Change of T&C's

Old April 29th 09, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jasper

Default Change of T&C's

Just received an email in my primary account inbox today from my ISP
as follows:

"BT Total Broadband terms and conditions change
Dear Mr XXXXXX,
We’re changing your BT Total Broadband terms and conditions
The change relates to a charge that may be applied, for example, if
you switch to another provider and don’t use the standard migration
process, or if you stop your broadband service altogether.
From 12th June 2009, the charge will be increased from £18.11 to £25
(prices inc VAT), and may be applied regardless of whether or not
you’re within the minimum period of your contract."

So I can be charged a fee for cancelling my broadband service even
though I may be out of contract ? What is the point of signing a
contract if the company can still make a charge like this even after
the contract has ended ? Surely this cannot be correct

Jasper

Old April 29th 09, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Jasper" wrote in message
Just received an email in my primary account inbox today from my ISP
as follows:

"BT Total Broadband terms and conditions change
Dear Mr XXXXXX,
We're changing your BT Total Broadband terms and conditions
The change relates to a charge that may be applied, for example, if
you switch to another provider and don't use the standard migration
process, or if you stop your broadband service altogether.
From 12th June 2009, the charge will be increased from £18.11 to £25
(prices inc VAT), and may be applied regardless of whether or not
you're within the minimum period of your contract."

So I can be charged a fee for cancelling my broadband service even
though I may be out of contract ? What is the point of signing a
contract if the company can still make a charge like this even after
the contract has ended ? Surely this cannot be correct

Jasper

This cessation charge was brought in some months ago, and has been passed on
to ISPs, who will need to collect if from their customers.
It won't apply if you just change suppliers but will if you decide to give
up broadband altogether - say if you're emigrating or if you decide to leave
the tecnological world behind and grow carrots instead... ;-)

My ISP (Plusnet) has advised all its customers about this charge a while
back.

George

Old April 29th 09, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Just received an email in my primary account inbox today from my ISP
as follows:

"BT Total Broadband terms and conditions change
Dear Mr XXXXXX,
We're changing your BT Total Broadband terms and conditions
The change relates to a charge that may be applied, for example, if
you switch to another provider and don't use the standard migration
process, or if you stop your broadband service altogether.
From 12th June 2009, the charge will be increased from £18.11 to £25
(prices inc VAT), and may be applied regardless of whether or not
you're within the minimum period of your contract."

So I can be charged a fee for cancelling my broadband service even
though I may be out of contract ? What is the point of signing a
contract if the company can still make a charge like this even after
the contract has ended ? Surely this cannot be correct

When you signed up you agreed to the T&Cs that included a clause allowing
the charges to be altered, subject to due notice, and you can move away
without incurring the extra cost if you do it quickly. This sort of clause
is common to almost all ISPs contracts. Obviously if your contract has
finished and you have gone elsewhere they will not charge you. However, this
charge is now made to all ISPs using BT bundled lines so you may get charged
by them.

Peter Crosland

Old April 29th 09, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Weston

In article , "Jasper" wrote:
Just received an email in my primary account inbox today from my ISP
as follows:

"BT Total Broadband terms and conditions change
Dear Mr XXXXXX,
We?re changing your BT Total Broadband terms and conditions
The change relates to a charge that may be applied, for example, if
you switch to another provider and don?t use the standard migration
process, or if you stop your broadband service altogether.
From 12th June 2009, the charge will be increased from £18.11 to £25
(prices inc VAT), and may be applied regardless of whether or not
you?re within the minimum period of your contract."

So I can be charged a fee for cancelling my broadband service even
though I may be out of contract ? What is the point of signing a
contract if the company can still make a charge like this even after
the contract has ended ? Surely this cannot be correct

I'm afraid it is. Openreach are now charging all their customers for a
cancellation. Most(?) ISPs have elected to pass this charge onto their
soon-to-be-ex customer. This looks like the ISP known as BT Total
Broadband is also looking to recover this cost.

Moving to another ISP by means of a MAC number, "the standard migration
process" is still at no charge.

--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice
Old April 29th 09, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

John Weston wrote:

: Moving to another ISP by means of a MAC number, "the standard migration
: process" is still at no charge.

How about move to/from an LLU operator (Sky etc.)??? They are also paying
Openreach rental and fees!
Old April 29th 09, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trust No One®

George Weston wrote:

This cessation charge was brought in some months ago, and has been
passed on to ISPs, who will need to collect if from their customers.
It won't apply if you just change suppliers but will if you decide to
give up broadband altogether - say if you're emigrating or if you
decide to leave the tecnological world behind and grow carrots
instead... ;-)

If I were paranoid I'd said that this was a crafy way by an increasingly
authoritarianism govermment to lock its citizens into the information
superhighway "collective" so all communications and day to day dealings
(increasingly conducted over the Internet) can be tracked and monitored.

Expect this "cessation charge" to be gradually hiked up into the hundreds of
pounds.

--
Peter X-Files fan

Old April 30th 09, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

Brian Mc wrote:
John Weston wrote:

: Moving to another ISP by means of a MAC number, "the standard migration
: process" is still at no charge.

How about move to/from an LLU operator (Sky etc.)??? They are also paying
Openreach rental and fees!

As you can do this by supplying a MAC, the process is the same (I have
just moved from Sky by this mechanism).

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old April 30th 09, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

Jasper wrote:
Just received an email in my primary account inbox today from my ISP
as follows:

"BT Total Broadband terms and conditions change
Dear Mr XXXXXX,
We’re changing your BT Total Broadband terms and conditions
The change relates to a charge that may be applied, for example, if
you switch to another provider and don’t use the standard migration
process, or if you stop your broadband service altogether.
From 12th June 2009, the charge will be increased from £18.11 to £25
(prices inc VAT), and may be applied regardless of whether or not
you’re within the minimum period of your contract."

So I can be charged a fee for cancelling my broadband service even
though I may be out of contract ? What is the point of signing a
contract if the company can still make a charge like this even after
the contract has ended ? Surely this cannot be correct

Jasper

If you read it again, it is not if you are "out of contract" but, for
example, in the 13th month of a contract with a 12 month minimum term.