How to get good audio quality with SKYPE?

Old April 27th 09, 12:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.voip
Lobster

Default How to get good audio quality with SKYPE?

Eusebius wrote:
I just tried out Skype to Canada, phoning a landline. I could hear the
guy clearly but he said my voice was like it was coming through cotton
wool. I was using a decent microphone, so where in my PC system can I
make improvements? The mic goes into a typical generic socket on the
back of the computer.

Without casting aspersions on the members of this group, who of course
know everything there is to know on any topic, you might be better off
posting in uk.telecom.voip (x-posted and f/ups set).

David
Old April 27th 09, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Evans

On Apr 27, 12:21�pm, Lobster wrote:
Eusebius wrote:
I just tried out Skype to Canada, phoning a landline. I could hear the
guy clearly but he said my voice was like it was coming through cotton
wool. I was using a decent microphone, so where in my PC system can I
make improvements? The mic goes into a typical generic socket on the
back of the computer.

Yes, hello!

I need a fairly quick solution so I can make SKYPE calls to Canada.
Right now plugging a microphone into the back of my PC isn't good
enough.

I'm a real beginner to this, so please explain any special terms!

thanks for your help

andy evans
Old April 27th 09, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve Hammond

Eusebius wrote:
I just tried out Skype to Canada, phoning a landline. I could hear the
guy clearly but he said my voice was like it was coming through cotton
wool. I was using a decent microphone, so where in my PC system can I
make improvements? The mic goes into a typical generic socket on the
back of the computer.

Yes, hello!

I need a fairly quick solution so I can make SKYPE calls to Canada.
Right now plugging a microphone into the back of my PC isn't good
enough.

I'm a real beginner to this, so please explain any special terms!

thanks for your help

andy evans

perhaps your sound card isn't that good but then I've no idea never
used it
Old April 27th 09, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
stephen

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:21:23 +0100, Lobster
wrote:

Eusebius wrote:
I just tried out Skype to Canada, phoning a landline. I could hear the
guy clearly but he said my voice was like it was coming through cotton
wool. I was using a decent microphone, so where in my PC system can I
make improvements? The mic goes into a typical generic socket on the
back of the computer.

Without casting aspersions on the members of this group, who of course
know everything there is to know on any topic, you might be better off
posting in uk.telecom.voip (x-posted and f/ups set).

David

if quality is important, then you might be better paying a p/min rate
and pushing the call onto good old fashioned telephony.

Even where the cheap providers use IP they control the underlying
network to give the quality you need.

0.5p / min to Canada:
http://www.18185.co.uk/rates.php
--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl
Old April 28th 09, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

wrote:

Eusebius wrote:
I just tried out Skype to Canada, phoning a landline. I could hear the
guy clearly but he said my voice was like it was coming through cotton
wool. I was using a decent microphone, so where in my PC system can I
make improvements? The mic goes into a typical generic socket on the
back of the computer.

Without casting aspersions on the members of this group, who of course
know everything there is to know on any topic, you might be better off
posting in uk.telecom.voip (x-posted and f/ups set).

David

if quality is important, then you might be better paying a p/min rate
and pushing the call onto good old fashioned telephony.

Even where the cheap providers use IP they control the underlying
network to give the quality you need.

0.5p / min to Canada:
http://www.18185.co.uk/rates.php

Calls through Skype aren't always of the best quality but I don't think
I've ever known them to be 'wooly', telephonic and tunnel-like but not
wooly. So I would guess that it might be something to do with your set
up. I am assuming you use the Windows OS. Have you tried recording your
voice using the recording application that is present on your system.
That will enable you to check out your microphone.
Many people use Skype because they don't know of any other system. Most
users of this group use a non-proprietary protocol called SIP.
You can install Gizmo to your computer and, if you check out the
Gizmo5.com web site, you will see that it is possible to call via Gizmo
into Skype if you pay $20/year. However, if it is your system that is
lacking in some way then that still would not be an answer.
You could purchase a cheap ATA (Analogue Telephone Adapter) and run Gizmo
on that, or alternatively,and this is a better option, use the services
of justvoip.com where you can call Canada for free (terms apply).
Alternatively, get a Skype phone from '3' (three.co.uk). You can use it
for free on PAYG or contract (terms apply). In this case your call is
routed as a standard voice call back to '3' and then put onto the Skype
system.