Sky television

Old May 17th 09, 10:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Ridgeway

Default Sky television

I'm thinking about getting Sky television. Sky says it's delivered over the
telephone wire not, as I thought, through a dish. I already have Internet
broadband. I'm concerned that also getting television may not be a good
thing. For example we're told that copper wire has a finite capacity. Will
it take broadband, telephone and television without degrading those
services?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Old May 17th 09, 10:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Rob Wilson

Bill Ridgeway wrote:
I'm thinking about getting Sky television. Sky says it's delivered over the
telephone wire not, as I thought, through a dish. I already have Internet
broadband. I'm concerned that also getting television may not be a good
thing. For example we're told that copper wire has a finite capacity. Will
it take broadband, telephone and television without degrading those
services?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Are you sure you have'nt got the wrong end fo the stick there? I did'nt
think Sky were into IPTV? I think that delivering IPTV would require at
least ADSL2+....do you live in an ADSL2+ region?

Rob.
Old May 17th 09, 10:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Bill, I think you have some wires crossed, or else $ky are being even
more misleading than they habitually are, in this case to the point of
potentially confusing potential customers away from Sky altogether, so
probably not the latter.

$ky is indeed delivered via geo-stationary satellite to a satellite
dish. The phone line may have been introduced into the conversation
because:

1) IIRC, Sky boxes need to 'phone home', at least upon in
installation, maybe sometimes subsequently, before they will work.

2) $ky also delivers some content in a similar manner to the BBC
iPlayer, theirs is $ky Player, so that you can watch programmes that
you missed, etc.

If you really must have $ky, then the place to begin is probably
Freesat from $ky / Pay Once Watch Forever (WARNING: Some might
consider both these names to be deliberately confusing &/or
misleading) ...
http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/
.... or their subscription services ...
http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyproducts

However, you might find that Freesat will give you all you require. I
would recommend that you also have a look at what you can get for free
before signing up to anything with $ky.
http://www.freesat.co.uk/

If you want to know more about the options for receiving UK TV
generally, then I have prepared a doc on the subject:
http://tinyurl.com/5svtuk
.... standing in for ...
http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/Audi...TVInTheUK.html

I also have quite a comprehensive section on Satellite TV, including
DIY help, etc:
http://tinyurl.com/6fpbyy
.... standing in for ...
http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/Audi...telliteTV.html

On Sun, 17 May 2009 10:22:21 +0100, "Bill Ridgeway"
wrote:

I'm thinking about getting Sky television. Sky says it's delivered over the
telephone wire not, as I thought, through a dish. I already have Internet
broadband. I'm concerned that also getting television may not be a good
thing. For example we're told that copper wire has a finite capacity. Will
it take broadband, telephone and television without degrading those
services?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

======================================

Please always reply to news group as the email address in
this post's header does not exist. Alternatively, use the
contact address at:
Old May 17th 09, 11:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
The dog from that film you saw

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
I'm thinking about getting Sky television. Sky says it's delivered over
the telephone wire not, as I thought, through a dish. I

since when do they say that? - of course it's via satellite.
you're either fibbing or you spoke to an insane lunatic

--
Gareth.

that fly...... is your magic wand....

Old May 17th 09, 12:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Ridgeway

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
I'm thinking about getting Sky television. Sky says it's delivered over
the telephone wire not, as I thought, through a dish. I already have
Internet broadband. I'm concerned that also getting television may not be
a good thing. For example we're told that copper wire has a finite
capacity. Will it take broadband, telephone and television without
degrading those services?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Thanks for your replies. I spoke (on-line) to an agent. I asked
specifically if delivery is by dish or telephone. He answered by telephone
and, when asked again, confirmed his answer. I was a little suspicious when
during the 'conversation' he asked me twice about signing up. I had the
impression he just wanted a bit more commission and was willing to tell a
potential customer anything they wanted to hear to get the sale. Good job I
asked here!

Bill Ridgeway

Old May 17th 09, 12:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Megahertz Systems

"The dog from that film you saw" wrote in
message ...

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
I'm thinking about getting Sky television. Sky says it's delivered over
the telephone wire not, as I thought, through a dish. I

since when do they say that? - of course it's via satellite.
you're either fibbing or you spoke to an insane lunatic

--
Gareth.

http://skyplayer.sky.com/vod/page/default/home.do

You Can take the option of viewing without a SKY Dish/Account.

"Want to watch TV on Sky Player?
You can take out a monthly Sky Player TV subscription from as little as
£15/€18 (with no minimum subscription period) OR you can rent or buy on
demand from only £0.98/€1.27 per programme. After you click ‘Register'
below, you'll see more information about what's on offer."

Old May 17th 09, 08:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Java Jive" wrote in message
[...]

On the other hand, if Sky broadband LLU is available in his area?

It could be worth taking a typical sky dish delivered package
with LLU (what sky call Max, up to 16Mb) broadband added.

As it could be cheaper and better broadband than he has,
and reduce the cost of a Sky package on it's own?

Steve Terry

Old May 17th 09, 08:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Ferguson

On 2009-05-17, Rob Wilson wrote:
Bill Ridgeway wrote:
I'm thinking about getting Sky television. Sky says it's delivered over the
telephone wire not, as I thought, through a dish. I already have Internet
broadband. I'm concerned that also getting television may not be a good
thing. For example we're told that copper wire has a finite capacity. Will
it take broadband, telephone and television without degrading those
services?

Are you sure you have'nt got the wrong end fo the stick there? I did'nt
think Sky were into IPTV? I think that delivering IPTV would require at
least ADSL2+....do you live in an ADSL2+ region?

I have IPTV service in Hong Kong, and it runs just fine over normal,
plain old ADSL. I think a standard definition channel only uses 1.5 Mbps
or so.

They do, however, provide an ADSL circuit dedicated to the TV service,
separate from the circuit used for Internet service.

In any case, I don't think Sky does anything like that.

Dennis Ferguson
Old May 17th 09, 08:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Steve Terry wrote:
|| As it could be cheaper and better broadband than he has,

How so? Unless the OP lives relatively close to the exchange the
advantages of being ADSL2 become a rapidly diminishing factor.

Old May 17th 09, 08:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Kraftee" wrote in message
Steve Terry wrote:
|| As it could be cheaper and better broadband than he has,

How so? Unless the OP lives relatively close to the exchange the
advantages of being ADSL2 become a rapidly diminishing factor.

Cheap and generally reliable for the price.

Depends what he's already got, and maybe he is near a LLUed exchange?

Steve Terry