Netgear DG834G snmp

Old March 9th 09, 07:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Martin

Default Netgear DG834G snmp

When I telnet to my Netgear router 'ps' shows that snmpd is running.
It doesn't however respond to any snmpget requests and 'nmap' shows port
161 as closed.
I can't find an snmpd.conf file on the router so I don't know where the
community string is stored or even if the conf file is necessary.
I recently upgraded the firmware to V4.01.40 if that is relevant.
Any ideas?

--
john
Old March 9th 09, 07:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stephen Ward

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 19:06:48 +0000, John Martin wrote:

When I telnet to my Netgear router 'ps' shows that snmpd is running. It
doesn't however respond to any snmpget requests and 'nmap' shows port
161 as closed.
I can't find an snmpd.conf file on the router so I don't know where the
community string is stored or even if the conf file is necessary. I
recently upgraded the firmware to V4.01.40 if that is relevant. Any
ideas?

I think you may have found it;

'nmap' shows port 161 as closed :-)
Open it up for UDP and the job's a good'un.

--
.. . .
Old March 10th 09, 12:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Martin

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 19:52:50 +0000, Stephen Ward wrote:

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 19:06:48 +0000, John Martin wrote:

When I telnet to my Netgear router 'ps' shows that snmpd is running. It
doesn't however respond to any snmpget requests and 'nmap' shows port
161 as closed.
I can't find an snmpd.conf file on the router so I don't know where the
community string is stored or even if the conf file is necessary. I
recently upgraded the firmware to V4.01.40 if that is relevant. Any
ideas?

I think you may have found it;

'nmap' shows port 161 as closed :-)
Open it up for UDP and the job's a good'un.

I feel soooo silly......

--
john