VOIP WiFi standalone handset

Old April 2nd 09, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alasdair

Default VOIP WiFi standalone handset

I recently bought a Skype handset (made by Belkin) on Ebay. It works
very well and I don't need to have my computer switched on to use it
as it connects directly to my wireless router. This unit seems to be
Skype specific but I would like a similar unit which would work with
other VOIP providers. Anyone got any ideas where I could get one?

--
Alasdair.
Old April 2nd 09, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve Hammond

On 2 Apr, 11:13, Alasdair wrote:
I recently bought a Skype handset (made by Belkin) on Ebay. *It works
very well and I don't need to have my computer switched on to use it
as it connects directly to my wireless router. *This unit seems to be
Skype specific but I would like a similar unit which would work with
other VOIP providers. *Anyone got any ideas where I could get one?

--
Alasdair.

How about the e51 with Fring.com installed not tried it myself

Old April 2nd 09, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Henkie Penkie

Alasdair wrote:
I recently bought a Skype handset (made by Belkin) on Ebay. It works
very well and I don't need to have my computer switched on to use it
as it connects directly to my wireless router. This unit seems to be
Skype specific but I would like a similar unit which would work with
other VOIP providers. Anyone got any ideas where I could get one?

--
Alasdair.

have a linksys WIP 330 that does that.
Sipgate.co.uk are selling the starcom. And you could also buy a mobile
phone with fring on it. I am using the Nokia E61
Old April 2nd 09, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Alasdair" wrote in message
I recently bought a Skype handset (made by Belkin) on Ebay. It works
very well and I don't need to have my computer switched on to use it
as it connects directly to my wireless router. This unit seems to be
Skype specific but I would like a similar unit which would work with
other VOIP providers. Anyone got any ideas where I could get one?

--
Alasdair.

There is an alternative to a wi-fi VoIP phone that you may not have
thought about, this is an analogue telephone adapter (ATA).
It's a box that plugs into your router and you plug your existing
phone or DECT base-station into the ATA.

Look for those that support the SIP protocol examples are
AVM "Fritz! box" range
Sipura
Linksys
Do you know which VoIP provider(s) you want to use?
Do you need incoming calls on a geographic number?
Do you want to use the same handset for calls to/from the PSTN?
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old April 2nd 09, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian Pawson

Alasdair wrote:
I recently bought a Skype handset (made by Belkin) on Ebay. It works
very well and I don't need to have my computer switched on to use it
as it connects directly to my wireless router. This unit seems to be
Skype specific but I would like a similar unit which would work with
other VOIP providers. Anyone got any ideas where I could get one?

--
Alasdair.

Try a Gigaset C475IP DECT phone. Plugs into the router and handles both
voip and fixed lines calls.
Old April 3rd 09, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Michael Chare

"Steve Hammond" wrote in message
On 2 Apr, 11:13, Alasdair wrote:
I recently bought a Skype handset (made by Belkin) on Ebay. It works
very well and I don't need to have my computer switched on to use it
as it connects directly to my wireless router. This unit seems to be
Skype specific but I would like a similar unit which would work with
other VOIP providers. Anyone got any ideas where I could get one?

--
Alasdair.

Sorry the Nokia E51

Many of the Nokia Symbian mobiles will make SIP calls, which can be via your
home wifi.

--
Michael Chare

Old April 5th 09, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Ian Pawson schreef:
Alasdair wrote:
I recently bought a Skype handset (made by Belkin) on Ebay. It works
very well and I don't need to have my computer switched on to use it
as it connects directly to my wireless router. This unit seems to be
Skype specific but I would like a similar unit which would work with
other VOIP providers. Anyone got any ideas where I could get one?

--
Alasdair.

Try a Gigaset C475IP DECT phone. Plugs into the router and handles both
voip and fixed lines calls.

Does this model has a pass through ethernet option ? or just one
ethernet port ?

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.