Is this the best I can get from my line?

Old May 30th 09, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default Is this the best I can get from my line?

Is this as good as I can expect for my line given the stats? Thnx

Line checker
Exchange
Distance:- Direct: 3.49 km
(appx)* By Road: 5.31 km
Status
ADSL enabled : March 24, 2004
DSL Max enabled: March 31, 2006
SDSL enabled : Not Enabled
21CN due : (PSTN) No Info
21CN WBC (Broadband) RFS date 31.03.10
Broadband Accessâ€* Market 1

BT Line Speed Estimation

Fixed ADSL: 512 kbps (0.5 Mb)
DSL Max : 500 kbps (0.5 Mb)
21CN WBC : Not Available

Line Stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1728 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 63 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 5 db 9 db

BTw
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background
information.

Your DSL connection rate:
1728 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 1500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1311 kbps

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest
Speed Down 1337.49 Kbps ( 1.3 Mbps )
Speed Up 378.15 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )

Speedtester

Download Speed: 1377 kbps (172.1 KB/sec )
Upload Speed: 305 kbps (38.1 KB/sec )
Old May 30th 09, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Paul wrote:
Is this as good as I can expect for my line given the stats? Thnx

Line Stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1728 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 63 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 5 db 9 db

Your DSL connection rate:
1728 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 1500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1311 kbps

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest
Speed Down 1337.49 Kbps ( 1.3 Mbps )
Speed Up 378.15 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )

Speedtester

Download Speed: 1377 kbps (172.1 KB/sec )
Upload Speed: 305 kbps (38.1 KB/sec )

Yup. That's more or less your best bet. The lice checkers suggested 512K
max, but you're getting 3 times that... Enjoy it!

But do everything you can on the home-side to make sure you eek every
last ounce out of it. Fit an iPlate. Get the ADSL modem as close to the
master socket as possible, keep extensions to a minimum and so on.

Gordon
Old May 30th 09, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Paul wrote:
[...]

Sadly, and with respect, the largest source of poor speed on long lines
is the attenuation itself, and the massive pickup of trash on the line.

What you do locally is probably less and less important as the line
length increases.

Gordon

Old May 30th 09, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

On Sat, 30 May 2009 11:48:30 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
wrote:

In article ,
Paul wrote:
Is this as good as I can expect for my line given the stats? Thnx

Line Stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1728 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 63 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 5 db 9 db

Your DSL connection rate:
1728 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 1500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1311 kbps

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest
Speed Down 1337.49 Kbps ( 1.3 Mbps )
Speed Up 378.15 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )

Speedtester

Download Speed: 1377 kbps (172.1 KB/sec )
Upload Speed: 305 kbps (38.1 KB/sec )

Yup. That's more or less your best bet. The lice checkers suggested 512K
max, but you're getting 3 times that... Enjoy it!

That's as I thought. Thanks for confirming it. Not too bad actually
for general Internet use.

But do everything you can on the home-side to make sure you eek every
last ounce out of it. Fit an iPlate.

That sounds clever, and makes a change it's quite cheap too! Broadband
Buyer are doing them for a tenner delivered.

Get the ADSL modem as close to the
master socket as possible, keep extensions to a minimum and so on.

All done.

Let you know how I get on with iplate.

Thanks again.
Old May 30th 09, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
In article ,
Paul wrote:
[...]

Agreed.
I'm in pretty well the same boat as the OP and was previously
expecting/getting around 1 Meg.
I did all the above actions you mentioned, plus bought a new router and
phone filters, and my speed went up immediately to 2 Megs, and gradually
increased from then on.
Just checked my router stats
Down: 3648
Up: 448
SNR margin 5.4
Attenuation 54

It can be done!

George

Old May 30th 09, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Paul wrote:
[...]

I can obviously see that working on a line where you are getting less
than expected speeds, say on BTw tests etc. However, my expected speed
is about .5mb but I am actually getting much better than this anyway,
so I don't really expect that much from it. I do however have other
lines elsewhere I can also try the iplate on, so I am keen to check it
out.

Old May 30th 09, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

You are doing quite well considering the attenuation. What modem/router are
you using?

Peter Crosland

Old May 30th 09, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Weston

In article , "Gordon Henderson" wrote:

But do everything you can on the home-side to make sure you eek every
last ounce out of it. Fit an iPlate.

I wouldn't bother. Do it right and fit a good faceplate filter, such as
the ADSLnation one. It's an either/or choice, since they won't
physically fit together on the same master socket

With the faceplate filter you get the ADSL signal off the old, in-house,
telephony-only wires as soon as possible. You can plug the modem/router
directly into the faceplate filter (using as short a cable as possible,
since this can pick up noise...) and not have to bother with any plug-in
ADSL filters at any other socket. Any noise that would be picked up on
the house wiring is attenuated by the filter in the faceplate. This
means the Iplate isn't needed, since all it does is to reduce any
intererence picked up by the in-house "pin3" ring wire from getting
coupled back into the ADSL-carrying pair. It does nothing to prevent the
ADSL signal form going all over the house, next to fluorescents, boiler
thermostats and other noise generators. With the faceplate filter, the
ring signal isn't even created until after the ADSL signal is filterd
off from the speech pair. The ADSL signal goes nowhere near the noise
sources.

--
John W
I you really want to mail me, replace the obvious with co.uk twice
Old May 30th 09, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Yes - amazingly so, with no drop-outs at all since installing it. (The lack
of drop-outs has, in my view, contributed to the local BT Dslam gradually
reducing my SNR margin/increasing my throughput; I could be wrong here, of
course...)
The router/modem is a D-Link DSL-2640B.
It has wireless but I won't be using that side of it until/unless Mrs W buys
the laptop she's been threatening me with for the past year.

George

Old May 30th 09, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

On 30-May-2009, "George Weston" wrote:

The router/modem is a D-Link DSL-2640B.
It has wireless but I won't be using that side of it until/unless Mrs W
buys
the laptop she's been threatening me with for the past year.

Modem/routers vary in performance, if you can beg or borrow
another it is worth trying it for comparison.
My min was 2528 kbps, now 5728 kbps on same line,
changing the modem for a hacked 2700HGV and putting
it next to the NTE5 worked wonders.
However I did have to pull in CAT5 when I moved the
router next to the master socket.
I might be wrong but BT seems to favour the 2700HGV
and steadily ups the speed, whereas with other modem/
routers the speed and SNR are set more aggressivly.