BB newbie seeks advice on security

Old May 4th 09, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Tindall

Default BB newbie seeks advice on security

Having lurked on this newsgroup for some considerable time, I've just
taken the plunge and signed up with PlusNet. Following their
instructions, I entered the supplied WPA-PSK for the wireless router
they provided (Thomson Gateway) and my username and password for the
account.

Is that sufficient security? I was expecting at least another
password for the router, but maybe I'm thinking it's more complicated
than it really is?

TIA,

--
Martyn Tindall
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Old May 4th 09, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Having lurked on this newsgroup for some considerable time, I've just
taken the plunge and signed up with PlusNet. Following their
instructions, I entered the supplied WPA-PSK for the wireless router
they provided (Thomson Gateway) and my username and password for the
account.

Is that sufficient security? I was expecting at least another
password for the router, but maybe I'm thinking it's more complicated
than it really is?

Use WPA2 if the facility is there and make sure you use a long random key.

Peter Crosland

Old May 4th 09, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Martyn Tindall wrote:
Having lurked on this newsgroup for some considerable time, I've just
taken the plunge and signed up with PlusNet. Following their
instructions, I entered the supplied WPA-PSK for the wireless router
they provided (Thomson Gateway) and my username and password for the
account.

Is that sufficient security? I was expecting at least another
password for the router, but maybe I'm thinking it's more complicated
than it really is?

That should be sufficient security for a home network tbh. That is of
course unless you've a problem with the encryption key being on a
sticker attached to the base of the router - in which case you could
always peel it off

--
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old May 5th 09, 07:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Tindall

On Mon, 04 May 2009 23:43:23 +0100, Plusnet Support Team
wrote:

Martyn Tindall wrote:
Having lurked on this newsgroup for some considerable time, I've just
taken the plunge and signed up with PlusNet. Following their
instructions, I entered the supplied WPA-PSK for the wireless router
they provided (Thomson Gateway) and my username and password for the
account.

Is that sufficient security? I was expecting at least another
password for the router, but maybe I'm thinking it's more complicated
than it really is?

That should be sufficient security for a home network tbh. That is of
course unless you've a problem with the encryption key being on a
sticker attached to the base of the router - in which case you could
always peel it off

Yes it is and maybe I will!

Thanks,
Martyn

Old May 7th 09, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

You could restrict access additionally by permitting only your PC & or
laptop using their
inique MAC Codes;your router should have a feature to show what mac
codes are currently connected;
you can then restrict access to just those.

On a Netgear, go to
Wireless Settings then
Wireless stations access list.

wrote:

Martyn Tindall wrote:
Having lurked on this newsgroup for some considerable time, I've just
taken the plunge and signed up with PlusNet. *Following their
instructions, I entered the supplied WPA-PSK *for the wireless router
they provided (Thomson Gateway) and my username and password for the
account.

Is that sufficient security? *I was expecting at least another
password for the router, but maybe I'm thinking it's more complicated
than it really is?

That should be sufficient security for a home network tbh. That is of
course unless you've a problem with the encryption key being on a
sticker attached to the base of the router - in which case you could
always peel it off

Yes it is and maybe I will!

Thanks,
Martyn

--
|Bob Pullen * * * * * * * * * Broadband Solutions for
|Support * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Home & Business @
|Plusnet plc. * * * * * * * * * * * * * *www..plus.net
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------

--
Martyn Tindall
Leeds, England, United Kingdom- Hide quoted text -

Old May 8th 09, 03:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

You could restrict access additionally by permitting only your PC & or
laptop using their
inique MAC Codes;your router should have a feature to show what mac
codes are currently connected;
you can then restrict access to just those.

On a Netgear, go to
Wireless Settings then
Wireless stations access list.

Using the MAC code offers next to no extra protection because the MAC code
is readily cracked using software that is widely available on the net.

Incidentally it would help if you did not top post as it makes threads hard
to follow.

--
Peter Crosland