PlusNet: Streaming count towards download limits?

Old April 22nd 09, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default PlusNet: Streaming count towards download limits?

Hi,

I have the value package at my country pad.....(line says about 0.5mb
but getting 1.30mb - live 3,5km from exchange boohoo)

I watched an hour of the Apprentice and about an hour of various news
progs online...plus email and casual surfing the days total comes in
at 950mb, split about 50/50....at this rate my 10gb allowance will be
up in 15 days!! Surely this must make watching TV online via iplayer
etc a no no?

Old April 22nd 09, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

Paul wrote:
Hi,

I have the value package at my country pad.....(line says about 0.5mb
but getting 1.30mb - live 3,5km from exchange boohoo)

I watched an hour of the Apprentice and about an hour of various news
progs online...plus email and casual surfing the days total comes in
at 950mb, split about 50/50....at this rate my 10gb allowance will be
up in 15 days!! Surely this must make watching TV online via iplayer
etc a no no?

When the limit's up, you get an extra 2GB for £2
unless you put a stop on it. If an hour's streaming
is about 350Mbytes, that's 35p extra. Do you think
that's too much? It's pretty cheap if you're only
paying £5.99 rental, but there are other products
better suited to regular streaming.

Old April 22nd 09, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Paul" wrote in message

| Hi,
|
| I have the value package at my country pad.....(line says about
| 0.5mb but getting 1.30mb - live 3,5km from exchange boohoo)
|
| I watched an hour of the Apprentice and about an hour of various
| news progs online...plus email and casual surfing the days total
| comes in at 950mb, split about 50/50....at this rate my 10gb
| allowance will be up in 15 days!! Surely this must make watching TV
| online via iplayer etc a no no?

No, it just means that you are on the wrong package, that's all.

Old April 22nd 09, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:02:00 +0100, Jim wrote:

Paul wrote:
Hi,

I have the value package at my country pad.....(line says about 0.5mb
but getting 1.30mb - live 3,5km from exchange boohoo)

I watched an hour of the Apprentice and about an hour of various news
progs online...plus email and casual surfing the days total comes in
at 950mb, split about 50/50....at this rate my 10gb allowance will be
up in 15 days!! Surely this must make watching TV online via iplayer
etc a no no?

When the limit's up, you get an extra 2GB for £2
unless you put a stop on it. If an hour's streaming
is about 350Mbytes, that's 35p extra.

Do you think
that's too much?

For watching the apprentice! yes it is lol

It's pretty cheap if you're only
paying £5.99 rental, but there are other products
better suited to regular streaming.

Sadly my rental is £11.99 as my line did not qualify for the £5.99
deal.
Old April 22nd 09, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:02:12 +0100, "Kráftéé"
wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message

| Hi,
|
| I have the value package at my country pad.....(line says about
| 0.5mb but getting 1.30mb - live 3,5km from exchange boohoo)
|
| I watched an hour of the Apprentice and about an hour of various
| news progs online...plus email and casual surfing the days total
| comes in at 950mb, split about 50/50....at this rate my 10gb
| allowance will be up in 15 days!! Surely this must make watching TV
| online via iplayer etc a no no?

No, it just means that you are on the wrong package, that's all.

Not many of the basic packages allow as much as 10GB even. I did not
realise the streaming would require a premium connection. I guess
you're still downloading a large amount of data, even if you're not
saving it.

This then makes something like Sky HD (recordable) much more of an
option.
Old April 22nd 09, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Jim wrote:
Paul wrote:
Hi,

I have the value package at my country pad.....(line says about 0.5mb
but getting 1.30mb - live 3,5km from exchange boohoo)

I watched an hour of the Apprentice and about an hour of various news
progs online...plus email and casual surfing the days total comes in
at 950mb, split about 50/50....at this rate my 10gb allowance will be
up in 15 days!! Surely this must make watching TV online via iplayer
etc a no no?

When the limit's up, you get an extra 2GB for £2
unless you put a stop on it. If an hour's streaming
is about 350Mbytes, that's 35p extra.

An hours streaming of the HD content will be somewhere in the region of
a massive 1.5GB!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcintern...hdiplayer4.jpg

--
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old April 22nd 09, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Paul" wrote in message

| On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:02:12 +0100, "Kráftéé"
| wrote:
|
| "Paul" wrote in message
|
| | Hi,
| |
| | I have the value package at my country pad.....(line says about
| | 0.5mb but getting 1.30mb - live 3,5km from exchange boohoo)
| |
| | I watched an hour of the Apprentice and about an hour of various
| | news progs online...plus email and casual surfing the days total
| | comes in at 950mb, split about 50/50....at this rate my 10gb
| | allowance will be up in 15 days!! Surely this must make watching
| | TV online via iplayer etc a no no?
|
| No, it just means that you are on the wrong package, that's all.
|

| Not many of the basic packages allow as much as 10GB even. I did not
| realise the streaming would require a premium connection. I guess
| you're still downloading a large amount of data, even if you're not
| saving it.
|
| This then makes something like Sky HD (recordable) much more of an
| option.

Compared to what?

Old April 22nd 09, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eps

Kráftéé wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

| On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:02:12 +0100, "Kráftéé"
| wrote:
|
| "Paul" wrote in message
|
| | Hi,
| |
| | I have the value package at my country pad.....(line says about
| | 0.5mb but getting 1.30mb - live 3,5km from exchange boohoo)
| |
| | I watched an hour of the Apprentice and about an hour of various
| | news progs online...plus email and casual surfing the days total
| | comes in at 950mb, split about 50/50....at this rate my 10gb
| | allowance will be up in 15 days!! Surely this must make watching
| | TV online via iplayer etc a no no?
|
| No, it just means that you are on the wrong package, that's all.
|

| Not many of the basic packages allow as much as 10GB even. I did not
| realise the streaming would require a premium connection. I guess
| you're still downloading a large amount of data, even if you're not
| saving it.
|
| This then makes something like Sky HD (recordable) much more of an
| option.

Compared to what?

any bandwidth limited broadband connection...

--
Eps
Old April 22nd 09, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"eps" wrote in message
| Kráftéé wrote:
| "Paul" wrote in message
|
| | On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:02:12 +0100, "Kráftéé"
| | wrote:
| |
| | "Paul" wrote in message
| |
| | | Hi,
| | |
| | | I have the value package at my country pad.....(line says
| | | about
| | | 0.5mb but getting 1.30mb - live 3,5km from exchange boohoo)
| | |
| | | I watched an hour of the Apprentice and about an hour of
| | | various news progs online...plus email and casual surfing
| | | the days total comes in at 950mb, split about 50/50....at
| | | this rate my 10gb allowance will be up in 15 days!! Surely
| | | this must make watching TV online via iplayer etc a no no?
| |
| | No, it just means that you are on the wrong package, that's
| | all.
| |
| |
| | Not many of the basic packages allow as much as 10GB even. I
| | did not realise the streaming would require a premium
| | connection. I guess you're still downloading a large amount of
| | data, even if you're not saving it.
| |
| | This then makes something like Sky HD (recordable) much more of
| | an option.
|
| Compared to what?
|
| any bandwidth limited broadband connection...

But he doesn't state that, he compares limited broadband to (& I
quote) something like HD (recordable), which isn't a broadband product
in any shape or form.

Old April 22nd 09, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:25:01 +0100, "Kráftéé"
wrote:

"eps" wrote in message
| Kráftéé wrote:
| "Paul" wrote in message
|
| | On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:02:12 +0100, "Kráftéé"
| | wrote:
| |
| | "Paul" wrote in message
| |
| | | Hi,
| | |
| | | I have the value package at my country pad.....(line says
| | | about
| | | 0.5mb but getting 1.30mb - live 3,5km from exchange boohoo)
| | |
| | | I watched an hour of the Apprentice and about an hour of
| | | various news progs online...plus email and casual surfing
| | | the days total comes in at 950mb, split about 50/50....at
| | | this rate my 10gb allowance will be up in 15 days!! Surely
| | | this must make watching TV online via iplayer etc a no no?
| |
| | No, it just means that you are on the wrong package, that's
| | all.
| |
| |
| | Not many of the basic packages allow as much as 10GB even. I
| | did not realise the streaming would require a premium
| | connection. I guess you're still downloading a large amount of
| | data, even if you're not saving it.
| |
| | This then makes something like Sky HD (recordable) much more of
| | an option.
|
| Compared to what?
|
| any bandwidth limited broadband connection...

But he doesn't state that, he compares limited broadband to (& I
quote) something like HD (recordable), which isn't a broadband product
in any shape or form.

SKY TV starts at around £16pm (sorry I mean Sky+ not HD, that's
another story) so instead of bumping up my allowance to allow watching
TV online. It would be cheaper to just get the Sky+ package and use
that for TV.

My point being, the way they are pushing streaming of everything these
days, I presumed it was for all of us. I did not realise it was so
bandwidth hungry........ So who on earth can afford to use it?