A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) (uk.comp.home-networking) Discussion of all aspects of computer networking in the home, regardless of the platforms, software, topologies and protocols used. Examples of topics include recommendations for hardware or suppliers (e.g. NICs and cabling), protocols, servers, and specific network software. Advertising is not allowed.

Any easy way to expand my network coverage?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 28th 09, 01:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Wagg
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default Any easy way to expand my network coverage?

I have a mini home network, stretches far enough for what I originally
needed, now want to get some connection down in my garage, only its a
good 50 feet away from where the laptop picks up enough signal (just
the normal router I have had for years) to work well enough on the
internet.

I cant run a wire, it isnt possible, but I wondered if there was
anything I could do to extend my couverage. Is there such a thing and
is it simple (and not hugely expensive!)?

TIA

-Ben
  #2  
Old May 28th 09, 02:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,379
Default Any easy way to expand my network coverage?

On Wed, 27 May 2009 17:39:47 -0700 (PDT)
Wagg wrote:

I have a mini home network, stretches far enough for what I originally
needed, now want to get some connection down in my garage, only its a
good 50 feet away from where the laptop picks up enough signal (just
the normal router I have had for years) to work well enough on the
internet.

I cant run a wire, it isnt possible, but I wondered if there was
anything I could do to extend my couverage. Is there such a thing and
is it simple (and not hugely expensive!)?

I don't know what kit you have to hand, or how creative you feel, but
you could try the old Pringles can directional antennae trick (or
variations thereon).

  #3  
Old May 28th 09, 07:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Whelan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 89
Default Any easy way to expand my network coverage?

On Wed, 27 May 2009 17:39:47 -0700, Wagg wrote:

I have a mini home network, stretches far enough for what I originally
needed, now want to get some connection down in my garage, only its a
good 50 feet away from where the laptop picks up enough signal (just the
normal router I have had for years) to work well enough on the internet.

I cant run a wire, it isnt possible, but I wondered if there was
anything I could do to extend my couverage. Is there such a thing and is
it simple (and not hugely expensive!)?

TIA

-Ben


Do you have a mains power supply to the garage?

http://www.powerlinenetwork.co.uk/

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
  #4  
Old May 28th 09, 07:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alan P
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default Any easy way to expand my network coverage?

Rob Morley was thinking very hard :
On Wed, 27 May 2009 17:39:47 -0700 (PDT)
Wagg wrote:

I have a mini home network, stretches far enough for what I originally
needed, now want to get some connection down in my garage, only its a
good 50 feet away from where the laptop picks up enough signal (just
the normal router I have had for years) to work well enough on the
internet.

I cant run a wire, it isnt possible, but I wondered if there was
anything I could do to extend my couverage. Is there such a thing and
is it simple (and not hugely expensive!)?

I don't know what kit you have to hand, or how creative you feel, but
you could try the old Pringles can directional antennae trick (or
variations thereon).


Links for "cantenna" :-

http://www.educypedia.be/electronics...nacantenna.htm

http://flakey.info/antenna/waveguide/

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

http://www.saunalahti.fi/elepal/antenna2calc.php


  #5  
Old May 28th 09, 11:11 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Wagg
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default Any easy way to expand my network coverage?

On May 28, 7:47*am, Chris Whelan
wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2009 17:39:47 -0700, Wagg wrote:
I have a mini home network, stretches far enough for what I originally
needed, now want to get some connection down in my garage, only its a
good 50 feet away from where the laptop picks up enough signal (just the
normal router I have had for years) to work well enough on the internet..


I cant run a wire, it isnt possible, but I wondered if there was
anything I could do to extend my couverage. Is there such a thing and is
it simple (and not hugely expensive!)?


TIA


-Ben


Do you have a mains power supply to the garage?

http://www.powerlinenetwork.co.uk/

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.


Hi Chris,

I have power, but its on a completely different circuit or something.
Tried those as a friend uses them, but its like there is nothing
there.

-Ben
  #6  
Old May 28th 09, 11:13 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Wagg
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default Any easy way to expand my network coverage?

On May 28, 7:55*am, Alan P wrote:
Rob Morley was thinking very hard :





On Wed, 27 May 2009 17:39:47 -0700 (PDT)
Wagg wrote:


I have a mini home network, stretches far enough for what I originally
needed, now want to get some connection down in my garage, only its a
good 50 feet away from where the laptop picks up enough signal (just
the normal router I have had for years) to work well enough on the
internet.


I cant run a wire, it isnt possible, but I wondered if there was
anything I could do to extend my couverage. Is there such a thing and
is it simple (and not hugely expensive!)?


I don't know what kit you have to hand, or how creative you feel, but
you could try the old Pringles can directional antennae trick (or
variations thereon).


Links for "cantenna" :-

*http://www.educypedia.be/electronics...nacantenna.htm

*http://flakey.info/antenna/waveguide/

*http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

*http://www.saunalahti.fi/elepal/antenna2calc.php- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


Ehrm, rather than making something, is there anything I can buy? I've
already tried one of those N routers (just now in fact) and it extends
downstairs by about 20 feet, so still 30 feet to go! I dont think I
have the patience to make something like that!

-Ben
  #7  
Old May 28th 09, 11:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Whelan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 89
Default Any easy way to expand my network coverage?

On Thu, 28 May 2009 03:11:11 -0700, Wagg wrote:

On May 28, 7:47*am, Chris Whelan wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2009 17:39:47 -0700, Wagg wrote:
I have a mini home network, stretches far enough for what I
originally needed, now want to get some connection down in my garage,
only its a good 50 feet away from where the laptop picks up enough
signal (just the normal router I have had for years) to work well
enough on the internet.


I cant run a wire, it isnt possible, but I wondered if there was
anything I could do to extend my couverage. Is there such a thing and
is it simple (and not hugely expensive!)?


TIA


-Ben


Do you have a mains power supply to the garage?

http://www.powerlinenetwork.co.uk/

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.


Hi Chris,

I have power, but its on a completely different circuit or something.
Tried those as a friend uses them, but its like there is nothing there.

-Ben


Power line networking would still be your best option.

If you don't understand why you are unable to use that method in your
current situation, do you know an electrician who could advise you? It
might be that a small change to your wiring could make them usable.

Chris


--
Remove prejudice to reply.
  #8  
Old May 28th 09, 06:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Any easy way to expand my network coverage?

"Wagg" wrote in message ...
I have a mini home network, stretches far enough for what I originally
needed, now want to get some connection down in my garage, only its a
good 50 feet away from where the laptop picks up enough signal (just
the normal router I have had for years) to work well enough on the
internet.

I cant run a wire, it isnt possible, but I wondered if there was
anything I could do to extend my couverage. Is there such a thing and
is it simple (and not hugely expensive!)?


How far from the side of the house nearest the garage is your router?
You could have an extra access point at that side of the house to give you extra coverage , or if you have mains in the garage then some homeplugs might be an option.
Failing that it's not too far to run a long network cable to the garage....

--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger , then I hide until it goes away"
  #9  
Old May 28th 09, 06:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 48
Default Any easy way to expand my network coverage?

Chris Whelan wrote:
On Thu, 28 May 2009 03:11:11 -0700, Wagg wrote:

On May 28, 7:47 am, Chris Whelan wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2009 17:39:47 -0700, Wagg wrote:
I have a mini home network, stretches far enough for what I
originally needed, now want to get some connection down in my garage,
only its a good 50 feet away from where the laptop picks up enough
signal (just the normal router I have had for years) to work well
enough on the internet.
I cant run a wire, it isnt possible, but I wondered if there was
anything I could do to extend my couverage. Is there such a thing and
is it simple (and not hugely expensive!)?
TIA
-Ben
Do you have a mains power supply to the garage?

http://www.powerlinenetwork.co.uk/

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Hi Chris,

I have power, but its on a completely different circuit or something.
Tried those as a friend uses them, but its like there is nothing there.

-Ben


Power line networking would still be your best option.

If you don't understand why you are unable to use that method in your
current situation, do you know an electrician who could advise you? It
might be that a small change to your wiring could make them usable.

Chris


If Homeplugs dont work I would look at relocating your wireless router
location to overlook the garage .
(Mine goes through two 3 foot stone walls, slate roof and 30m of air !)
You can use a homeplug with an wireless access point to extend the
network range if you cant move the actual router to a better location.
  #10  
Old May 28th 09, 07:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 342
Default Any easy way to expand my network coverage?

"robert" wrote in message
...
Chris Whelan wrote:
On Thu, 28 May 2009 03:11:11 -0700, Wagg wrote:

On May 28, 7:47 am, Chris Whelan wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2009 17:39:47 -0700, Wagg wrote:
I have a mini home network, stretches far enough for what I
originally needed, now want to get some connection down in my garage,
only its a good 50 feet away from where the laptop picks up enough
signal (just the normal router I have had for years) to work well
enough on the internet.
I cant run a wire, it isnt possible, but I wondered if there was
anything I could do to extend my couverage. Is there such a thing and
is it simple (and not hugely expensive!)?
TIA
-Ben
Do you have a mains power supply to the garage?

http://www.powerlinenetwork.co.uk/

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Hi Chris,

I have power, but its on a completely different circuit or something.
Tried those as a friend uses them, but its like there is nothing there.

-Ben


Power line networking would still be your best option.

If you don't understand why you are unable to use that method in your
current situation, do you know an electrician who could advise you? It
might be that a small change to your wiring could make them usable.

Chris


If Homeplugs dont work I would look at relocating your wireless router
location to overlook the garage .
(Mine goes through two 3 foot stone walls, slate roof and 30m of air !)
You can use a homeplug with an wireless access point to extend the network
range if you cant move the actual router to a better location.


If it's difficult to get an Ethernet cable or Homeplug link to a remote
access point, you could get a wireless access point that it capable of
acting in repeater mode. Place it in between the router and the garage where
it's still getting usable fringe reception and it will rebroadcast to cover
an area which (hopefully) will include the garage.

You'll need to set it to have a different SSID (network name) and a
non-conflicting wireless channel (eg different by at least 5 channels) to
the channel of the router. Make sure you get an AP that can handle WPA
encryption: a lot of the earlier Belkin ones could only repeat an
unencrypted network or one that is encrypted with WEP (which is almost the
same thing!).

 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommend 'Switch' to expand Netgear DG834PN [email protected] uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 11 October 24th 06 09:00 AM
Bulldog/UKOnline expand LLU coverage Sunil Sood uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 March 15th 05 02:44 AM
Video streaming across small home network - easy to do? Chunky uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 3 February 6th 05 09:10 AM
Bulldog expand LLU coverage Sunil Sood uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 December 6th 04 06:28 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.