WAP recommendation

Old April 26th 09, 10:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Hodgson

Default WAP recommendation

Hi,

Currently I have a Cisco ASA firewall and my network is behind that
(this is a home network, but I have to use some business apps that
requires the firewall).

I used a Netgear HomePlug wireless AP for a few years, and this worked
grate behind the ASA firewall, and as it was using HomePlug, I could
plug the AP upstairs and get good wireless signals around the house
(even though the backbone was only 14mbps).

However this is starting to play up, the SSID is shown, but when I go
to it, I never get an IP address from our DHCP server. If I reboot
the AP, it works fine for around an hour, then goes back into the
previous state. It is running a bit hot, and I wonder whether
something has gone inside?

Anyway, I was wondering what I could replace this with? I either need
a really good range, or to put the wireless station upstairs, so that
the signal is spread around the house.

I do have a couple of POE ports on the firewall if that makes a
difference.

Thanks.
Andrew.