ADSL almost Dropout (longish)

Old May 13th 09, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Cole

Default ADSL almost Dropout (longish)

This is probably an FAQ, but Google found nothing.

Symptoms:
My broadband system apparently loses it's ADSL connection (IE & FF give a
DNS failure message as though the line was down.), although my modem /
router still shows that it is online but not receiving. This happens
without the house phone being used.

System:
Dell PC running Vista Pro (fully patched).
3Com Officeconnect 3CRWDR0101A-75 ADSL Wireless Firewall Router, powered
off when PC powered off.
Gigabit network router connecting PC to Router.
ISP is Plusnet (well Metronet actually, but AYK that's Plusnet).
Phone provider BT (distance to exchange 3.8Km), old style Plug Box.

Changes made so far:
Replaced the Filters
Replaced and moved the ADSL modem lead to connect to primary BT plug box.

Current error recovery:
The only way I can get ADSL back is to reset the Modem Router.

Any thing else I can change / update / move around?
I haven't checked that the bell wire is disconnected yet, but I'm fairly
sure I did that a few years ago.

Thanks

Richard
--
http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk
"DEL *.* Does WHAT?"
Old May 13th 09, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , Richard Cole
writes
[...]

What do you mean when you say that the "...modem /
router still shows that it is online but not receiving"

Is this based on its web page or on the lights on the front?

Can you ping the router when the link dies?
Can you access the router interface when the link dies?
can you access anything else on the LAN when the ADSL link dies?

What does the router log say when you loose the link?

If you can access the LAN but not the router the first suspect would be
that the router is failing/hanging.

If you can't get at the LAN either then you could have a failing NIC in
the PC.

If you can I would try a different router.

--
Invalid
Old May 13th 09, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Richard Cole" wrote in message
[...]

Look at the status page in the router.

Does it show ADSL sync?

If so report the SNR margin, line attenuation, and speed; for both upstream
and downstream if these are available separately.

Does the router show it has a PPP connection? If so it will show the IP
address allocated to it by your ISP. Somewhere it will also show the DNS
server(s) (generally 2) that are allocated by the ISP and a Default Gateway
which is the IP address of the router at the ISP through which all traffic
will travel.

Can you ping the DNS server(s) reliably ??

Can you ping the Default Gateway reliably ???

Can you ping a well known public IP address reliably?? (Something like
www.intel.com)

Report back all these results.

--
Graham

Old May 13th 09, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Richard Cole wrote:

This is probably an FAQ, but Google found nothing.

Symptoms:
My broadband system apparently loses it's ADSL connection (IE & FF give a
DNS failure message as though the line was down.), although my modem /
router still shows that it is online but not receiving. This happens
without the house phone being used.

Are you familiar with access to your router's diagnostics and logs ? You can
tell a LOT by watching a connect procedure.

Graham

Old May 13th 09, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

[...]

There are a few confusing statements in there, eg.
"Gigabit network router connecting PC to Router"
Are you really connecting via two different
routers? Which one, if any, is configured for DHCP?
Or is the Gigabit device actually a switch?

Also, "router still shows that it is online but not receiving"
how are you deducing this? by the diagnistic LEDs or
something in its web interface?

If it's just a DNS issue you should be able to call up
WWW pages by IP address, try putting
http://209.85.229.103/
into a browser url bar when the fault is present.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 13th 09, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Cole

On Wed, 13 May 2009 19:23:15 +0100, Invalid
wrote:

In message , Richard Cole
writes
[...]

based on the lights

Can you ping the router when the link dies?

No - Times out

Can you access the router interface when the link dies?

Yes - And tell it to reset

can you access anything else on the LAN when the ADSL link dies?

Yes - NAS drive

What does the router log say when you loose the link?

Good point - I'll check before the next reset

If you can access the LAN but not the router the first suspect would be
that the router is failing/hanging.

If you can't get at the LAN either then you could have a failing NIC in
the PC.

If you can I would try a different router.

I've got my old ADSL (Not ADSL/2) router still in a box, so I could try
that.

Thanks Invalid.

Richard
Old May 13th 09, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Cole

On Wed, 13 May 2009 20:23:02 +0100, "Graham." wrote:

There are a few confusing statements in there, eg.
"Gigabit network router connecting PC to Router"
Are you really connecting via two different
routers? Which one, if any, is configured for DHCP?
Or is the Gigabit device actually a switch?

Sorry, the Gigabit device is a switch

Also, "router still shows that it is online but not receiving"
how are you deducing this? by the diagnistic LEDs or
something in its web interface?

LED's

If it's just a DNS issue you should be able to call up
WWW pages by IP address, try putting
http://209.85.229.103/
into a browser url bar when the fault is present.

I've booked marked that shortcut and will try this next time it fails.

Thanks Graham

Richard
Old May 13th 09, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Cole

On Wed, 13 May 2009 19:45:14 +0100, "Graham J"
wrote:

Look at the status page in the router.

Does it show ADSL sync?

Yes, that all shows as normal

If so report the SNR margin, line attenuation, and speed; for both upstream
and downstream if these are available separately.

I'll get these next time it fails. Currently it's showing:
SNR margin: Not shown on ADSL Status
Attenuation: 60dB (Upstream); 52dB (Downstream)
Date Rate: 448Kbps (Up Stream); 1984 Kbps (Down Stream)

Does the router show it has a PPP connection? If so it will show the IP
address allocated to it by your ISP. Somewhere it will also show the DNS
server(s) (generally 2) that are allocated by the ISP and a Default Gateway
which is the IP address of the router at the ISP through which all traffic
will travel.

My IP address is fixed and DNS is as supplied automatically (212.159.13.49
& 212.159.13.50)

Can you ping the DNS server(s) reliably ??

Primary varies between 29ms and 72ms average mid 40ms's (over 20 echo
requests), Secondary varies between 39ms and 74ms average mid 60ms's(again
over 20)
Can you ping the Default Gateway reliably ???

ISP Gateway varies between 31ms and 41ms average low 30ms's (again over 20
echos)

Can you ping a well known public IP address reliably?? (Something like
www.intel.com)

www.google.co.uk varies between 36ms and 56ms average high 30ms's (again
over 20 echos)

Old May 13th 09, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Cole

On Wed, 13 May 2009 20:18:25 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Richard Cole wrote:

This is probably an FAQ, but Google found nothing.

Symptoms:
My broadband system apparently loses it's ADSL connection (IE & FF give a
DNS failure message as though the line was down.), although my modem /
router still shows that it is online but not receiving. This happens
without the house phone being used.

Are you familiar with access to your router's diagnostics and logs ? You can
tell a LOT by watching a connect procedure.

Graham

I'll save them the next time it fails.

Thanks

Richard
Old May 13th 09, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Also, "router still shows that it is online but not receiving"
how are you deducing this? by the diagnistic LEDs or
something in its web interface?

LED's

You need to be more specific about the lights so we can tell
if your router is losing the session, or losing sync.

Assuming it is losing sync (the most likely scenario),
you will need to tell us in detail about your telephone sockets,
what is plugged into them, anything hardwired (like bells & alarms)
and the position of your ADSL filter(s).

As a test, can you disconnect all your internal wiring and
plug the router directly into the incoming line at the master socket?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%