'Disable' broadband

Old May 23rd 09, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
LP

Default 'Disable' broadband

Could someone please tell me what settings to
change in the router to make the router appear to
be working okay (all the indicator lights stay on)
but actually disable connectivity?

Nothing sinister; my partners son is misbehaving
and I don't want him to blame his mum for
disconnecting the broadband.
Old May 23rd 09, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

Could someone please tell me what settings to
change in the router to make the router appear to
be working okay (all the indicator lights stay on)
but actually disable connectivity?

You don't say what router. When available it should
be in the routers control panel.
If he has access to the routers logon/password
he can change it back.
If it is a wireless connection, turn off wireless,
or change the key.
If it is CAT5 then pull the RJ45 but he
would probably soon twig that.
Old May 23rd 09, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

LP brought next idea :
Could someone please tell me what settings to change in the router to make
the router appear to be working okay (all the indicator lights stay on) but
actually disable connectivity?

Nothing sinister; my partners son is misbehaving and I don't want him to
blame his mum for disconnecting the broadband.

Change the DNS server addresses to some random, non existant IP.
Wouldn't prevent him from putting alternatives in his PC though...

The router itself may offer Family controls...what make/model is it?

Old May 23rd 09, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

LP wrote:
Could someone please tell me what settings to change in the router to
make the router appear to be working okay (all the indicator lights stay
on) but actually disable connectivity?

Hmm. An interesting problem.

PROBABLY firewall his PC out..there are other ways. Many routers have
timers that will allow access only at certain times of the day..

Old May 23rd 09, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"LP" wrote in message
Could someone please tell me what settings to change in the router to make
the router appear to be working okay (all the indicator lights stay on)
but actually disable connectivity?

Nothing sinister; my partners son is misbehaving and I don't want him to
blame his mum for disconnecting the broadband.

Point the proxy-server setting to his ISPs status page or other similarly
boring web-page.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 23rd 09, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

Nothing sinister; my partners son is misbehaving and I don't want him to
blame his mum for disconnecting the broadband.

You don't say what age, but any computer savvy youngster will soon
deduce what's disabling the connection, perhaps with a little
help from his friends.
You don't say if the routers control panel has a disable connection
setting, or whether you can set a password to the router config.
With most you can.
Protecting router settings with a password is a common
security feature since many are used where there is no
control over the users of the PC, in libraries,
student areas, etc.
My router lets you turn wireless on/off, set the
access key, protect its settings with a password
etc.
To knacker the connection I could change several other
things, like ISP's login, DHCP, DNS, settings etc, then
unless you have the password to reset them, you are
shafted. In most cases the lights look normal.
So turn off wireless, set a router password, and
knacker the settings so it will see carrier, flash its
lights, and won't connect until someone with the
password restores the settings.
Of course if he gets to the settings first and sets
a password, you are shafted.
That said a paper clip reset will probably clear
everything and he can reset the config himself,
unless you put the router under lock and key.
Old May 24th 09, 08:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Nothing sinister; my partners son is misbehaving
and I don't want him to blame his mum for
disconnecting the broadband.

If it's just website "misbehaving", and depending on his age, try
using the free filter offered by http://www.k9webprotection.com - it
has a timer facility and will stop most "web based" activity unless he
uses a linux boot disc :-)
Old May 24th 09, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Could someone please tell me what settings to change in the router to make
the router appear to be working okay (all the indicator lights stay on)
but actually disable connectivity?

Nothing sinister; my partners son is misbehaving and I don't want him to
blame his mum for disconnecting the broadband.

That would only be shoving the problem under the carpet. She needs to
address the underlying problem.

Peter Crosland

Old May 24th 09, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
.. .
Could someone please tell me what settings to change in the router to
make the router appear to be working okay (all the indicator lights stay
on) but actually disable connectivity?

Nothing sinister; my partners son is misbehaving and I don't want him to
blame his mum for disconnecting the broadband.

That would only be shoving the problem under the carpet. She needs to
address the underlying problem.

Peter Crosland

Oh do shut up! Or is this something you can't run to Google with and
cut and paste the answers passing them off as your own?

Old May 24th 09, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Clive wrote:
Oh do shut up! Or is this something you can't run to Google with and
cut and paste the answers passing them off as your own?

I've not known Peter Crosland pass off other people's answers as his
own. Speaking as a parent, his comment seems pretty reasonable to me.

Or perhaps you know something we don't?

Chris