little help to create a network with Voip in different cities

Old May 24th 09, 08:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
robert

Default little help to create a network with Voip in different cities

I have to create a VOIP network between three offices, each located in
a different city. In each office there are 12 users.
When a customer calls, a PBX should answer automatically then transfer
the call according to the number chosen by the customer (Ex: 1 for
John, 2 for Mike...). I also need the interns to be able to
communicate among each others within the same building or with the
intern in the other city.

Is it possible to create this system?

How?

Old May 24th 09, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
robert wrote:
I have to create a VOIP network between three offices, each located in
a different city. In each office there are 12 users.
When a customer calls, a PBX should answer automatically then transfer
the call according to the number chosen by the customer (Ex: 1 for
John, 2 for Mike...). I also need the interns to be able to
communicate among each others within the same building or with the
intern in the other city.

Is it possible to create this system?

Yes.

How?

Two main choices - one buy a system ready made which does what you need
(or can be customied at install time), or build it yourself.

If going down the home build route then look for asterisk and it's
derivatives - eg. trixbox, pbxinaflash and others although I'm not sure
how easy it might to be modify those to your need. Asterisk runs on a
PC under Linux, and is itself hugely customisable - the free front-ends
may not offer the flexability they need though, so best to check first.

Things to consider - what (if any) PSTN connections do you have at each
site? Asterisk can handle these easily with appropriate interface cards,
and the anticipated number of concurrent calls between each site - this
will be tied to the bandwidth avalable. A good quality ISP at each site
is essentail too.

Gordon
Old May 24th 09, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
robert

On May 24, 1:03*am, Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,

CUT

How?

Two main choices - one buy a system ready made which does what you need
(or can be customied at install time), or build it yourself.

CUT

Gordon

Hi Gordon,
thanks for your help.

Is there any hardware that i can use instead of keeping a PC on 24/7?
Old May 24th 09, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

,

CUT

How?

Two main choices - one buy a system ready made which does what you need
(or can be customied at install time), or build it yourself.

CUT

Gordon

Hi Gordon,
thanks for your help.

Is there any hardware that i can use instead of keeping a PC on 24/7?

Not really. Most software PBXs (Asterisk, 3CX, others?) all need a PC
to run.

You can get very low-power PCs though - my standard PC based PBX platform
consumes 15 watts, (it's not a standard PC though, but a low-power
"industrial" type, fanless and diskless, and I'm currently evaluating
a new platform which only needs a meagre 5 watts when running flat-out!

http://unicorn.drogon.net/stuff/power.jpg

So if you know what you're doing on the PC side, there are power savings
to be made.

Desk phones are going to suck from 3 to 5 watts too, depending on model.

Actually, there is a third option I didn't mention - use a virtual
or hosted PBX system. Just have the phones in each site, all part of
one big virtual VoIP based PBX. No (easy) way to interface to existing
PSTN lines though, and your broadband connections really do need to be
top-notch. Maybe less features than having your own PBXs in each location
though, depending on who's virtual service you use.

Gordon
Old May 25th 09, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

CUT

How?

Two main choices - one buy a system ready made which does what you need
(or can be customied at install time), or build it yourself.

CUT

Gordon

Hi Gordon,
thanks for your help.

Is there any hardware that i can use instead of keeping a PC on 24/7?

Don't think about it as a PC, think about it as you would any phone
system.
I ran an "Asterisk at Home" box for a year it just sat in the corner with
no monitor, keyboard or mouse connected because all administration
is done remotely via its web interface, and occasionally via an SSH
client if one needs to get to its command-line console.
In my case I did stop using it because I couldn't really justify the running
cost, but I was only using it for fun, and a self-training aid.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 25th 09, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

robert schreef:
I have to create a VOIP network between three offices, each located in
a different city. In each office there are 12 users.
When a customer calls, a PBX should answer automatically then transfer
the call according to the number chosen by the customer (Ex: 1 for
John, 2 for Mike...). I also need the interns to be able to
communicate among each others within the same building or with the
intern in the other city.

Is it possible to create this system?

How?

Looks like a job for MySipSwitch !

For free, and easy to program via Ruby dialplan, (see the site's forum)

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.

Old May 26th 09, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Hongtian

On 24 May, 14:03, robert wrote:
I have to create a VOIP network between three offices, each located in
a different city. In each office there are 12 users.
When a customer calls, a PBX should answer automatically then transfer
the call according to the number chosen by the customer (Ex: 1 for
John, 2 for Mike...). I also need the interns to be able to
communicate among each others within the same building or with the
intern in the other city.

Is it possible to create this system?

How?

In your offices, there are some windows system, right? I would like to
suggest miniSipServer which is a IPPBX for windows.

I think it is very easy to establish a VOIP network with
miniSipServer. And in its official website, there is a simple document
to guide you how to setup IPPBX step by step.

Please visit http://www.myvoipapp.com for details.

Hope it can help you and good luck.
Old May 26th 09, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

Hongtian wrote:
On 24 May, 14:03, robert wrote:
I have to create a VOIP network between three offices, each located in
a different city. In each office there are 12 users.
When a customer calls, a PBX should answer automatically then transfer
the call according to the number chosen by the customer (Ex: 1 for
John, 2 for Mike...). I also need the interns to be able to
communicate among each others within the same building or with the
intern in the other city.

Is it possible to create this system?

How?

In your offices, there are some windows system, right? I would like to
suggest miniSipServer which is a IPPBX for windows.

Windows based PBX? shudder

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Microsoft person and run many, many servers
but I would never run a PBX on a windows platform. I run my business PBX
on a linux box running Asterisk. That's all it does, and that's all it
will ever be asked to do so reliability has matched that of a commercial PBX

[[email protected] ~]# uptime
17:55:05 up 350 days, 6:53, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Old May 26th 09, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Desk Rabbit wrote:
Hongtian wrote:
On 24 May, 14:03, robert wrote:
I have to create a VOIP network between three offices, each located in
a different city. In each office there are 12 users.
When a customer calls, a PBX should answer automatically then transfer
the call according to the number chosen by the customer (Ex: 1 for
John, 2 for Mike...). I also need the interns to be able to
communicate among each others within the same building or with the
intern in the other city.

Is it possible to create this system?

How?

In your offices, there are some windows system, right? I would like to
suggest miniSipServer which is a IPPBX for windows.

Windows based PBX? shudder

I know. Strange but true.

The 3CX people are really bashing the Linux prople too -

http://www.3cx.com/news/softswitch-advantages.html

worrying.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Microsoft person and run many, many servers
but I would never run a PBX on a windows platform. I run my business PBX
on a linux box running Asterisk. That's all it does, and that's all it
will ever be asked to do so reliability has matched that of a commercial PBX

You're lucky - I've experienced corp-ratism at it's worst. If it's not
Microsoft, it's not going through the door..

[[email protected] ~]# uptime
17:55:05 up 350 days, 6:53, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Not a PBX, but:

22:06:19 up 1315 days, 8:08, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

;-)

Gordon