Caller ID Problem on a SPA 3102

Old March 9th 09, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Giskard Reventlov

Default Caller ID Problem on a SPA 3102

Thanks to Jono's dial plan I have my SPA 3102 working perfectly apart from a
Caller ID problem! An incoming call only displays the first 8 digits. This
happens on calls via the VOIP line or the PSTN line. I have tried 3 differ
rent phones and all are the same. If the incoming phone number has an entry
in the phonebook on the phone the correct name is displayed. If I look in
the caller ID log on the phone afterwards the first 8 digits are stored
first then the full number and then the dater and time of the call.

Al my settings in regional- misc are set up correctly as far as my Googling
would indicate and under PSTN-To-VoIP Gateway Setup the settings there are
correct so I am at a loss what to do - any suggestions would be welcome!

Old March 10th 09, 07:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

on 09/03/2009, R. Giskard Reventlov supposed :
Thanks to Jono's dial plan I have my SPA 3102 working perfectly apart from a
Caller ID problem! An incoming call only displays the first 8 digits. This
happens on calls via the VOIP line or the PSTN line. I have tried 3 differ
rent phones and all are the same. If the incoming phone number has an entry
in the phonebook on the phone the correct name is displayed. If I look in the
caller ID log on the phone afterwards the first 8 digits are stored first
then the full number and then the dater and time of the call.

Al my settings in regional- misc are set up correctly as far as my Googling
would indicate and under PSTN-To-VoIP Gateway Setup the settings there are
correct so I am at a loss what to do - any suggestions would be welcome!

Does it happen only on PSTN calls? What about inbound VoIP calls?

Have a look through {{{{Welcome}}}}'s suggested regional settings for
most SPA's:

Admin Login
Advanced View

Under Regional Tab.

Dial Tone: [email protected],[email protected];60(*/0/1+2)
Second Dial Tone: [email protected],[email protected];60(*/0/1+2)
Outside Dial Tone: [email protected];60(*/0/1)
Prompt Tone: [email protected],[email protected];60(*/0/1+2)
Busy Tone: /1)
Reorder Tone: [email protected];20(*/0/1)
Off Hook Warning Tone: /1+2)
Ring Back Tone: /2/1+2)
Confirm Tone: /1)
SIT1 Tone:
/0/3,0/1/0)
SIT2 Tone:
/0/3,0/4/0)
SIT3 Tone:
/0/3,0/4/0)
SIT4 Tone:
/0/3,0/4/0)
MWI Dial Tone: /1+2)
Cfwd Dial Tone: /1+2);10(*/0/1+2)
DND Dial Tone: /2);10(*/0/1+2)
Holding Tone: /1)
Conference Tone: /1)
Secure Call Indication Tone: /2)
Feature Invocation Tone: /1)

Ring1 Cadence: 60(.4/.2,.4/2)
Ring2 Cadence: 60(1/2)
Ring3 Cadence: 60(.25/.25,.25/.25,.25/1.75)

Ring1 Cadence = The UK Ringing pattern.

CWT1 Cadence: 30(.2/.2,.2/4.4)

Ring Waveform: Sinusoid (though Trapezoid may help problematic phones
to ring).
Ring Frequency: 25
Ring Voltage: 80 (You can use 70, if problems try 75, 80, 85, 90)
CWT Frequency: [email protected]
Synchronized Ring: Yes

Hook Flash Timer Min: .06
Hook Flash Timer Max: .2
Callee On Hook Delay: 0
Reorder Delay: 5
Call Back Expires: 1800
Call Back Retry Intvl: 30
Call Back Delay: .5
VMWI Refresh Intvl: 0
Interdigit Long Timer: 10
Interdigit Short Timer: 3
CPC Delay: .5
CPC Duration: .1

Time Zone: GMT
FXS Port Impedance: 370+620||310nF
Daylight Saving Time Rule:
start=3/-1/7/2:0:0;end=10/-1/7/2:0:0;save=1:0:0
DTMF Playback Level: -16
DTMF Playback Length: .25
Caller ID Method: ETSI FSK With PR(UK)
FXS Port Power Limit: 3
Caller ID FSK Standard: v.23
Feature Invocation Method: Default
More Echo Suppression: yes

In Line 1 (or Line 2)

Line Enable: yes
NAT Mapping Enable: yes
NAT Keep Alive Enable: yes
Network Jitter Level: low (Depends on how good your boadband is / route
to VoIP server)
Jitter Buffer Adjustment: Up and Down

Proxy and Registration
Proxy: Your Voip Proxy address (for example sip1.sipdiscount.com or
sip.voipcheap.com or sipgate.co.uk etc)

Subscriber Information - (where you enter your VoIP Account details).

Supplementary Service Subscription - This is where you enable services
such as Call Waiting, 3-Way Calling, block anonymous caller etc)

Audio Configuration - This is where you set-up which codecs you want to
use or only use.
If you have limited broadband speed (mostly if upload is poor) then you
probably only use one or more from G729a, G723 or G726)
If you want the best quality line, then you'd choose G711a (which is
the standard used on a standard line)

(Myself, I use G711a only, have that set to my preferred codec and use
that one only, but you may find other codecs are fine).

DTMF Tx Method: (This will depend on the VoIP service you use, trial
and error and depends on codec) Soon know if it don't work when
trying telephone banking for example and it doesn't recoginse what
numbers you are pressing).

Hook Flash Tx Method: None

Old March 10th 09, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Giskard Reventlov

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Been through and checked - all settings were Ok so caller ID problem still
exists

Old March 10th 09, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve Hayes

R. Giskard Reventlov wrote:

Thanks to Jono's dial plan I have my SPA 3102 working perfectly apart from
a Caller ID problem! An incoming call only displays the first 8 digits.
This happens on calls via the VOIP line or the PSTN line. I have tried 3
differ rent phones and all are the same. If the incoming phone number has
an entry in the phonebook on the phone the correct name is displayed. If I
look in the caller ID log on the phone afterwards the first 8 digits are
stored first then the full number and then the dater and time of the call.

Al my settings in regional- misc are set up correctly as far as my
Googling would indicate and under PSTN-To-VoIP Gateway Setup the settings
there are correct so I am at a loss what to do - any suggestions would be
welcome!

I've had exactly the same problem. What seems to happen is that the SPA3102
thinks it's a great idea, in the absence of a caller name in the incoming
data, to reformat the caller's number as their name and include that as well
as the raw number in the data sent to the phone. A lot of phones show the
name in place of the number if it's present but many can only show the first
8 characters.

Some pure VOIP calls may include the name which is then shown correctly but
BT caller ID never includes it so landline calls usually suffer from this
affliction.

Much as I hate the thought of yet another configuration option, it ought to
be possible to turn off this annoying "feature". I got short shrift when I
tried to tell Linksys about this. You'll either have to live with it, get a
phone that shows more than 8 characters for the name or just ditch the
SPA3102. By the way, the phone uses the raw number to search its phonebook
and to return calls. If you need to know the full number on a phone that
doesn't show it along with the name, you can probably see it by starting to
return the call, then hanging up before dialling is completed.

--
Steve Hayes
South Wales, UK

Old March 11th 09, 06:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Giskard Reventlov

"Steve Hayes" wrote in message
R. Giskard Reventlov wrote:

[...]

Ok thanx - that explains it! What should I use INSTEAD of an SPA3102 then!

Old March 11th 09, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve Hayes

R. Giskard Reventlov wrote:

Ok thanx - that explains it! What should I use INSTEAD of an SPA3102 then!

That I can't really say. I'm still using the SPA3102. The capabilities are
great, especially the flexible dial plan. It routes calls as I want them
without my having to nag everyone to dial special codes, etc. Call waiting
and forwarding are handy. Echoes, especially on the landline side, are
sometimes awful and endless tweaking hasn't made much difference. The caller
display problem is a niggle which went away when the connected phones wore
out and had to be replaced.

I'm sure others will have suggestions and I'll be watching with interest.

Old March 23rd 09, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
DesG

On 10 Mar, 15:13, Steve Hayes wrote:
R. Giskard Reventlov wrote:

Much as I hate the thought of yet another configuration option, it ought to
be possible to turn off this annoying "feature". I got short shrift when I
tried to tell Linksys about this. You'll either have to live with it, get a
phone that shows more than 8 characters for the name or just ditch the
SPA3102. By the way, the phone uses the raw number to search its phonebook
and to return calls. If you need to know the full number on a phone that
doesn't show it along with the name, you can probably see it by starting to
return the call, then hanging up before dialling is completed.

Thanks for solving this one for me!

I have a PAP2 which exhibits the same problem. Older firmware never
did this.

I will add my complaint to the list with Linksys.

Cheers, Des.