Ping Gordon (and anybody else that used GSM gateways / cards forAsterisk / Trixbox)

Old April 21st 09, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bodincus

Default Ping Gordon (and anybody else that used GSM gateways / cards forAsterisk / Trixbox)

Hi Gordon - and all,

I have been asked to look into some hardware to add a few (2/4) GSM
channels to our IP PBX product.

I've been looking for something cheap and cheerful, and found some
Portech cards (PORTech DuMV) and external boxes (MV-372) that could do.

I'm aware you get what you pay for, but I need simplicity, reliability
and the very basic ability to make occasional outbound calls through the
mobile network.

Did anybody here use Portech products?
What you think?
Got any problems?

TIA, much obliged.
--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
----------------------------
Old April 21st 09, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Bodincus wrote:
Hi Gordon - and all,

I have been asked to look into some hardware to add a few (2/4) GSM
channels to our IP PBX product.

I've been looking for something cheap and cheerful, and found some
Portech cards (PORTech DuMV) and external boxes (MV-372) that could do.

I'm aware you get what you pay for, but I need simplicity, reliability
and the very basic ability to make occasional outbound calls through the
mobile network.

Did anybody here use Portech products?
What you think?
Got any problems?

I've used a 2-port external Portech box - Ethernet in + 2 SIM cards for
outgoing calls.

It looks just like 2 SIP phones to asterisk.

It needed re-flashing to the latest s/w, and you need to set a weird mode
inside it (via the web interface) to make it return busy when a channel
is in-use, so when dialling a mobile number (_07Z.) I was dialling the
first account, and if busy, dialling the 2nd (and if that was busy,
defaulting to the normal outbound which for this box was isdn30)

I've also used a few of the analogue to GSM boxes, but they need an FXO
port on the PBX.

Gordon
Old April 21st 09, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Markettos

Bodincus wrote:
Hi Gordon - and all,

I have been asked to look into some hardware to add a few (2/4) GSM
channels to our IP PBX product.

I've been looking for something cheap and cheerful, and found some
Portech cards (PORTech DuMV) and external boxes (MV-372) that could do.

I've no experience, but at the cheap-and-cheerful end of the market I'd give
the Asterisk bluetooth module plus a random Bluetooth GSM phone a try. You
need a Bluetooth dongle per phone, but they're only a few quid.

But no idea how reliable this is, and whether it'd be practical if you were
selling hardware.

Theo
Old April 21st 09, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bodincus

Theo Markettos:
Bodincus wrote:
Hi Gordon - and all,

I have been asked to look into some hardware to add a few (2/4) GSM
channels to our IP PBX product.

I've been looking for something cheap and cheerful, and found some
Portech cards (PORTech DuMV) and external boxes (MV-372) that could do.

I've no experience, but at the cheap-and-cheerful end of the market I'd give
the Asterisk bluetooth module plus a random Bluetooth GSM phone a try. You
need a Bluetooth dongle per phone, but they're only a few quid.

But no idea how reliable this is, and whether it'd be practical if you were
selling hardware.

Theo

Thanks Theo,

That is a tad *too much* cheap, and probably a bit unstable and
unreliable. Undoubtedly I'll make some experiments in-house, but I don't
think such set-up is acceptable on a production system.

Thanks for the suggestion tho!
--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
----------------------------
Old April 21st 09, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bodincus

Gordon Henderson:
In article ,
Bodincus wrote:
Hi Gordon - and all,

I have been asked to look into some hardware to add a few (2/4) GSM
channels to our IP PBX product.

I've been looking for something cheap and cheerful, and found some
Portech cards (PORTech DuMV) and external boxes (MV-372) that could do.

I'm aware you get what you pay for, but I need simplicity, reliability
and the very basic ability to make occasional outbound calls through the
mobile network.

Did anybody here use Portech products?
What you think?
Got any problems?

I've used a 2-port external Portech box - Ethernet in + 2 SIM cards for
outgoing calls.

It looks just like 2 SIP phones to asterisk.

Some docs I've read on voip-info.org say you can define it as a trunk -
lies?

It needed re-flashing to the latest s/w,

As every SIP device, if t'was sitting on the warehouse shelf for a month
or two.

and you need to set a weird mode
inside it (via the web interface) to make it return busy when a channel
is in-use, so when dialling a mobile number (_07Z.) I was dialling the
first account, and if busy, dialling the 2nd (and if that was busy,
defaulting to the normal outbound which for this box was isdn30)

Well, I can cope with weird... Reliability? Build quality?

I've also used a few of the analogue to GSM boxes, but they need an FXO
port on the PBX.

Aha, I have two of them. Two SIM / two POTS units, but to have a
reliable FXO in the PBX it's another half grand (Sangoma or others) - we
need four channels. Also, it's another level of complexity to the system
- I'd rather have a single device.

Thanks for the input.
--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
----------------------------
Old April 21st 09, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Bodincus pretended :
Gordon Henderson:
In article ,
Bodincus wrote:
[...]

The Portech box Gordon's referring to, I think, is installed in my
office....once flashed, it never really missed a beat; certainly never
had to reboot it in the year it's been in.

In free-pbx speak, it would probably be set as a trunk. I don't need
any inbound calls on it as it's used to reduce costs on outbound calls,
in fact both SIMs are permanently diverted to one of the DDIs, so the
ports being "extensions" isn't an issue....with one exception...mental
note to fix....call pickup can sometimes grab one of the outbound
calls as the Portech's "extensions" ring briefly whilst the GSM is
dialling.

Occasionally, ringing followed by NU confuses people if they dial a
wrong number but you can't have everything.

Old April 21st 09, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Bodincus wrote:
Gordon Henderson:
In article ,
Bodincus wrote:
Hi Gordon - and all,

I have been asked to look into some hardware to add a few (2/4) GSM
channels to our IP PBX product.

I've been looking for something cheap and cheerful, and found some
Portech cards (PORTech DuMV) and external boxes (MV-372) that could do.

I'm aware you get what you pay for, but I need simplicity, reliability
and the very basic ability to make occasional outbound calls through the
mobile network.

Did anybody here use Portech products?
What you think?
Got any problems?

I've used a 2-port external Portech box - Ethernet in + 2 SIM cards for
outgoing calls.

It looks just like 2 SIP phones to asterisk.

Some docs I've read on voip-info.org say you can define it as a trunk -
lies?

What's a "trunk"?

I think it's a mis-used term myself.

However it's over a year since I setup that device - and I never even
had my hands on it - it was alldone remotely at a clients site with the
help of someone on-site do do things like re-flash it, etc.

It needed re-flashing to the latest s/w,

As every SIP device, if t'was sitting on the warehouse shelf for a month
or two.

and you need to set a weird mode
inside it (via the web interface) to make it return busy when a channel
is in-use, so when dialling a mobile number (_07Z.) I was dialling the
first account, and if busy, dialling the 2nd (and if that was busy,
defaulting to the normal outbound which for this box was isdn30)

Well, I can cope with weird... Reliability? Build quality?

As far as I know, it's still working...

I've also used a few of the analogue to GSM boxes, but they need an FXO
port on the PBX.

Aha, I have two of them. Two SIM / two POTS units, but to have a
reliable FXO in the PBX it's another half grand (Sangoma or others) - we
need four channels. Also, it's another level of complexity to the system
- I'd rather have a single device.

OpenVox A400 card. Works a treat and at a good price too. Use oslec if
you ever need to connect them to a BT line. That works a treat too.

(I used the Telecom FM GSM terminals)

Gordon
Old April 21st 09, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Jono wrote:
Bodincus pretended :
Gordon Henderson:
In article ,
Bodincus wrote:
[...]

Yup, that's the one.

In free-pbx speak, it would probably be set as a trunk. I don't need
any inbound calls on it as it's used to reduce costs on outbound calls,
in fact both SIMs are permanently diverted to one of the DDIs, so the
ports being "extensions" isn't an issue....with one exception...mental
note to fix....call pickup can sometimes grab one of the outbound
calls as the Portech's "extensions" ring briefly whilst the GSM is
dialling.

Occasionally, ringing followed by NU confuses people if they dial a
wrong number but you can't have everything.

Ah, I'd forgotten that. The portech answers the call, *then* outdials
over the GSM network - so it can take a few seconds of ringing that the
portech presents before the GSM network catches up...

Gordon
Old April 21st 09, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Gordon Henderson used his keyboard to write :
Occasionally, ringing followed by NU confuses people if they dial a
wrong number but you can't have everything.

Ah, I'd forgotten that. The portech answers the call, *then* outdials
over the GSM network - so it can take a few seconds of ringing that the
portech presents before the GSM network catches up...

yes, though this happens on an SPA3x0x too. Not a major issue. everyone
knows now and the ringing tone is perceptibly different too, so you can
tell when the gsm is actually ringing.

Old April 21st 09, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Gordon Henderson wrote on 21/04/2009 :
Some docs I've read on voip-info.org say you can define it as a trunk -
lies?

What's a "trunk"?

A bt line, an isdn channel a SIP connection (not phone)....freepbx
speak

I think it's a mis-used term myself.

Trunk / CO Line....a phrase used to identify the outbound 'lines'

Well, I can cope with weird... Reliability? Build quality?

As far as I know, it's still working...

Flawlessly