HELP With TalkTalk connection

Old May 18th 09, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hamsatuk

Default HELP With TalkTalk connection

Hi I am making this request for help on behalf of two friends who are
having very similar problems with TalkTalk here in Plymouth Devon.
They have both been able to connect to talktalk broadband with out to
many problems for the last couple of years. Now all of a sudden their
connection has gone down hill. One is using a Netgear modem router,
the other is using a Huawei - HG520b modem router which is a new modem
supplied by talktalk. Both modems have been checked on other ISP's
with no problems, connecting every time, the filters have been changed
and plugs checked and double checked. Also computers scanned for
spyware, etc. The netgear modem does not see any ADSL signal at all
the Hvawei modem router gets a signal if connected at the socket where
the phone line enters the house but if it is connected to another
socket in the house the ADSL signal will not lock which it used to do.
The Netgear modem router is connected to the main socket but can not
log on to and does not see the ADSL signal. We have tried everything
and made numerous calls to talktalk who are not very helpful. Does
anybody have any suggestions as to what may be wrong and a solution to
help us solve these issues.
Thanks
Tony
Old May 19th 09, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

On 18-May-2009, hamsatuk wrote:

The netgear modem does not see any ADSL signal at all
the Hvawei modem router gets a signal if connected at the socket where
the phone line enters the house but if it is connected to another
socket in the house the ADSL signal will not lock which it used to do.
The Netgear modem router is connected to the main socket but can not
log on to and does not see the ADSL signal. We have tried everything
and made numerous calls to talktalk who are not very helpful. Does
anybody have any suggestions as to what may be wrong and a solution to
help us solve these issues.

First step is to get to each routers control panel and get
sync/link speed, attenuation in dB downstream, SNR.
If it only sync's when connected to the master socket,
report those figures.
How far apart are the two friends with problems?
It may be that they are near neighbours on the same 200 pair
street underground cable back to the exchange, in which
case it may have water in it.
There may be a common factor between two friends with similar
problems, we need to rule out, or find, a common factor.
Once we have the control panel stats, diagnosis can begin.
It may be a long line problem, or a line fault, both will
show up in the control panel stats.
Any near neighbours with similar problems, or does next door,
get several Mbps downstream?
Old May 19th 09, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

"Ato_Zee" wrote in message

[...]

Also what exchange are you on?
Has it just gone over to adsl 2+
You can check at www.samknows.com

Old May 19th 09, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"hamsatuk" wrote in message
[...]

I'll focus on the one that works from the master socket.

I imagine this installation has multiple sockets with a
filter on each one. This is the way most self-install
ADSL is done as per the ISPs instructions but it is not
ideal, in fact I'll go further and say its plane wrong.

Three questions,
1) Is the master socket a modern NTE5, with the split
face-plate?

2) how are the extensions wired to the master socket,
are they hard-wired into the socket, or extension cables and adapters

3) is it practical to locate the router permanently at the master socket
(probably is if everything is wireless and there is a power socket near)

You only need a single filter in your installation.

The neatest way to achieve this is with a filtered faceplate like this.
http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/ADSL_Installation.html

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 19th 09, 09:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron Gibbs

"hamsatuk" wrote in message
[...]

You can get really good support and help from
www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/ . I never call the TT help lines (which are
notoriously useless), and I've always resolved any problems this way,
usually very quickly.

Old May 21st 09, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hamsatuk

On Mon, 18 May 2009 22:23:57 +0100, hamsatuk
wrote:

[...]

Hi to everyone who replied to me email for help thanks. The problem is
now sorted, it was due to TalkTalk who for what ever reason suddenly
started transmitting a low signal to both of my friends. all of sudden
on Thursday morning their signal level increased and their connection
returned, well done TalkTalk !!!!!!!!! I think not.
Thanks again
Tony