Porting a number from BT

Old April 21st 09, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Matt

Default Porting a number from BT

Hi,

Wonder if anyone has done this, or has any comments on what I am
planning to do...

I would like to port my exising number from BT to a voip provider.

The complication is that I also have broadband on this number.

I'd like to be able renumber my existing line 01XXX XXXX22 to another
number to retain my adsl etc, and then port my 01XXX XXXX22 number to
a voip provider.

This way I keep my voip number AND I keep my adsl connection.

Has anyone done this?

Many thanks

Matthew
Old April 21st 09, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Matt wrote:
Hi,

Wonder if anyone has done this, or has any comments on what I am
planning to do...

I would like to port my exising number from BT to a voip provider.

The complication is that I also have broadband on this number.

That is a complication and is more or less is a show-stopper as when
the number is ported your broadband service will cease.

I'd like to be able renumber my existing line 01XXX XXXX22 to another
number to retain my adsl etc, and then port my 01XXX XXXX22 number to
a voip provider.

This way I keep my voip number AND I keep my adsl connection.

Has anyone done this?

I'm not convinced it's possible, but there may be some other magic at
play I don't know about ...

My suspicions are that it's either not possible, or BT will somehow
screw up on the day of the porting and you'll lose everything...

Major hassle and extra cost, and time, but the way I'd done this in the
past was to get a new phone line installed, migrate the ADSL to that line,
then port & cease the original line.

Gordon
Old April 21st 09, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bodincus

Gordon Henderson:
In article ,
Matt wrote:
[...]

Seconded

Have a new line installed, but rather than migrate the ADSL on that
line, have a new ADSL - with another provider if you prefer, shop
around! - on the new line, move your equipment across to the new ADSL,
then port the old BT number to VoIP.
That'll cease everything on the old line - ADSL included, with the very
minimal service disruption.
At a cost, yes, but a /belt and braces/ solution.
You'll save in the long term.

--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
----------------------------
Old April 21st 09, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Matt formulated on Tuesday :
Hi,

Wonder if anyone has done this, or has any comments on what I am
planning to do...

I would like to port my exising number from BT to a voip provider.

The complication is that I also have broadband on this number.

I'd like to be able renumber my existing line 01XXX XXXX22 to another
number to retain my adsl etc, and then port my 01XXX XXXX22 number to
a voip provider.

This way I keep my voip number AND I keep my adsl connection.

Has anyone done this?

Many thanks

Matthew

Bit protracted but possible.

1. Get your ADSL line re-numbered which in itself shouldn't cause an
issue but would free up the number you want to port.

2. Get remote call forward set up using your discarded number.

3. port the number.

.....or stick a 2nd line in, add adsl to it, then port your number.

Old April 22nd 09, 07:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philippe Deleye

"Bodincus" wrote in message
om...
Have a new line installed, but rather than migrate the ADSL on that
line, have a new ADSL - with another provider if you prefer, shop
around! - on the new line, move your equipment across to the new ADSL,
then port the old BT number to VoIP.

Looks like very complicated in the UK to disconnect phone and ADSL.
Here in Belgium it is not necessary to have a life phone line to get ADSL.
You can apply for ADSL on "raw copper" at no extra cost (if you stay with
Belgacom ADSL)
Hence: perfectly possible to port your number to a voip provider, while
still keeping ADSL on the same line.

Another advantage of ADSL on raw copper is that the bandwithh used for phone
now becomes available: some providers offer Annex M (which incraeses the max
uplaod to 3.5 Mbps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_G.992.5_Annex_M)

Philippe,
Belgium.

Old April 22nd 09, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Don

In om,
Bodincus typed:
Seconded

Have a new line installed, but rather than migrate the ADSL on that
line, have a new ADSL - with another provider if you prefer, shop
around! - on the new line, move your equipment across to the new ADSL,
then port the old BT number to VoIP.
That'll cease everything on the old line - ADSL included, with the
very minimal service disruption.
At a cost, yes, but a /belt and braces/ solution.
You'll save in the long term.

But your timing is good!
Free BT line installation (usually 123) if you're moving, reconnecting &
for second lines
BT seems to have responded to recent criticism over its hefty 122.50 line
installation fee; sign-up before 30 June and you can get it free. This
applies to new lines, reconnections or even having second lines fitted. Free
BT line deal: You need to sign up for an 18-mth contract and make 10
chargeable or inclusive calls per month, but don't worry, it's still
possible to slash call costs. Full info in the Deals Note: Free BT Line
Rental (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/dea...e-installation)
Related Guide: Cheapest Home Phones
(http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/pho...me-phone-calls)

Old April 22nd 09, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Philippe Deleye wrote:

"Bodincus" wrote in message
. com...
Have a new line installed, but rather than migrate the ADSL on that
line, have a new ADSL - with another provider if you prefer, shop
around! - on the new line, move your equipment across to the new ADSL,
then port the old BT number to VoIP.

Looks like very complicated in the UK to disconnect phone and ADSL.
Here in Belgium it is not necessary to have a life phone line to get ADSL.
You can apply for ADSL on "raw copper" at no extra cost (if you stay with
Belgacom ADSL)
Hence: perfectly possible to port your number to a voip provider, while
still keeping ADSL on the same line.

Another advantage of ADSL on raw copper is that the bandwithh used for phone
now becomes available: some providers offer Annex M (which incraeses the max
uplaod to 3.5 Mbps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_G.992.5_Annex_M)

This isn't here (yet) in the UK. I hear there are moves afoot, but if
it does happen, I suspect it will be some years down the road. (I think
the term I've heard used here is "dry copper")

Some of the LLU operators could technically offer this, I guess, but
then you're tied into their ADSL platform, and LLU is now-where near
unicersal in the UK. Some exchanges in rural areas (like mine) will
never get LLU equipment. (Then again, I said that about ADSL, however...)

Also, the cynic in me suspects that BT would still charge the same for it,
whether the line is connected to their telephone hardware or not!

Gordon
Old April 22nd 09, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Gordon Henderson wrote:

Also, the cynic in me suspects that BT would still charge the same for
it, whether the line is connected to their telephone hardware or not!

The cost of maintaining the bit of copper between you and the premises is
the same whether it's plugged into a voice port or not, and I reckon that
maintaining the last mile costs a lot more than maintaining a few racks of
kit with n*1000 voice ports in it.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
16:31:39 up 138 days, 17:42, 3 users, load average: 0.07, 0.06, 0.05

Old April 22nd 09, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Philippe Deleye" wrote in message

"Bodincus" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Correct me if I'm wrong Philippe, but isn't the 'de facto' telephone service
in Belgium BRI?

Here in the UK, ISDN lines in private houses is very rare, and
I don't suppose removing the POTS service from a line will increase
the available bandwidth for DSL in the slightest.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old April 22nd 09, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philippe Deleye

"Graham." wrote in message
Correct me if I'm wrong Philippe, but isn't the 'de facto' telephone

service
in Belgium BRI?
Here in the UK, ISDN lines in private houses is very rare, and
I don't suppose removing the POTS service from a line will increase
the available bandwidth for DSL in the slightest.

Not really, most private connections are POTS, a small minority are ISDN
As in the UK, we have "Annex A" for POTS and "Annex B" for ISDN
ADSL 2+ Annex A has a (theoretical) 24 Mbit/s downstream and 1.4 Mbit/s
upstream (depending on the distance from the DSLAM)
You are right, by removing the POTS service you will not add substantially
more bandwith
The main difference between Annex A and Annex M is that the cut-off point
between upstream and donstream is moved up - hence the upstream can use the
full bandwith between 0 and 276 kHz (hence increases upstream to 3.5 Mbit/s
I understand Annex M is not used on lines with POTS servcie on, because of
the interference it causes to POTS lines ...

Regarding cost
Belgian Telecom service Belgacom (counterpart of your BT) offers ADSL on
"raw copper" at the same price of ADSL on a active phone line. Hence you can
save the monthly fee of your phone by canceling your phone subscription (and
port your nr to a VOIP provider). Of course you can subscribe to the
Belagcom VOIP service also (i-talk) ...