Best router?

Old May 27th 09, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bornfree

Default Best router?

Hi

Intelligent input needed

My trusty Netgear DG834G is starting to become unreliable with old
age. I live in a 1 bedroom flat (read: small) and need a router with a
built in modem and wireless G.

What are the most reliable routers at the moment?
Old May 27th 09, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"bornfree" wrote in message
Hi

Intelligent input needed

My trusty Netgear DG834G is starting to become unreliable with
old
age. I live in a 1 bedroom flat (read: small) and need a router
with a
built in modem and wireless G.

What are the most reliable routers at the moment?

Why should a piece of modern solid-state electronics become
unreliable with age. It it was valave-powered I could agree, but
solid state, no. What is more the 834G is only a 2-3 year old
design - any modern kit should be good for two or three times
that at least.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old May 27th 09, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Woody" wrote in message
"bornfree" wrote in message
Hi
Intelligent input needed
My trusty Netgear DG834G is starting to become unreliable with old
age. I live in a 1 bedroom flat (read: small) and need a router with a
built in modem and wireless G.
What are the most reliable routers at the moment?

Why should a piece of modern solid-state electronics become unreliable
with age. It it was valave-powered I could agree, but solid state, no.
What is more the 834G is only a 2-3 year old design - any modern kit
should be good for two or three times that at least.
Woody

Sub and micro miniature electrolytic capacitors have been found
to have a limited life, sometimes less than 5 years

Especially non Japanese's manufactured ones which were based on
the industrial espionage of Japanese electrolyte technology
Only they got the formulas imperfect, and they degrade, leak, or dry out.

Ironically sometimes leading to having a shorter life than a thermionic
valve!

Leading to problems like this (which does use good Japanese caps)

http://www.mods.dk/view.php?ArticleId=3669
http://www.mods.dk/view.php?ArticleId=4118

So unless you fancy fault finding and soldering in new caps?
Don't expect your equipment to have a long life

Steve Terry

Old May 27th 09, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Steve Terry wrote:

Ironically sometimes leading to having a shorter life than a thermionic
valve!

Perhaps these OpenWRT/dgteam sorts should take the idea one step further,
and produce a mod kit for routers that adds a few valves here and there, and
some nice wooden knobs on the front. I wonder if it'll make internet radio
sound a bit warmer and less clinical?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:21:42 up 20 days, 23:33, 1 user, load average: 0.13, 0.13, 0.09

Old May 27th 09, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"alexd" wrote in message
Steve Terry wrote:

Ironically sometimes leading to having a shorter life than a thermionic
valve!

Perhaps these OpenWRT/dgteam sorts should take the idea one step further,
and produce a mod kit for routers that adds a few valves here and there,
and
some nice wooden knobs on the front. I wonder if it'll make internet radio
sound a bit warmer and less clinical?

Good idea, it would boost the PC servicing industry, the 3 million
unemployed
could be retrained to replace valves in PCs, and carpenters could hand carve
knobs

Steve Terry

Old May 28th 09, 01:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Woody wrote:
"bornfree" wrote in message
Hi

Intelligent input needed

My trusty Netgear DG834G is starting to become unreliable with
old
age. I live in a 1 bedroom flat (read: small) and need a router
with a
built in modem and wireless G.

What are the most reliable routers at the moment?

Why should a piece of modern solid-state electronics become
unreliable with age.

capacitors drying out.

Too many heat cycles on the power chips.

Heat cycling on the solder joints cracking them...
Old May 28th 09, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheOldFellow

On Wed, 27 May 2009 19:50:15 +0100
"Woody" wrote:

"bornfree" wrote in message
Hi

Intelligent input needed

My trusty Netgear DG834G is starting to become unreliable with
old
age. I live in a 1 bedroom flat (read: small) and need a router
with a
built in modem and wireless G.

What are the most reliable routers at the moment?

Why should a piece of modern solid-state electronics become
unreliable with age. It it was valave-powered I could agree, but
solid state, no. What is more the 834G is only a 2-3 year old
design - any modern kit should be good for two or three times
that at least.

I am still using a Palm Pilot bought in about 1995. It's been dropped,
washed, and had various other adventures. I assume it predates the
Chinese Capacitors. My Nokia 7210 mobile phone is still working fine
too - I only use it for phone calls - and it fits the full car kit in
the 9 year old car.

If an expensive router like a DG834 fails - other than for wear on the
connectors and not traceable to external damage by, say, a mains spike -
after less than 6 years, the dealer should expect a court case over it's
suitability for the purpose intended.

Are you sure it's the router and not Bunkum Telecom's bits of bent
copper that are getting unreliable with old age?

R.

Old May 28th 09, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

Are you sure it's the router and not Bunkum Telecom's bits of bent
copper that are getting unreliable with old age?

Weather is warming up, sure it is not full of dust?
Play a fan on it and see if it gets more reliable.
Capacitors also work a bit better at lower temps.
Does the control panel give any clues as to the
cause of the problem?
Like high SNR or noise bursts from the farrier
down the lane using his stick welder on farm
machinery, in a marginal village at the best of times?
Old June 4th 09, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bornfree

"Woody" wrote:
"bornfree" wrote in message
[...]

Turns out the router was fine. I actually ordered a new router - the
same model and the problem persisted.

I called my isp and they have changed my noise buffer from 6dB to 9dB
Old June 5th 09, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

"Woody" wrote:
"bornfree" wrote in message
[...]

Strange. If your line was unreliable I would expect your SNR margin
to be increased automatically.

--
(\__/) M.