Fiber to the (premises | home | building) in London?

Old May 23rd 09, 04:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bob

Default Fiber to the (premises | home | building) in London?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_x

I've heard bad things about Virgin but who else is there?

I'd like a symmetric connection faster than 10Mbps, 2 or 3 IP addresses,
preferably static, other normal stuff like email and hosting's not so
important as I can probably do that myself.

I'm probably after a business connection, who do you all recommend.

Thanks.
Old May 23rd 09, 07:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

bob wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_x

I've heard bad things about Virgin but who else is there?

I'd like a symmetric connection faster than 10Mbps, 2 or 3 IP addresses,
preferably static, other normal stuff like email and hosting's not so
important as I can probably do that myself.

I'm probably after a business connection, who do you all recommend.

What costs ios getti8n the fibre in. The rets is just like any other ISP.

I think for actual fibre there are about three operators in London.
BT of course, used to be Metronet and cable and wireless I think. But
this knowledge is many years old.

Try a decent technical IPSP like Claranet, IDNET and the like for advice.

Thanks.

Old May 23rd 09, 08:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

bob wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_x

I've heard bad things about Virgin but who else is there?

I'd like a symmetric connection faster than 10Mbps,

How deep are your pockets?

http://aa.nu/ethernet.html
Old May 23rd 09, 08:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The dog from that film you saw

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
bob wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_x

I've heard bad things about Virgin but who else is there?

I'd like a symmetric connection faster than 10Mbps,

How deep are your pockets?

http://aa.nu/ethernet.html

it actually quotes for my oxfordshire postcode - albeit at about 30 grand a
year for what i'd want - wonder if they could really do it ?

--
Gareth.

that fly...... is your magic wand....

Old May 23rd 09, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

The dog from that film you saw wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
bob wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_x

I've heard bad things about Virgin but who else is there?

I'd like a symmetric connection faster than 10Mbps,

How deep are your pockets?

http://aa.nu/ethernet.html

it actually quotes for my oxfordshire postcode - albeit at about 30
grand a year for what i'd want - wonder if they could really do it ?

Of course they can.

I'd say in london a symmetric 10Mbps would about 12-15k annual. For zero
contention. Essentially its a high speed link to an ISPs boundary router
with your very own interface on it.And a router of some expense in your
premises as well.

I believe that 'ethernet' style connections are also available.

Have a look here..

http://www.uk.clara.net/networks/lea...e-and-ethernet

Any big ISP can do this, but these tend not to be that 'off the shelf'
products really..

They can quantify the cost at their end, but fibre to your premises
depends very largely in who, if anyone, goes 'past your door'

If no one does, you have to use BT., and they charge installation, and
generally a per kilometre fee from the nearest fibre hub.

As long as you accept that you are unlikely to get away with less than
10k annually, its all very doable.
Old May 23rd 09, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

I've heard bad things about Virgin but who else is there?

I'd like a symmetric connection faster than 10Mbps, 2 or 3 IP addresses,
preferably static, other normal stuff like email and hosting's not so
important as I can probably do that myself.

I'm probably after a business connection, who do you all recommend.

When buying dedicated fibre connections there is only limited
choice, that is whoever has fibre in the locality.
In certain locations you can play one against another, BT,
C&W, Telewest/Virgin.
You will need a deep pocket.
A fibre termination rack, plus modem, plus battery backup
in base of rack doesn't come cheap. Think 10k.
If it's a substantial business with a 6 or 7 figure annual
comms spend, like a call centre, online gaming, etc
a microwave dish might be provided as an alternative
to fibre.
The 2 or 3 static IP addresses might be a problem.
For a small business and only 10Mbps Virgin might
be the only affordable offer.
Old May 23rd 09, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

"Andy Burns" wrote:

How deep are your pockets?
http://aa.nu/ethernet.html

it actually quotes for my oxfordshire postcode - albeit at about 30
grand a year for what i'd want - wonder if they could really do it ?

Yes, BT will install fibre to anywhere, subject to what they call
"excess construction costs" then A&A will provide Internet connection
over it.
Old May 23rd 09, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Ato_Zee wrote:

The 2 or 3 static IP addresses might be a problem.

Err why? Meet RIPE's conditions to justify why you need them and any ISP
will provide them (with some ISPs they are FoC, some charge per month,
other make a one-off charge to set them up).
Old May 23rd 09, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paulg0

"bob" wrote in message
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_x

I've heard bad things about Virgin but who else is there?

I'd like a symmetric connection faster than 10Mbps, 2 or 3 IP addresses,
preferably static, other normal stuff like email and hosting's not so
important as I can probably do that myself.

I'm probably after a business connection, who do you all recommend.

Thanks.

Depending on where in London you are you may be able to get service from:

www.urbanwimax.co.uk or fibre from www.edgetelecom.co.uk

Paul

Old May 23rd 09, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Ato_Zee wrote:
I've heard bad things about Virgin but who else is there?

I'd like a symmetric connection faster than 10Mbps, 2 or 3 IP addresses,
preferably static, other normal stuff like email and hosting's not so
important as I can probably do that myself.

I'm probably after a business connection, who do you all recommend.

When buying dedicated fibre connections there is only limited
choice, that is whoever has fibre in the locality.
In certain locations you can play one against another, BT,
C&W, Telewest/Virgin.
You will need a deep pocket.
A fibre termination rack, plus modem, plus battery backup
in base of rack doesn't come cheap. Think 10k.
If it's a substantial business with a 6 or 7 figure annual
comms spend, like a call centre, online gaming, etc
a microwave dish might be provided as an alternative
to fibre.

Er no. BT will guarantee a service: How they deliver it is simply down
to their cost accounting.