Stand Alone Voip Phone

Old April 16th 09, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Giskard Reventlov

Default Stand Alone Voip Phone

Can anyone recommend a stand alone VOIP phone (either corded or cordless)
that will plug directly into the back of my router and will allow different
incoming and outgoing providers. It does not PSTN but would not matter if it
did!

Old April 16th 09, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jack Bauer

In article , [email protected] says...
Can anyone recommend a stand alone VOIP phone (either corded or cordless)
that will plug directly into the back of my router and will allow different
incoming and outgoing providers. It does not PSTN but would not matter if it
did!

I have to recommend the Siemens Gigaset range. I bought a S685IP but
there are a number that will be as technically competent - just make
sure that the model you buy has IP at the end.

I say this because until I used the Siemens, I was thoroughly
unimpressed with VOIP generally. I had tried various softphones on
different connections and all had generally disappointed. The Siemens,
using Sipgate with a good broadband connection, has been rock solid. It
also does PSTN.
Old April 16th 09, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"R. Giskard Reventlov" [email protected] wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a stand alone VOIP phone (either corded or cordless)
that will plug directly into the back of my router and will allow
different incoming and outgoing providers. It does not PSTN but would not
matter if it did!

You might also want to consider an ATA (Analogue telephone adapter)
in conjunction with a wired or DECT POTS handset.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old April 16th 09, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Giskard Reventlov

"Graham." wrote in message

"R. Giskard Reventlov" [email protected] wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a stand alone VOIP phone (either corded or cordless)
that will plug directly into the back of my router and will allow
different incoming and outgoing providers. It does not PSTN but would not
matter if it did!

You might also want to consider an ATA (Analogue telephone adapter)
in conjunction with a wired or DECT POTS handset.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

I have a Linksys SPA 3102 and rapidly coming to the conclusion it is far to
complex for my needs!

Old April 16th 09, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

"Graham." wrote in message

"R. Giskard Reventlov" [email protected] wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a stand alone VOIP phone (either corded or
cordless) that will plug directly into the back of my router and
will allow different incoming and outgoing providers. It does not
PSTN but would not matter if it did!

You might also want to consider an ATA (Analogue telephone adapter)
in conjunction with a wired or DECT POTS handset.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

I have a Linksys SPA 3102 and rapidly coming to the conclusion it is
far to complex for my needs!

If you have a dig on the Sipgate web site you will find all you need to
know about how to set it up,

Remember the Linksys SPA series were all originally Sipura products so
you may need to look for that name.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old April 16th 09, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
R. Giskard Reventlov [email protected] wrote:
Can anyone recommend a stand alone VOIP phone (either corded or cordless)
that will plug directly into the back of my router and will allow different
incoming and outgoing providers. It does not PSTN but would not matter if it
did!

Siemens gigaset (eg. A580IP) for cordless, or Grandstream, Snom,
Linksys and many others for a "corded" desk phone. A lot will depend on
your budget... Grandstream GXP2000 can handle 4 accounts, (it's my own
deskphone of choice), then the 2020 can handle 6 - Snoms can handle 10
(I think), but are more expensive ...

Gordon
Old April 16th 09, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

I have a Linksys SPA 3102 and rapidly coming to the conclusion it is far
to complex for my needs!

But that sounds ideal.
If you are having difficulty configuring it I am sure we can help here.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old April 17th 09, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

R. Giskard Reventlov schreef:
"Graham." wrote in message

"R. Giskard Reventlov" [email protected] wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a stand alone VOIP phone (either corded or
cordless) that will plug directly into the back of my router and will
allow different incoming and outgoing providers. It does not PSTN but
would not matter if it did!

You might also want to consider an ATA (Analogue telephone adapter)
in conjunction with a wired or DECT POTS handset.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

I have a Linksys SPA 3102 and rapidly coming to the conclusion it is far
to complex for my needs!

Same experience here, Using a Siemens DECT IP set, is far more easier to
set up, and, if you want more lines, (use of more voip providers) you
can use a service like Mysipswitch.
An normal IP phone (Grandstream)is also an option, you get more features
that way, if you need them, like to transfer a call, or conferrence
calls, easy voice mail access.
With ATA's you could get unwanted side-effects, with some analog phones,
on either side of the connection, like delays, or echo, both are related
to each other.
Most ATA's are build-in in complete devices, poor choice in options or
router functions are poor, (download problems, or functions don't work
at the same time in good condition)
Single ATA's have sometimes build in router, which is also not ideal....
That soms it up.... for you to decide.

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.

Old April 17th 09, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton

"Jack Bauer" wrote in message
. ..
In article , [email protected] says...
Can anyone recommend a stand alone VOIP phone (either corded or cordless)
that will plug directly into the back of my router and will allow
different
incoming and outgoing providers. It does not PSTN but would not matter if
it
did!

I have to recommend the Siemens Gigaset range. I bought a S685IP but
there are a number that will be as technically competent - just make
sure that the model you buy has IP at the end.

I say this because until I used the Siemens, I was thoroughly
unimpressed with VOIP generally. I had tried various softphones on
different connections and all had generally disappointed. The Siemens,
using Sipgate with a good broadband connection, has been rock solid. It
also does PSTN.

I support this view.