BT vs Talk Talk

Old May 8th 09, 06:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward W. Thompson

Default BT vs Talk Talk

I am considering switching from BT to Talk Talk purely for reasons of
price. I live in Arnold (Nottingham), does anyone have any info on
Talk Talk broadband service in this area (Arnold exchange)? I know
the exchange has recently been upgraded and I have no complaints about
the speed/reliability of the BT service.

The price diference between Talk talk and BT is too large to be
ignored. Talk Talk is offereing Broadband plus telephobe for 21 per
month versus the same from BT of 50 per month.

Talk Talk has be vilefied but I now understand they have cleaned up
their act plus I think speed and reliability are very much location
dependent, that is dependent upon the equipment at the local exchange.
Old May 8th 09, 07:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Edward W. Thompson wrote:

I am considering switching from BT to Talk Talk purely for reasons of
price. I live in Arnold (Nottingham), does anyone have any info on
Talk Talk broadband service in this area (Arnold exchange)? I know
the exchange has recently been upgraded and I have no complaints about
the speed/reliability of the BT service.

The price diference between Talk talk and BT is too large to be
ignored. Talk Talk is offereing Broadband plus telephobe for 21 per
month versus the same from BT of 50 per month.

Remember that via BT you have a choice of over 100 ISPs you can use,
PLUS ISPs who have put their own equipment into your exchange. You are
not limited to using BT as an internet provider.

But I do find your cost to be rather high - Basic BT line is 11.50,
so you're spending 38.50 on broadband. Even my business customers only
spend 25 on a business quality broadband supply (via the BT wholesale
network) Or maybe you've been conned by BT into taking one of their
higher fixed-price packages... If so, check your phone bills to see if
another operator will cot you the same as BT...

Go to http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ and start reading...

Gordon
Old May 8th 09, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

"Edward W. Thompson" wrote:

I am considering switching from BT to Talk Talk purely for reasons of
price. I live in Arnold (Nottingham), does anyone have any info on
Talk Talk broadband service in this area (Arnold exchange)? I know
the exchange has recently been upgraded and I have no complaints about
the speed/reliability of the BT service.

The price diference between Talk talk and BT is too large to be
ignored. Talk Talk is offereing Broadband plus telephobe for 21 per
month versus the same from BT of 50 per month.

Then you would seem to be paying BT over the odds.

Get Options 1 and 2 from BT ( free evening and weekend calls ) by
re-signing up for a year ( 12 pcm ), use 1899.com for daytime calls ( UK
geographical calls are 5p connection charge and 0p / minute therafter), my
last bill from them was 6.44 for TWO months and get a decent ISP.

What are your download requirements ?

Grham

Old May 8th 09, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"Eeyore" wrote in message

"Edward W. Thompson" wrote:

I am considering switching from BT to Talk Talk purely for reasons of
price. I live in Arnold (Nottingham), does anyone have any info on
Talk Talk broadband service in this area (Arnold exchange)? I know
the exchange has recently been upgraded and I have no complaints about
the speed/reliability of the BT service.

The price diference between Talk talk and BT is too large to be
ignored. Talk Talk is offereing Broadband plus telephobe for 21 per
month versus the same from BT of 50 per month.

Then you would seem to be paying BT over the odds.

Get Options 1 and 2 from BT ( free evening and weekend calls ) by
re-signing up for a year ( 12 pcm ), use 1899.com for daytime calls ( UK
geographical calls are 5p connection charge and 0p / minute therafter), my
last bill from them was 6.44 for TWO months and get a decent ISP.

How do you get a bill for 6.44 when you're paying 12 quid a month for the
package?

Is there another discount scheme somewhere?

--

WildCardZero

Old May 8th 09, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"WCZ" wrote in message
"Eeyore" wrote in message

"Edward W. Thompson" wrote:

[...]

Thought he said 12 a month to BT
6.44 for 2 months to 1899.com. Do you think he pays more?

--
Regards,
David

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.

Old May 8th 09, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Edward W. Thompson wrote:
I am considering switching from BT to Talk Talk purely for reasons of
price. [...]

So quality of service is completely irrelevant to you?

The price diference between Talk talk and BT is too large to be
ignored. Talk Talk is offereing Broadband plus telephobe for 21 per
month versus the same from BT of 50 per month.

I pay 11.50 (I think) a month to BT for line rental, including offpeak
geographic calls. Peak-time and all mobile/international calls go through
indirect providers (not CPS), which means they cost me only a connection
fee. Good solid broadband is a whisper under 20/month from UKFSN
(EntaNet).

That comes in at around 31/month plus some calls, which I don't think
is unreasonable. Others will no doubt come up with alternatives.

Chris
Old May 8th 09, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Petert

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMARNOL
Old May 8th 09, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"David" wrote in message

"WCZ" wrote in message
"Eeyore" wrote in message

"Edward W. Thompson" wrote:

[...]

Aaaaah, I see now. It hadn't clicked that the 6.44 was going to someone
else. Hadn't had my morning coffee you see. :-)

--

WildCardZero

Old May 8th 09, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Edward W. Thompson" wrote in message

I am considering switching from BT to Talk Talk purely for reasons of
price. I live in Arnold (Nottingham), does anyone have any info on
Talk Talk broadband service in this area (Arnold exchange)? I know
the exchange has recently been upgraded and I have no complaints about
the speed/reliability of the BT service.

The price diference between Talk talk and BT is too large to be
ignored. Talk Talk is offereing Broadband plus telephobe for 21 per
month versus the same from BT of 50 per month.

Talk Talk has be vilefied but I now understand they have cleaned up
their act plus I think speed and reliability are very much location
dependent, that is dependent upon the equipment at the local exchange.

Talk Talk - and loads of other ISPs - are available in *every* exchange
area, via the BT line you've already got. You'll get (in theory) the same
Broadband service as you're getting now - that is, "up to 8 Meg" ADSL+. You
might, however, get a different *performance*, dependant upon your chosen
ISP's investment in backhaul equipment. throttling policy, etc.
If you want to migrate to another ISP, just contact BT, get a MAC number,
then choose the ISP you want and sign up via their website. Dead simple.
Should be done in a few days, pretty-well seamlessly.
There are a few ISPs out there that offer a different/better(?) service from
the normal BT-line, up-to-8 Meg package, for instance, Virgin (cable), BE
and O2, where availability in the local exchange *is* a factor. However, for
a straight transfer of ISP, you could choose virtually any of them.
Getting down to basics, I wouldn't touch Talk Talk with the proverbial
barge-pole, if I were you!
Nor, from what I read on this newsgroup, would I go anywhere near Tiscali,
Pipex, Tesco, or even the Post Office, as their customer service is alleged
to be varying degrees of crap.
There are many good ISPs out there - check out www.thinkbroadband.com for
ratings.
In the end, you pays your money and takes your choice.
I'd agree with you that BT Broadband is over-priced. I used to be with them
and migrated away because of this and also because I got fed up with their
customer support in India.
However, don't just go for the cheapest option, as you'll probably regret
it. Cheap = nasty!
I stuck with BT for my phone line, for the reason that it's a lot easier to
report line faults and get them fixed. They have many different calling
plans which might suit you.
Whichever ISP you choose, I would also recommend that you sign up to one
that has a customer service office in the UK. You'll at least be able to
converse with someone who speaks English as a first language and can
understand British regional accents and figures of speech. Try talking to an
Indian or Bulgarian in your natural speaking voice at your normal speed,
using your local accent and colloquialisms. See what I mean?

Hope that helps,

George

Old May 8th 09, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

WCZ wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
"Edward W. Thompson" wrote:

[...]