Voice calls to the Philippines from the UK.

Old March 26th 09, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mick Cant

Default Voice calls to the Philippines from the UK.

Hi all,
I am not technically minded on this but just wondering why I cannot
find a reliable way of phoning my wife who is in Manila, Philippines.
When she can get to a computer then Yahoo or Skype seem ok, but I need to
phone her mobile phone if I need to talk urgently.
I have used the re diallers where I phone a number then another number,
sometimes they are ok but not often.
I have tried the paid for phone service both with Yahoo and Skype, Skype
seems more reliable but again not always.

What prompted this is that I read in a newspaper on 25-3-2--9, that some 118
888 directory enquiries calls were handled in Manila, and they would need a
reliable service with good voice reception,

So what am I doing wrong that I cannot phone her in a reliable way?
Even phoning direct from my mobile to her mobile, even though it is
expensive is still not always reliable.

Can someone please explain to a novice how best to do this? she cannot carry
a laptop with her all the time.
Thanks,
Mick.

Old March 26th 09, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Blunt

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:19:18 -0000, "Mick Cant"
wrote:

[...]

In most parts of Manila you can get packages including landline rental
and a broadband connection for around £15 a month. I have a broadband
connection in Manila which I use to make VoIP calls back to the UK,
and the call quality is normally quite good. You would probably get
better connections that way rather than trying to call a mobile in the
Philippines.

Chris
Old March 26th 09, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Ingle

Mick Cant wrote:

So what am I doing wrong that I cannot phone her in a reliable way?
Even phoning direct from my mobile to her mobile, even though it is
expensive is still not always reliable.

Can someone please explain to a novice how best to do this? she cannot carry
a laptop with her all the time.
Thanks,
Mick.

I have relatives in the Philippines and apart from busy times such as
Christmas, calling the Philippines has been okay.

Quite a few VOIP operators here have poor service/connections to the
Philippines (either difficult to get through or poor quality). I've
tried a couple and found Draytel the best. Very occasionally that fails
and I have to revert to the very expensive BT which always seems to work
to landlines and SMART mobile network (I have had no experience with the
other mobile operators, but as SMART is owned by PLDT (the main landline
telephone company in the Philippines), one may get more reliable
connections for incoming international calls compared to Globe Telecom
or Sun.

For normal day to day calls from home, I supplied them with a VOIP
router which is configured for a couple of UK VOIP services (Draytel and
Sipgate) and runs on their PLDT MyDSL Xperience connection (which
doesn't seem as reliable as UK ADSL), calls to the UK or vice versa can
be made for free or little cost.
Old March 26th 09, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

[...]

You can call her on her mobile with http://nonoh.net for 7.4 pence/min
it's one of the Betamax clones, its PAYG with a minimum topup
of 10 Euro.
You can either download their softphone, or use your own IP phone
or ATA if you have one.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old March 26th 09, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Graham. has brought this to us :

Mick.

You can call her on her mobile with http://nonoh.net for 7.4 pence/min
it's one of the Betamax clones, its PAYG with a minimum topup
of 10 Euro.
You can either download their softphone, or use your own IP phone
or ATA if you have one.

Or initiate calls between home and there from the website

Old March 27th 09, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 20:59:04 +0000, Jono wrote:

Graham. has brought this to us :

Mick.

You can call her on her mobile with http://nonoh.net for 7.4 pence/min
it's one of the Betamax clones, its PAYG with a minimum topup of 10
Euro.
You can either download their softphone, or use your own IP phone or
ATA if you have one.

Or initiate calls between home and there from the website

I have had numerous conversations directly over Voxalot (.au server) to a
friend, using the 'x-lite' application on his computer. I was using an
SPA-3000 at my end. At the Philippines end the broadband was just a wifi
link but most of the time it seemed to work OK. I also tried it via my
mobile into the Leeds Sipbroker PSTN access number and most of the time
it was OK. However I wouldn't call it 'reliable'. The suggestion to call
the mobile, via a Betamax provider, is a good one. You can also make a
callback from their web site as previously mentioned but,as an
alternative, you could also use the Voxalot callback service which can be
triggered via the Net on a standard computer or a mobile phone. I have
used Voxalot in this way quite a lot when outside the UK and it has
worked very well. Another way of initiating callback (using ANI) is to
use 'libera il voip' - though you'll need to learn a little Italian to
work it all out.