My Sip Switch

Old May 28th 09, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
1506

Default My Sip Switch

Can anyone here share their experiences with My Sip Switch? Have they
been positive, or negative? What have been the pros and cons?

My first attempt to utilize this service failed because my ATA, a D-
Link DVG-2001S, would not register with an alpha numeric account
name. I deregistered, and set of a new account with a numeric
"name". I have yet to try to use the new account.

Also, does anyone know where I can find a tutorial, or find any help,
on My Sip Switches, number plan script language?

Thanks for advising

Adrian
Old May 28th 09, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve Hammond

I've tried asking about this before but no one helped I think all in
all Voip is more trouble than it's worth.

Old May 28th 09, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paulg0

"1506" wrote in message
Can anyone here share their experiences with My Sip Switch? Have they
been positive, or negative? What have been the pros and cons?

My first attempt to utilize this service failed because my ATA, a D-
Link DVG-2001S, would not register with an alpha numeric account
name. I deregistered, and set of a new account with a numeric
"name". I have yet to try to use the new account.

Also, does anyone know where I can find a tutorial, or find any help,
on My Sip Switches, number plan script language?

I moved over from Voxalot to mysipswitch about a month ago and it has been
very good (bar 1 outage for a few hours) The dial plans take a bit of
working out but once you get the hang of it you realise that the whole
system can be very flexible. There is also a dial plan wizard which helps
you set up your initial basic dial plan. Overall I would reccomend
mysipswitch as a free alternative to services like Voxalot......

Paul

Old May 28th 09, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
1506

On May 28, 11:05*am, "Paulg0" wrote:

[...]

Thank you. I will try to reconfigure my ATA this weekend. My Voip
providers are AQL and Sipgate.
Old May 28th 09, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

Can anyone here share their experiences with My Sip Switch? Have they
been positive, or negative? What have been the pros and cons?

My first attempt to utilize this service failed because my ATA, a D-
Link DVG-2001S, would not register with an alpha numeric account
name. I deregistered, and set of a new account with a numeric
"name". I have yet to try to use the new account.

Also, does anyone know where I can find a tutorial, or find any help,
on My Sip Switches, number plan script language?

Thanks for advising

Adrian

Odd that you can't get the ATA to register, I can't see why
a numeric user-name would make a difference.
Have you tried Voxalot, which is similaly popular?

Another service that I use is pbxes.com which has an Asterisk at
Home / Trixbox type interface.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 28th 09, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
1506

On May 28, 11:44*am, "Graham." wrote:
Can anyone here share their experiences with My Sip Switch? *Have they
been positive, or negative? *What have been the pros and cons?

My first attempt to utilize this service failed because my ATA, a D-
Link *DVG-2001S, would not register with an alpha numeric account
name. *I deregistered, and set of a new account with a numeric
"name". *I have yet to try to use the new account.

Also, does anyone know where I can find a tutorial, or find any help,
on My Sip Switches, number plan script language?

Thanks for advising

Adrian

Odd that you can't get the ATA to register, I can't see why
a numeric user-name would make a difference.

It is a feature of that particular ATA, the DVG-2001S.

Have you tried Voxalot, which is similaly popular?

No, I will check it out.

Another service that I use is pbxes.com which has an Asterisk at
Home / Trixbox type interface.

One thing I do not undersatand is: My Sip Switch purports to be a free
service. Apparently I can route my numbers to a PSTN number. What is
to stop anyone from creating a free gateway to their mobile number?
It makes little sense.

This weekend I will re-configure my ATA and run MSS's script wizard.
Old May 28th 09, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
1506 wrote:

One thing I do not undersatand is: My Sip Switch purports to be a free
service. Apparently I can route my numbers to a PSTN number. What is
to stop anyone from creating a free gateway to their mobile number?
It makes little sense.

I suspect you're mis-interperting the blurb...

These services allow you to have one SIP device, and register many SIP
services. You then select which SIP service you connect to by either
dialling a prefix, or having something a bit more intelligent in the
service choose the SIP service for you.

So if setup correctly, you phone a number and the service decides which
SIP service to use - so for mobiles, it might use one service, but for
landlines, another, US calls a third, and so on.

It's up to you to have these services programmed into the service and
to know which one you want to use for which calls.

I don't actually know what these services get out of it at all -
once you've got it set up, you don't need to visit their website, so
no advertising potential - however they do hold all your username and
passwords to all your SIP services... They could intercept the calls
and play adverts to you... Or rip you off, making calls on your behalf
(although they'd die the same hour if they tried that as people would
notice!)

If I had many SIP service to juggle, I'd get a multi-account device,
or run my own Asterisk server.. (now there's a thought ;-)

Gordon
Old May 28th 09, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Steve Hammond wrote:

I've tried asking about this before but no one helped I think all in
all Voip is more trouble than it's worth.

Why are you posting here then?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
23:16:03 up 22 days, 2:30, 1 user, load average: 0.14, 0.12, 0.09

Old May 28th 09, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
1506

On May 28, 1:00*pm, Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,

1506 wrote:
One thing I do not undersatand is: My Sip Switch purports to be a free
service. *Apparently I can route my numbers to a PSTN number. *What is
to stop anyone from creating a free gateway to their mobile number?
It makes little sense.

I suspect you're mis-interperting the blurb...

These services allow you to have one SIP device, and register many SIP
services. You then select which SIP service you connect to by either
dialling a prefix, or having something a bit more intelligent in the
service choose the SIP service for you.

So if setup correctly, you phone a number and the service decides which
SIP service to use - so for mobiles, it might use one service, but for
landlines, another, US calls a third, and so on.

OK, I think I get it. So, the service will dial out using one of my
accounts, and IT will bill me accordingly.

It's up to you to have these services programmed into the service and
to know which one you want to use for which calls.

Yup, the challenge of scripting. I did a little earlier. With a some
practice I can do this. :-)

I don't actually know what these services get out of it at all -
once you've got it set up, you don't need to visit their website, so
no advertising potential - however they do hold all your username and
passwords to all your SIP services... They could intercept the calls
and play adverts to you... Or rip you off, making calls on your behalf
(although they'd die the same hour if they tried that as people would
notice!)

Maybe it wil become a paying service. I am still trying to figure out
Google Voice's business plan!

If I had many SIP service to juggle, I'd get a multi-account device,
or run my own Asterisk server.. (now there's a thought ;-)

I have a Fritz!box. I bricked it when I tried to update the
firmware. Now I am using some D-Link DVG-2001S's. They are small
and simple. That works for me.

Thanks for your advice

Adrian

Old May 29th 09, 06:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Default Fritz firmware (was: My Sip Switch)

In ,
1506 typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:

[snip]

: I have a Fritz!box. I bricked it when I tried to update the
: firmware. Now I am using some D-Link DVG-2001S's. They are small
: and simple. That works for me.

Which Fritz!Box..? There is recovery software available which will allow
you to restore the box to a working state.

Ivor