Testing: Streaming MP3 audio feed to VoIP

Old March 11th 09, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Soruk

Default Testing: Streaming MP3 audio feed to VoIP

I've been playing around with using a streaming MP3 audio feed as an
"on hold music" source for my Asterisk server.

To see how well it holds up I've connected the Highways Agency Traffic
Radio web feed to 0560 301 5426 and 01463 670042 - and extension 699 on
sip.eridani.co.uk.

Feel free to hammer it. It's a live feed so information you get from it
might actually be useful.

This is an experimental service...

International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/
Old March 11th 09, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Soruk wrote:
I've been playing around with using a streaming MP3 audio feed as an
"on hold music" source for my Asterisk server.

To see how well it holds up I've connected the Highways Agency Traffic
Radio web feed to 0560 301 5426 and 01463 670042 - and extension 699 on
sip.eridani.co.uk.

Feel free to hammer it. It's a live feed so information you get from it
might actually be useful.

This is an experimental service...

Seems to work... Bit of packet loss occasionally though...

Gordon
Old March 11th 09, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Soruk

On 2009-03-11, Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Soruk wrote:
I've been playing around with using a streaming MP3 audio feed as an
"on hold music" source for my Asterisk server.

To see how well it holds up I've connected the Highways Agency Traffic
Radio web feed to 0560 301 5426 and 01463 670042 - and extension 699 on
sip.eridani.co.uk.

Feel free to hammer it. It's a live feed so information you get from it
might actually be useful.

This is an experimental service...

Seems to work... Bit of packet loss occasionally though...

It's hanging off my ADSL line. Also, depending on the route you came in,
the 01463 number is from Eutelia who are in Italy.

(I already have a Sipgate number as a regular DID for my setup.)

International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/
Old March 11th 09, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
On 2009-03-11, Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Soruk wrote:
I've been playing around with using a streaming MP3 audio feed as an
"on hold music" source for my Asterisk server.

To see how well it holds up I've connected the Highways Agency Traffic
Radio web feed to 0560 301 5426 and 01463 670042 - and extension 699 on
sip.eridani.co.uk.

Feel free to hammer it. It's a live feed so information you get from it
might actually be useful.

This is an experimental service...

Seems to work... Bit of packet loss occasionally though...

It's hanging off my ADSL line. Also, depending on the route you came in,
the 01463 number is from Eutelia who are in Italy.

(I already have a Sipgate number as a regular DID for my setup.)

Direct SIP call. No PSTN...

(But I see you're using Demon... They don't seem to have had a lot of
good press lately, have they?)

Gordon
Old March 11th 09, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Soruk

On 2009-03-11, Gordon Henderson wrote:
It's hanging off my ADSL line. Also, depending on the route you came in,
the 01463 number is from Eutelia who are in Italy.

(I already have a Sipgate number as a regular DID for my setup.)

Direct SIP call. No PSTN...

That would explain why your name appeared in the log. I wondered how you
did that...

(But I see you're using Demon... They don't seem to have had a lot of
good press lately, have they?)

Their mail servers (which I don't use) may go down more often than a
cheap whore, but for basic connectivity I really can't fault them. Most
of my downtime the past 6 years has been from power failures my UPS
couldn't withstand.

Another possibility is I also have a few websites running on it and it's
also my mail server. My ADSL sync rate is 2016/448, which *just* gets me
a 1.75Mbit connection.

International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/
Old March 11th 09, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bodincus

Soruk wrote:
I've been playing around with using a streaming MP3 audio feed as an
"on hold music" source for my Asterisk server.

To see how well it holds up I've connected the Highways Agency Traffic
Radio web feed to 0560 301 5426 and 01463 670042 - and extension 699 on
sip.eridani.co.uk.

Feel free to hammer it. It's a live feed so information you get from it
might actually be useful.

This is an experimental service...

Apart from the occasional packet drop, the quality is barely acceptable.
I have to struggle to understand what it's being said - although the
speaker is blabbering away at an astonishing speed to shoehorn all the
info in the shortest possible time - because of obvious audio artefacts.
Sure, the multiple encoding/decoding doesn't help.
Try to get a feed in a format you can pump out without (or with less
dramatic) re-encoding, it should sound (and perform) way better.
--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old March 11th 09, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bodincus

Soruk wrote:
I've been playing around with using a streaming MP3 audio feed as an
"on hold music" source for my Asterisk server.

To see how well it holds up I've connected the Highways Agency Traffic
Radio web feed to 0560 301 5426 and 01463 670042 - and extension 699 on
sip.eridani.co.uk.

Feel free to hammer it. It's a live feed so information you get from it
might actually be useful.

This is an experimental service...

Apart from the occasional packet drop, the quality is barely acceptable.
I have to struggle to understand what it's being said - although the
speaker is blabbering away at an astonishing speed to shoehorn all the
info in the shortest possible time - because of obvious audio artefacts.
Sure, the multiple encoding/decoding doesn't help.
Try to get a feed in a format you can pump out without (or with less
dramatic) re-encoding, it should sound way better.
Endpoints tend to settle on G729 or G711, and Asterisk is happy to play
sLiner

--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old March 11th 09, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
On 2009-03-11, Gordon Henderson wrote:
It's hanging off my ADSL line. Also, depending on the route you came in,
the 01463 number is from Eutelia who are in Italy.

(I already have a Sipgate number as a regular DID for my setup.)

Direct SIP call. No PSTN...

That would explain why your name appeared in the log. I wondered how you
did that...

(But I see you're using Demon... They don't seem to have had a lot of
good press lately, have they?)

Their mail servers (which I don't use) may go down more often than a
cheap whore, but for basic connectivity I really can't fault them. Most
of my downtime the past 6 years has been from power failures my UPS
couldn't withstand.

Another possibility is I also have a few websites running on it and it's
also my mail server. My ADSL sync rate is 2016/448, which *just* gets me
a 1.75Mbit connection.

It's outgoing (from your end) that's the issue - but you'll need to
have something there to prioritise outgoung traffic - Drayteks do work
quite nicely, but they're expensive and I've really gone off Zyxels
after a client had one blow up on them last week - I really don't know
of any other router in that price bracket that does effective outbound
traffic shaping.

Gordon
Old March 11th 09, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Soruk

On 2009-03-11, Bodincus wrote:
Soruk wrote:
[...]

Which number did you use? I suspect the Eutelia (01463) number won't be
that good....

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, I've switched from the 24kbps 22kHz
feed to the 48kbps 44.1kHz feed, it certainly sounds better on an
"internal" call to my switch.

International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/