Running PBX on a Fritzbox?

Old March 7th 09, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

Default Running PBX on a Fritzbox?

I am currently experimenting with my 7140 Fritzboz. I have eventually
worked out how to Telnet into the box and I can see some of the familiar
Linux directories etc. I have read various articles about how programs
can be run on a USB stick plugged into the Frizbox (eg.'Open wrt'). As I
understand it another Linux OS can be installed, on the USB stick, as
well as the required software and then it is all started up by via the OS
on the Fritzbox. I have seen references to using Asterisk in this way but
anything I've seen has been in German and hasn't been very informative,
even when I have pushed it though a translator. So, does anyone know a
source of information, preferably in English, that describes how to set
up one of the PBX distros such as 'PBX in Flash', Trixbox etc. to run on
the Fritzbox?

Old March 7th 09, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Brian wrote:

I am currently experimenting with my 7140 Fritzboz. I have eventually
worked out how to Telnet into the box and I can see some of the familiar
Linux directories etc. I have read various articles about how programs
can be run on a USB stick plugged into the Frizbox (eg.'Open wrt'). As I
understand it another Linux OS can be installed, on the USB stick, as
well as the required software and then it is all started up by via the OS
on the Fritzbox.

Asterisk packages are available for OpenWRT. These will give you vanilla
Asterisk, which you'll need to configure using the text editor of your
choice. It's a cool little hack, but of little practical use IMHO. There
are loads of embedded Asterisk systems available, eg Atcom IP01 for ~180.

So, does anyone know a source of information, preferably in English, that
describes how to set up one of the PBX distros such as 'PBX in Flash',
Trixbox etc. to run on the Fritzbox?

Trixbox/PBX in a Flash are far too heavyweight to run on a small embedded
device like a Fritzbox. If it has to be either of these, try a MiniITX PC.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
14:39:17 up 92 days, 16:50, 3 users, load average: 0.13, 0.14, 0.10

Old March 12th 09, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 15:27:07 +0000, alexd wrote:

Brian wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your comments. That makes things much clearer.