bouncing email

Old May 18th 09, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default bouncing email

I have an email account with my ISP, Demon. I use this to send email to a
small mailing list - about 50 people.

Mail to one recipient bounces, the NDR says: "550 instead of a domain name
on the right hand side."

If I send one email explicitly to the same recipient that also bounces, but
with " 503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA"

Google suggests that this is a problem with my mail server (i.e. Demon) in
that I should authenticate SMTP before sending. However my internet
connection is with Demon, and their documentation suggests that
authentication is provided by virtue of the internet connection - and
further, if failure to authenticate with the Demon SMTP server were the
problem why does it work for the other 49 recipients on my mailing list?

Can anybody please suggest the real cause of this problem?

TIA

-- Graham

Old May 18th 09, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Graham J wrote:
I have an email account with my ISP, Demon. I use this to send email to a
small mailing list - about 50 people.

Mail to one recipient bounces, the NDR says: "550 instead of a domain name
on the right hand side."

If I send one email explicitly to the same recipient that also bounces, but
with " 503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA"

Google suggests that this is a problem with my mail server (i.e. Demon) in
that I should authenticate SMTP before sending. However my internet
connection is with Demon, and their documentation suggests that
authentication is provided by virtue of the internet connection - and
further, if failure to authenticate with the Demon SMTP server were the
problem why does it work for the other 49 recipients on my mailing list?

Can anybody please suggest the real cause of this problem?

It sounds like the mail address is badly formed. Or missing.

Check for inverted commas in it.

TIA

-- Graham

Old May 18th 09, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Graham J wrote:
[...]

No, don't think so.

Could you try to send to it please, it is:

--
Graham J

Old May 18th 09, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

On 18-May-2009, "Graham J" wrote:

Can anybody please suggest the real cause of this problem?

From several possible cause of rejected email, two come to mind, one
is the source ISP being on a black list of the recipients ISP for
spamming (which is of course specific to that recipient, a second
possibility is that some corporate (and maybe other) incoming
mailbox accounts being set up to do a reverse lookup to see
if the sender has a valid mailbox, another attempt to block
spam.
I could also be that the recipients mailbox has exceeded
its quota.
Old May 18th 09, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Graham J wrote:
I have an email account with my ISP, Demon. I use this to send email to a
small mailing list - about 50 people.

Mail to one recipient bounces, the NDR says: "550 instead of a domain name
on the right hand side."

If I send one email explicitly to the same recipient that also bounces, but
with " 503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA"

Google suggests that this is a problem with my mail server (i.e. Demon) in
that I should authenticate SMTP before sending. However my internet
connection is with Demon, and their documentation suggests that
authentication is provided by virtue of the internet connection - and
further, if failure to authenticate with the Demon SMTP server were the
problem why does it work for the other 49 recipients on my mailing list?

Can anybody please suggest the real cause of this problem?

Are you sending *from* a valid email address?

--
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old May 18th 09, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Plusnet Support Team" wrote in message

Graham J wrote:
I have an email account with my ISP, Demon. I use this to send email to
a small mailing list - about 50 people.

Mail to one recipient bounces, the NDR says: "550 instead of a domain
name on the right hand side."

If I send one email explicitly to the same recipient that also bounces,
but with " 503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA"

Google suggests that this is a problem with my mail server (i.e. Demon)
in that I should authenticate SMTP before sending. However my internet
connection is with Demon, and their documentation suggests that
authentication is provided by virtue of the internet connection - and
further, if failure to authenticate with the Demon SMTP server were the
problem why does it work for the other 49 recipients on my mailing list?

Can anybody please suggest the real cause of this problem?

Are you sending *from* a valid email address?

Yes. All other emails sent via this account all get through OK

--
Graham J

Old May 18th 09, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Fraser

Graham J wrote:
I have an email account with my ISP, Demon. I use this to send email to a
small mailing list - about 50 people.

Mail to one recipient bounces, the NDR says: "550 instead of a domain name
on the right hand side."

This appears to be only the last line of a multi-line error response
that was returned in response to a RCPT command. From Google I reckon
the full response should read, "It appears that the DNS operator for
$DOMAIN has installed an invalid MX record with an IP address instead of
a domain name on the right hand side."

On checking the domain given in another post, this is an accurate
diagnosis. So, whoever is responsible for maintaining DNS for the domain
should replace the MX record with one that specifies the *name* of the
server responsible for handling mail for the domain.

If I send one email explicitly to the same recipient that also bounces, but
with " 503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA"

There's something broken... The error is reasonable, but the error I
would expect to be reported is the one above. Google RFC2920 if you're
interested.

Alex
Old May 18th 09, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

It's customary to mung email addresses on Usenet.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 18th 09, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

It's customary to mung email addresses on Usenet.
--
Graham.

Nothing more annoying, many times I have sent a
personal reply, only for it to bounce.
Just use a secondary email address, I use a
hotmail one.
If people want help then anonymous from
addresses don't help.
Old May 19th 09, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Graham." wrote in message

It's customary to mung email addresses on Usenet.
Graham.

Indeed, a popular munge is to replace @ for AT,
or replace any numbers for the written word

Munges are used to confuse Spambots

It's for the replier to interpret the email addy in the header for munges
and correct them

use a bit of common sense

Steve Terry