Siemens S685 IP

Old March 16th 09, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Hal

Default Siemens S685 IP

Hi. I have a question for which I hardly find an asnwer. Does anybody know
if the Siemens S685 IP Dect telephone, which supports the VOIP protocol,
also can be used for Skype. It seems Skype has a different (non standard)
protocol.

Thanks

Hal.

Old March 16th 09, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Hal" wrote in message
Hi. I have a question for which I hardly find an asnwer. Does anybody know
if the Siemens S685 IP Dect telephone, which supports the VOIP protocol,
also can be used for Skype. It seems Skype has a different (non standard)
protocol.

Thanks

Hal.

You've answered your own question in a round-about way.
VoIP isn't a protocol it's a generic term.
The S685 supports SIP, which is a protocol.
As you say, Skype uses its own preparatory protocol that
generally speaking is not available on non Skype endorsed
products.
Moral is, (IMHO) don't_use_Skype.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old March 17th 09, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Hal

"Graham." wrote in message

"Hal" wrote in message
Hi. I have a question for which I hardly find an asnwer. Does anybody
know if the Siemens S685 IP Dect telephone, which supports the VOIP
protocol, also can be used for Skype. It seems Skype has a different (non
standard) protocol.

Thanks

Hal.

You've answered your own question in a round-about way.
VoIP isn't a protocol it's a generic term.
The S685 supports SIP, which is a protocol.
As you say, Skype uses its own preparatory protocol that
generally speaking is not available on non Skype endorsed
products.
Moral is, (IMHO) don't_use_Skype.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Thanks for the conformation of my findings.

I now found three brands of real Skype phones: TopCom Webtalker 6000,
Netgear Skype Dect SPH200D and Dualphone 3088. Do you have any idea of the
quality, because I don't know these brands.

Hal

Old March 17th 09, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Hal" wrote in message

"Graham." wrote in message

"Hal" wrote in message
[...]

Call quallity? I imagine it's good. Skype has its drawbacks but speech
quality
isn't one of them.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old March 17th 09, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Hal

"Graham." wrote in message

"Hal" wrote in message

"Graham." wrote in message

"Hal" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, I mean the electronic devices in general. I own a Philips VOIP841 and
I am happy with it (transmitting distance, sound quality etc.), but Philips
stopt production of this Skype phone.

Hal

Old March 22nd 09, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Graham. schreef:
"Hal" wrote in message
Hi. I have a question for which I hardly find an asnwer. Does anybody know
if the Siemens S685 IP Dect telephone, which supports the VOIP protocol,
also can be used for Skype. It seems Skype has a different (non standard)
protocol.

Thanks

Hal.

You've answered your own question in a round-about way.
VoIP isn't a protocol it's a generic term.
The S685 supports SIP, which is a protocol.
As you say, Skype uses its own preparatory protocol that
generally speaking is not available on non Skype endorsed
products.
Moral is, (IMHO) don't_use_Skype.

You can't say that, where sip/voip fails is in the NAT department....
at that "spot" Skype just works, because of the use of tcp.
I'm also no fan of Skype, but on open unsafe "hotspots" you can use
Skype, because it uses encryption.....

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.

Old March 22nd 09, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
wrote:
Graham. schreef:
"Hal" wrote in message
[...]

There is a standards based VoIP alternative to SIP that doesn't suffer
the same NAT issues... It's called RFC 5456. Also known as IAX2.

It's just a shame more phones don't support it yet...

IAX also supports encryption.

Gordon
Old March 24th 09, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Gordon Henderson schreef:
In article ,
wrote:
Graham. schreef:
"Hal" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, i heard from that one, but didn't have IAX some drawbacks, that SIP
doesn't have ?
But i guess, with the coming of IPv6 NAT problems, will be over for SIP.....
And Skype can now be used as a "failsafe" where SIP doesn't work.
It would b nice, if there was a open version of Skype, Now, SIP is
widespread used already... (how) should that be changed ?

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.

Old March 24th 09, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
wrote:
Gordon Henderson schreef:
In article ,
wrote:
Graham. schreef:
"Hal" wrote in message
[...]

It's not as "mature" as SIP, so there may still be issues in the code
and not many people know how to write programs round it yet. However
it's native to asterisk and I know of people making/taking thousands of
calls a day through it...

One thing is is good at though it getting round NAT firewalls.

But i guess, with the coming of IPv6 NAT problems, will be over for SIP.....

In about 10 years time ...

And Skype can now be used as a "failsafe" where SIP doesn't work.
It would b nice, if there was a open version of Skype, Now, SIP is
widespread used already... (how) should that be changed ?

Google sipforskype...

Gordon
Old March 25th 09, 12:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Gordon Henderson schreef:
In article ,
wrote:
Gordon Henderson schreef:
In article ,
wrote:
Graham. schreef:
"Hal" wrote in message
[...]

My Google for "sipforskype" landed me only in "versus" stories....
not anything new or special......

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.