LAN speed problem on Linksys WAG54GS

Old May 3rd 09, 09:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Gartrell

Default LAN speed problem on Linksys WAG54GS

Hi there,

Firstly here is my set up:

1 Linksys Wireless ADSL Router WAG54GS
Main PC connected to the WAG54GS via ethernet cable
Laptop connected wirelessly
PC in son's bedroom connected wirelessly
Western Digital 'My World Book' 1Tb NAS Hard Drive connected to the WAG54GS
via ethernet cable
HP Officejet Pro L7780 connected wirelessly
PS3 connected wirelessly

Basically i'm having serious speed issues transferring data through the
ethernet ports between the main PC and the NAS hard drive. I should be able
to transfer data at around 100mb/s and indeed when I first turn on the
router this is easily achived and I can copy an 880Mb file to my PC in
around 1 min 20 secs. However if the router has been on for a while the
transfer takes over 20 minutes instead with the transfer rate dropping to a
maximum of 10mb/s. If I then turn off the router and turn it back on, the
transfer rate goes back up to 100mb/s - I assume from this that it is the
router that is the problem rather than any other item on the network.

Does anyone how i can stop this from happening please? I have no idea what's
triggering the speed drop and there seems to be no setting on the router's
web server that addresses the issue. I'm beginning to wonder if it's
developed a fault and may need replacing. I have updated the firmware but
without success. Turning the router off and on does solve the problem but
it plays havoc with the wireless connection to the printer - I have to reset
it each time, WPA2 passphrase and all!!

Any help and advice very gratefully received

Thanks in advance
David