Default gateway changing after resuming from Sleep/Hibernate

Old March 12th 09, 09:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert

I have had a problem with internet connection being lost on a wireless
connected netbook after resuming from sleep/hibernate.

I have traced the issue down to the default gateway being changed after
resuming.

Doing a network repair or NIC disable/enable doesnt help - only a
restart will correct the problem.

The wireless NIC is setup for DHCP, the wired NIC is setup with a fixed
IP , subnet mask and default gateway for a different network.

With wireless networking after resuming from sleep , "ipconfig -all"
shows the correct IP address & DHCP server but the default gateway had
been changed to the value for the wired NIC.

Changing the wired NIC setup to DHCP gives a workaround for the problem.

Anyone assist in why this error is occurring and a proper solution ?

Win XP Home, Dell mini9
Old March 13th 09, 03:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 21:45:41 +0000
robert wrote:

I have had a problem with internet connection being lost on a
wireless connected netbook after resuming from sleep/hibernate.

I have traced the issue down to the default gateway being changed
after resuming.

Doing a network repair or NIC disable/enable doesnt help - only a
restart will correct the problem.

Did you try "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" ?

Old March 13th 09, 09:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert

robert wrote:

I have had a problem with internet connection being lost on a
wireless connected netbook after resuming from sleep/hibernate.

I have traced the issue down to the default gateway being changed
after resuming.

Doing a network repair or NIC disable/enable doesnt help - only a
restart will correct the problem.

Did you try "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" ?

Correction to my OP:

"ipconfig /all" shows the correct default gateway
"route print" shows the incorrect gateway
I can correct the default gateway by doing a route -f, ipconfig /release
, ipconfig /renew
But I still have incorrect active routes in the routing table.
I dont seem to be able to use "route delete" to remove these.
ie route delete 192.168.0.0

I have worked around the problem by removing the fixed IP address in the
wired NIC.
But I assume it shouldnt work like this !
Old March 13th 09, 07:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Northeast

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 21:45:41 +0000, robert wrote:

I have had a problem with internet connection being lost on a wireless
connected netbook after resuming from sleep/hibernate.

I have traced the issue down to the default gateway being changed after
resuming.

Doing a network repair or NIC disable/enable doesnt help - only a restart
will correct the problem.

The wireless NIC is setup for DHCP, the wired NIC is setup with a fixed IP
, subnet mask and default gateway for a different network.

With wireless networking after resuming from sleep , "ipconfig -all" shows
the correct IP address & DHCP server but the default gateway had been
changed to the value for the wired NIC.

Why do you want two default gateways? Which one do you expect to be used?

Regards, Ian
Old March 13th 09, 08:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 19:40:45 +0000
Ian Northeast wrote:

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 21:45:41 +0000, robert wrote:

I have had a problem with internet connection being lost on a
wireless connected netbook after resuming from sleep/hibernate.

I have traced the issue down to the default gateway being changed
after resuming.

Doing a network repair or NIC disable/enable doesnt help - only a
restart will correct the problem.

The wireless NIC is setup for DHCP, the wired NIC is setup with a
fixed IP , subnet mask and default gateway for a different network.

With wireless networking after resuming from sleep , "ipconfig
-all" shows the correct IP address & DHCP server but the default
gateway had been changed to the value for the wired NIC.

Why do you want two default gateways? Which one do you expect to be
used?

The one specified for the Ethernet connection when he's connected by
Ethernet, and the one specified for the Wi-Fi connection when he's
connected by Wi-Fi. Presumably.

Old March 13th 09, 10:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Northeast

Ian Northeast wrote:

[...]

The way I read the OP was that the wired connection was not an alternative
to the wireless one for general network/Internet access but a separate
connection to a LAN - he says it is for a "different network".

If they are indeed alternatives which are not supposed to be used together
then they should both be DHCP so only the active one has IP settings at
any given time and, as per his later post, he has correctly fixed it.

If my reading is correct and the connections have different purposes the
wired one should not have a default gateway specified.

Having two default gateways at once doesn't really make sense. Many OSs
will not even permit it.

Regards, Ian
Old March 13th 09, 10:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert

Ian Northeast wrote:

[...]

The 2 networks are not used at the same time, wireless at home, wired at
work where the network isnt DHCP.

Shouldnt the settings for the 2 NICs be completely separate and work
independantly ?
Why does it all work as expected until after a hibernate ?

Old March 14th 09, 03:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 22:45:34 +0000
robert wrote:

The 2 networks are not used at the same time, wireless at home, wired
at work where the network isnt DHCP.

Shouldnt the settings for the 2 NICs be completely separate and work
independantly ?

They should ...

Why does it all work as expected until after a hibernate ?

Some drivers are buggy and don't reinitialise their hardware properly
after they've been suspended or hibernated.

Old March 14th 09, 08:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert

robert wrote:

The 2 networks are not used at the same time, wireless at home, wired
at work where the network isnt DHCP.

Shouldnt the settings for the 2 NICs be completely separate and work
independantly ?

They should ...

Why does it all work as expected until after a hibernate ?

Some drivers are buggy and don't reinitialise their hardware properly
after they've been suspended or hibernated.

Okay I'll go with that, always hope of a new driver !

I've learnt something anyway, interestingly ipconfig gives different
values from route for the default gateway after suspend.
Old March 14th 09, 11:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clive

news:[email protected]
robert wrote:

The 2 networks are not used at the same time, wireless at home, wired
at work where the network isnt DHCP.

Shouldnt the settings for the 2 NICs be completely separate and work
independantly ?

They should ...

Why does it all work as expected until after a hibernate ?

Some drivers are buggy and don't reinitialise their hardware properly
after they've been suspended or hibernated.

Which ones would they be and on which operating systems?
Never trust what you read on Google or what you see people
posting about other unrelated problems! Your problem is that
when you are asked to explain anything you post, you don't
seem able to - not just in this newsgroup.
Release and renew will not fix the problem mentioned and if
you knew anything about computers it would help. Most that
do have already tried various commands.