Broadband Speed check

Old May 22nd 09, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Broadband Speed check

Can someone please tell me where I can get an program or Application
which will enable me to accurtaely check what my broadband speed is?
Old May 22nd 09, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

wrote in message
Can someone please tell me where I can get an program or Application
which will enable me to accurtaely check what my broadband speed is?

A good start would be the website at http://www.speedtest.net/

There isn't really such a thing as an accurate speed check, it's like asking
exactly how fast your car can go, it depends on the other traffic at the
time in the particular area you happen to be at the time.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old May 22nd 09, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

There isn't really such a thing as an accurate speed check, it's like
asking
exactly how fast your car can go, it depends on the other traffic at the
time in the particular area you happen to be at the time.

Best test I've found is to put a 1MB (or so) wallpaper file in your
free webspace, and time its FTP download, against a stopwatch,
at various times of day, it varies with the load on your ISP.
It tests how fast a file in your ISP's network can be delivered
to you, or to put it another way, how well your ISP can fill
the pipe.
Once you go outside your ISP's domain, to a speed checker,
you are at the mercy of the slowest link in the chain between
you and the speedchecker, and whether the speed checkers
bandwidth is adequate.
Old May 22nd 09, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Ato_Zee" wrote in message

There isn't really such a thing as an accurate speed check, it's like
asking
exactly how fast your car can go, it depends on the other traffic at the
time in the particular area you happen to be at the time.

Best test I've found is to put a 1MB (or so) wallpaper file in your
free webspace, and time its FTP download, against a stopwatch,
at various times of day, it varies with the load on your ISP.
It tests how fast a file in your ISP's network can be delivered
to you, or to put it another way, how well your ISP can fill
the pipe.
Once you go outside your ISP's domain, to a speed checker,
you are at the mercy of the slowest link in the chain between
you and the speedchecker, and whether the speed checkers
bandwidth is adequate.

Your ISP should be paying for good connections to all parts of the world,
those that don't, and claim it's out of their control are lying.

Old May 22nd 09, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
"Ato_Zee" wrote in message
[...]

That's simply not true. Find me any ISP with a 20Mbps connection to
Outer Mongolia.

Old May 22nd 09, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
"Ato_Zee" wrote in message
[...]

Okay so I didn't explain it perfectly, however you obviously knew what I
meant.

Old May 23rd 09, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On 22/05/09 23:11, Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
Natural Philosopher wrote
That's simply not true. Find me any ISP with a 20Mbps connection to Outer
Mongolia.

Okay so I didn't explain it perfectly, however you obviously knew what I
meant.

What it /looked/ like you meant is that you thought your ISP should be
expected to buy high-speed connections to all parts of the world.

As I guess you know, thats not how the internet works. Your ISP at best
can buy good connections to your country backbone. Once you go off that
backbone its the /other/ end's ISP that is the problem.
Old May 23rd 09, 07:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Mark McIntyre wrote:
On 22/05/09 23:11, Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
Natural Philosopher wrote
That's simply not true. Find me any ISP with a 20Mbps connection to
Outer
Mongolia.

Okay so I didn't explain it perfectly, however you obviously knew what I
meant.

What it /looked/ like you meant is that you thought your ISP should be
expected to buy high-speed connections to all parts of the world.

As I guess you know, thats not how the internet works. Your ISP at best
can buy good connections to your country backbone. Once you go off that
backbone its the /other/ end's ISP that is the problem.

No., at best your ISP is *part* of the country backbone and may own its
own international links,

And if its big enough other people pay IT for transit, and it merely
'peers' with other big players.
Old May 23rd 09, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk is the one I tend to use the most