our current landline.

I have a Draytek 2800V router so can plug an ordinary phone to the
internet (specifically didn't want a PC soft phone). Would like to call
other VOIP users (for free, preferably) and particularly have a couple
of contacts who use Skype, so would like to connect to Skype
subscribers for free if possible.

Googled for VOIP service providers, but there are so many I don't know
where to start (the words Printout, Blindfold and Dart come to mind).

Suggestions welcomed please.

--
Spence
Computing Services - because IT needn't be difficult

Old March 6th 09, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Spence spencelayhathotmaildotcodotuk wrote:
Hi all,

I need some advice/recommendations for a VOIP supplier. This will be in
addition to and not in place of our current landline.

I have a Draytek 2800V router so can plug an ordinary phone to the
internet (specifically didn't want a PC soft phone). Would like to call
other VOIP users (for free, preferably) and particularly have a couple
of contacts who use Skype, so would like to connect to Skype
subscribers for free if possible.

Generally, you can only call other VoIP users for free if they are on the
same network as you (and by network, I don't mean The Internet!) So Skype
to Skype, Sipgate to Sipgate, Gizmo to Gizmo and so on should all be free.

A bit like when the cable phone companies started - telewest, videotron,
ntl, eurobell and so on - all would let you call others on their network
for free, but charged to call people off their network...

Occasionally you can find service providers who peer with each other, and
there are various independant services which allow you to effectively
run your own "switch", but then you need an account on each of the
VoIP networks, using their services to join them together.

Skype, while VoIP isn't standards based VoIP, it's proprietary and
right now, the only way to connect to the Skype network is with a Skype
phone. The ports on your Draytek router, and just about everyone else
uses an open protocol called SIP.

I think there are SIP to Skype gateways, but I don't know of any myself.

In theory, any SIP user can call any other SIP user, but there are
security (and spam) issues here, (and NAT firewalls), so most people
don't.

Googled for VOIP service providers, but there are so many I don't know
where to start (the words Printout, Blindfold and Dart come to mind).

Suggestions welcomed please.

I'll leave that to others...

Gordon
Old March 6th 09, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Spence" spencelayhathotmaildotcodotuk wrote in message
Hi all,

I need some advice/recommendations for a VOIP supplier. This will be in
addition to and not in place of our current landline.

I have a Draytek 2800V router so can plug an ordinary phone to the
internet (specifically didn't want a PC soft phone). Would like to call
other VOIP users (for free, preferably) and particularly have a couple
of contacts who use Skype, so would like to connect to Skype
subscribers for free if possible.

Googled for VOIP service providers, but there are so many I don't know
where to start (the words Printout, Blindfold and Dart come to mind).

Suggestions welcomed please.

--
Spence
Computing Services - because IT needn't be difficult
http://www.compservonline.co.uk/
Replace at and dot with their symbols to email

Here is my recommendation, ideally you will need an ATA,
or VOIP enabled router that supports two accounts,
I don't know if the 2800V does.

For incoming calls from the PSTN get an account from

http://www.sipgate.co.uk

They will give you a UK geographic telephone
number for any STD code of your choice and it won't
cost a bean if you don't buy talk-time

For outgoing calls I use one of the "Betamax clones"
you might have heard of during your Googling, viz.

http://www.smslisto.com

You buy credit 10.60 euros and calls to UK mobiles
are less the 5 pence per min. Calls to UK landlines are
free providing you haven't made more than 300 minuets-
worth of them in the preceding 7 days. (Then you get charged
about a penny/min)
Look at the international rates yourself, many are free.

Skype it a preparatory protocol that has gained a popularity
it does not deserve IMHO. "Skype Out" calls are not particularly
cheap.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old March 6th 09, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Spence

In article , Gordon Henderson wrote:

Generally, you can only call other VoIP users for free if they are on

the
same network as you (and by network, I don't mean The Internet!) So

Skype
to Skype, Sipgate to Sipgate, Gizmo to Gizmo and so on should all be

free.

A bit like when the cable phone companies started - telewest, videotron,
ntl, eurobell and so on - all would let you call others on their network
for free, but charged to call people off their network...

Pretty much what I'd found, especially with Skype, but hope wisdom here
might know better.

Occasionally you can find service providers who peer with each other,

and
there are various independant services which allow you to effectively
run your own "switch", but then you need an account on each of the
VoIP networks, using their services to join them together.

Did find sipbroker, which seems to go some way to providing 'cross-border'
connections.

I think there are SIP to Skype gateways, but I don't know of any myself.

Couldn't find any either, but the I'm sure Skype wouldn't advertise it.

In theory, any SIP user can call any other SIP user, but there are
security (and spam) issues here, (and NAT firewalls), so most people
don't.

I like theory - would like it even more if it worked as well.

Old March 6th 09, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Spence

In article , Graham. wrote:

Here is my recommendation, ideally you will need an ATA,
or VOIP enabled router that supports two accounts,
I don't know if the 2800V does.

Looks like I have up to 6 accounts available on the 2800V.

For incoming calls from the PSTN get an account from

http://www.sipgate.co.uk

They will give you a UK geographic telephone
number for any STD code of your choice and it won't
cost a bean if you don't buy talk-time

OK. Sipgate certainly seems one of the most popular here.

For outgoing calls I use one of the "Betamax clones"
you might have heard of during your Googling, viz.

http://www.smslisto.com

You buy credit 10.60 euros and calls to UK mobiles
are less the 5 pence per min. Calls to UK landlines are
free providing you haven't made more than 300 minuets-
worth of them in the preceding 7 days. (Then you get charged
about a penny/min)
Look at the international rates yourself, many are free.

Skype it a preparatory protocol that has gained a popularity
it does not deserve IMHO. "Skype Out" calls are not particularly
cheap.

My particular beef with Skype is the requirement to use a softphone
(presumably due to the proprietary protocol).

Thanks for the help.

Old March 6th 09, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

Actually Spence, giving you that reply inspired me to try
something, and now I can make calls via Betamax and receive
calls via Sipgate on a device with only one account.

For those interested, device registered to Betamax as normal
Sipgate account(s) registered to pbxes.org
inbound route diverting to sip uri

It works a treat, and I imagine mysipswitch would work
equally well, as would voxalot, if you pay for a registration.

I'm just kicking myself for not sussing this out ages ago.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old March 6th 09, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Spence spencelayhathotmaildotcodotuk wrote:
In article , Gordon Henderson wrote:

I think there are SIP to Skype gateways, but I don't know of any myself.

Couldn't find any either, but the I'm sure Skype wouldn't advertise it.

I'm not sure - they seem to be trying to push their codec (Called "Silk")
and going on about make it freely avalable. There are 2 (I think) modules
for the asterisk PBX which claim Skype connectivity, but 6 months after
one was announced by Digium, we're no closer to seeing it...

In theory, any SIP user can call any other SIP user, but there are
security (and spam) issues here, (and NAT firewalls), so most people
don't.

I like theory - would like it even more if it worked as well.

If there were no NAT and no Spammers in the world, then it would work...

However with (say) 10 phones behind a NAT firewall, how would you specify
which one to dial - you'll need more than just the IP addres...

And trying to dial an IP address from a handset is not easy either )-:

I can setup a PBX to accept incoming calls from every man and their dog
and publish a URI to it - eg. but I'm not sure I
want people who can trivially forge their calling ID to calll me. Call
me paranoid, but ...

I'm surprised the spammers haven't started to automate Skype calling yet -
or have they?

Gordon

Old March 6th 09, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Spence spencelayhathotmaildotcodotuk wrote:

My particular beef with Skype is the requirement to use a softphone
(presumably due to the proprietary protocol).

I think there are Skype deskphones now, but if they had both Skype and
SIP functionality, I think they'd be onto a winner ...

Gordon
Old March 6th 09, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Gordon Henderson expressed precisely :
There are 2 (I think) modules
for the asterisk PBX which claim Skype connectivity, but 6 months after
one was announced by Digium, we're no closer to seeing it...

not ideal but functional. http://nerdvittles.com/index.php?p=587

is this one of them?

Old March 6th 09, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bodincus

Gordon Henderson:
In article ,
Spence spencelayhathotmaildotcodotuk wrote:

My particular beef with Skype is the requirement to use a softphone
(presumably due to the proprietary protocol).

I think there are Skype deskphones now, but if they had both Skype and
SIP functionality, I think they'd be onto a winner ...

Gordon

Skype won't let a manufacturer have their proprietary protocol AND an
open protocol like SIP on the same device.
Philips couldn't integrate SIP on their own Skype / MSN phone because
Skype forbid them. If Philips can't make it, who will?
Forget it, on the same device - never.

--
dincs - The Y2K Druid

|Linux *is* user friendly.|