dumping my sip provider: req recommendations

Old May 9th 09, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
tg

Default dumping my sip provider: req recommendations

I'd appreciate any recommendations I can get to change to a decent sip
provider here at home.
I'm in the UK and I've had it with my current provider -
tescointernetphone - the service is poor, the staff are thick and
they're always making excuses for their bad service and lack of
knowledge. My requirements are a monthly payment package with unlimited
free landline calls. I never call international and rarely call mobiles.
I use my own sip equipment and don't need to purchase any hardware. The
sip service is just for me at home so I don't need business level stuff.
I'm looking for a sip provider that gives good reliable service and
intelligent support without charging an arm-and-a-leg.
Thanks for any advice.

Old May 9th 09, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sat, 09 May 2009 12:41:40 +0100, tg wrote:

I'd appreciate any recommendations I can get to change to a decent sip
provider here at home.
I'm in the UK and I've had it with my current provider -
tescointernetphone - the service is poor, the staff are thick and
they're always making excuses for their bad service and lack of
knowledge. My requirements are a monthly payment package with unlimited
free landline calls. I never call international and rarely call mobiles.
I use my own sip equipment and don't need to purchase any hardware. The
sip service is just for me at home so I don't need business level stuff.
I'm looking for a sip provider that gives good reliable service and
intelligent support without charging an arm-and-a-leg. Thanks for any
advice.

One of the Betamax companiues (e.g. justvoip.com) will, from my
experience, give a reliable outgoing SIP service. Top up with 10 and
you'll get 4 months of free calls.Then you can use your top-up to call
chargeable numbers such as mobiles etc. Downside is that there is
virtually no customer service ...but then I don't find I need it.
Voipfone costs more but you will get some customer service. Also you
could look at voiptalk. Depending on the ATA you have, you don't need to
have the same provider for incoming calls as for outgoing, if, that is,
you want incoming calls at all.

Old May 9th 09, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
tony sayer

In article , Brian A
scribeth thus
[...]

We use VoIPfone and they seem fine tho I reckon customer support is the
one bloke;!..

But still thats better than BT...
--
Tony Sayer

Old May 9th 09, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

"tg" wrote in message
[...]

I have no complaints about www.voip.co.uk and they answer queries
quickly and courteously.

Andrews and Arnold, and Draytel often get good reports on here,
and Sipgate, once the pariah, are now viewed as one of the better
providers.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old May 9th 09, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

Depending on the ATA you have, you don't need to
have the same provider for incoming calls as for outgoing, if, that is,
you want incoming calls at all.

It can be done.
I've got an ATA that only supports a single account which is pointing
to my outgoing provider smslisto.
I have lots incoming numbers from providers that include sipgate,
and tescointernetphone, that each have pbxes.com trunk regestered,
and in each case an inbound route points to the uri of my ATA
which is

The important thing of course is that the Betamax account is not
entrusted to the care of services like pbxes or mysipswitch because
you will forfeit your inclusive calls. I think voxalot is immune to this,
but registration of incoming providers is not free.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 9th 09, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"tg" wrote in message
I'd appreciate any recommendations I can get to change to a decent sip
provider here at home.
I'm in the UK and I've had it with my current provider -
tescointernetphone - the service is poor, the staff are thick and
they're always making excuses for their bad service and lack of
knowledge. My requirements are a monthly payment package with unlimited
free landline calls. I never call international and rarely call mobiles.
I use my own sip equipment and don't need to purchase any hardware. The
sip service is just for me at home so I don't need business level stuff.
I'm looking for a sip provider that gives good reliable service and
intelligent support without charging an arm-and-a-leg.
Thanks for any advice.

I imagine Tesco's support is primarily for their own plug &
play products rather than people who want to configure their
own devices.
I have a Tesco account set up, but I don't actively use it.
I just tried dialling it's number, it rang my phone (via an ATA)
but there is no audio in either direction. Is that your trouble?
You don't say.
I'm not at all bothered, I have plenty of others which don't
give trouble such as those from orbtalk.co.uk and sipgate.co.uk

Think of this newsgroup as your support, we will be happy to
help you.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 9th 09, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
tg

"Woody" wrote in message
"tg" wrote in message

I have no complaints about www.voip.co.uk and they answer queries
quickly and courteously.

thanks for your response woody but voip.co.uk don't show any prices or
tarriffs on their website and when I rang them they only do payg. I'm
looking for a fixed monthly fee with unlimited landline calls.

Old May 9th 09, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
tg

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in
message ...

Sipgate is OK.

sipgate only to payg from what I could see, I'm looking for monthly
fixed fee with unlimited landline calls.

Old May 9th 09, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
tg

"Brian A" wrote in message
om...
On Sat, 09 May 2009 12:41:40 +0100, tg wrote:

advice.

One of the Betamax companiues (e.g. justvoip.com)

justvoip is only payg from what I could see, I wanted a package with a
monthly fixed fee with unlimited landline calls.

Old May 9th 09, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
tg

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Brian A
scribeth thus
On Sat, 09 May 2009 12:41:40 +0100, tg wrote:

We use VoIPfone and they seem fine tho I reckon customer support is
the
one bloke;!..

thanks but from what I could see voipfone only do payg, and I wanted a
monthly fixed fee with unlimited landline calls.