How's the e51 for VOIP calls ?

Old March 29th 09, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
hammond

Default How's the e51 for VOIP calls ?

Isn't SIP a bit pant in that it's v. difficult to configure with a
firewall.

Does IAX get round this problem ?
Old March 29th 09, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns

hammond wrote:

Isn't SIP a bit pant in that it's v. difficult to configure with a
firewall.

Correct, SIP with RTP is tricky through NAT.

Does IAX get round this problem ?

Yes, it's just a single UDP stream.
Old March 29th 09, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
themgt

hammond wrote:
Isn't SIP a bit pant in that it's v. difficult to configure with a
firewall.

No more so than anything else. Or do you mean NAT?
--
){:|:&};:
Old March 29th 09, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve Hammond

On 29 Mar, 11:13, Andy Burns wrote:
hammond wrote:
Isn't SIP a bit pant in that it's v. difficult to configure with a
firewall.

Correct, SIP with RTP is tricky through NAT.

Does IAX get round this problem ?

Yes, it's just a single UDP stream.

hmmm so who are the best IAX provider s?
Old March 29th 09, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Michael Chare

"hammond" wrote in message
Isn't SIP a bit pant in that it's v. difficult to configure with a
firewall.

It is not that difficult to configure a Speedtouch ADSL Wifi router to pass
SIP to a single phone

Does IAX get round this problem ?

You can use Fring to connect to a SIP account. This avoids the NAT firewall
problems.

--
Michael Chare

Old March 29th 09, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

hammond wrote:
Isn't SIP a bit pant in that it's v. difficult to configure with a
firewall.

Correct, SIP with RTP is tricky through NAT.

Does IAX get round this problem ?

Yes, it's just a single UDP stream.

hmmm so who are the best IAX provider s?

Might be intersting to list all the IAX providers... Other than myself,
I know Gradwell do it, and I think Voiptalk/Telapliant.. Really not sure
who else in the UK...

SIP is managable though - what gets in the way is firewalls/NAT routers
which are too clever for their own good.. It is well defined, so can
usually be "gotten round", depending on your application and the way
the ITSP manages it. (Relying on STUN servers or an intelligent proxy -
providing the end users router is not going to get in the way)

And with IAX, you are severley limited in what you can use - Zoiper in
the soft phone department, some ATL desk phones (I think), and maybe kiax,
also a soft-phone, but I've never been able to make it work successfully.
There's also the Digium ATA - the "Iaxy" which runs IAX...

And Asterisk, of-course.

Gordon
Old March 30th 09, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Soruk

On 2009-03-29, Gordon Henderson wrote:
hammond wrote:
Isn't SIP a bit pant in that it's v. difficult to configure with a
firewall.

Correct, SIP with RTP is tricky through NAT.

Does IAX get round this problem ?

Yes, it's just a single UDP stream.

hmmm so who are the best IAX provider s?

Might be intersting to list all the IAX providers... Other than myself,
I know Gradwell do it, and I think Voiptalk/Telapliant.. Really not sure
who else in the UK...

Tesco Internet Phone do both IAX (gateway.tescointernetphone.com) and
SIP (sip.tescointernetphone.com).

And Asterisk, of-course.

You can quite happily use a SIP phone to an Asterisk box which talks
upstream using IAX. And vice versa.

International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/