Using softphones on other's wi-fi network

Old April 5th 09, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lobster

Default Using softphones on other's wi-fi network

Further to my earlier query, I'm afraid another one's come up! ;-)

I'm attempting to get x-lite working on a netbook machine in order to be
able to use it in a holiday home I'll be staying in shortly, which I
know will be equipped with wifi.

It's occurred to me, won't the router on this wifi network specifically
need to be configured to forward the correct ports for my setup? And if
so, isn't it pretty unlikely that this will be the case? I'm sure I
won't have access to the router configuration interface where I'm going,
so am I currently wasting my time making sure my setup works properly at
home?

Thanks
David
Old April 5th 09, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Lobster wrote:

It's occurred to me, won't the router on this wifi network specifically
need to be configured to forward the correct ports for my setup?

Test it. Undo all the port forwarding changes you made and see what happens.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:40:28 up 121 days, 22:51, 3 users, load average: 0.10, 0.07, 0.06

Old April 6th 09, 04:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Soruk

On 2009-04-05, Lobster wrote:
Further to my earlier query, I'm afraid another one's come up! ;-)

I'm attempting to get x-lite working on a netbook machine in order to be
able to use it in a holiday home I'll be staying in shortly, which I
know will be equipped with wifi.

It's occurred to me, won't the router on this wifi network specifically
need to be configured to forward the correct ports for my setup? And if
so, isn't it pretty unlikely that this will be the case? I'm sure I
won't have access to the router configuration interface where I'm going,
so am I currently wasting my time making sure my setup works properly at
home?

Both Twinkle and Ekiga softphones log into my own Asterisk box from
guest networks without any port forwarding required at the client end.
Though, perhaps the use of a STUN server is helping there.

International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/