Wireless Router doesn't "do" PPPoA

Old May 30th 09, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Another Dave

Default Wireless Router doesn't "do" PPPoA

I bought a Zoom AP+4 Router at a car boot sale (for 5, so no big deal).
When I tried to set it up, it doesn't seem to have an option for PPPoA
with User-id and password that my ISP requires. It seem only PPPoE has
the option to have a user-id and password and this is no good.

Am I missing something or have I been had?

Another Dave
Old May 30th 09, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Sat, 30 May 2009 20:10:17, Another Dave
wrote:

I bought a Zoom AP+4 Router at a car boot sale (for 5, so no big
deal). When I tried to set it up, it doesn't seem to have an option for
PPPoA with User-id and password that my ISP requires. It seem only
PPPoE has the option to have a user-id and password and this is no good.

Am I missing something or have I been had?

This sounds like a standard router+AP, not an ADSL modem/wireless
router. So it'll be fine for those on cable, or an intranet, but not
for ADSL. If you gave the model number this could be confirmed.

The Zoom ADSL modem/wireless routers I have in boxes here are model 5590
if that helps.

--
Jim Crowther
Old May 30th 09, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Another Dave" wrote in message
I bought a Zoom AP+4 Router at a car boot sale (for 5, so no big deal).
When I tried to set it up, it doesn't seem to have an option for PPPoA with
User-id and password that my ISP requires. It seem only PPPoE has the
option to have a user-id and password and this is no good.

Am I missing something or have I been had?

Another Dave

That's because it's an Ethernet router, I don't think
it's possible to use it for DSL.
Useful access point though, and you might be able to use
it's repeater function to extend the range of an existing W-LAN

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 30th 09, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Another Dave

Jim Crowther wrote:

This sounds like a standard router+AP, not an ADSL modem/wireless
router.

Yup. Thanks to you and Graham.

Another Dave
Old May 30th 09, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

So it'll be fine for those on cable, or an intranet, but not
for ADSL. If you gave the model number this could be confirmed.

Does it have an RJ11 ADSL line socket, or just RJ45's?
Google for the model number, if it only has RJ45's it is
possibly a cable modem.
Bit difficult to test functionality of a cable modem if
you are ADSL, most prefer a different IP address
range on the WAN and LAN sides.
If you can prove it is functional, as it only cost you
a fiver, you might get something for it on eBay.
Try the Zoom site for spec and manual..
Old May 30th 09, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Ato_Zee" wrote in message

So it'll be fine for those on cable, or an intranet, but not
for ADSL. If you gave the model number this could be confirmed.

Does it have an RJ11 ADSL line socket, or just RJ45's?
Google for the model number, if it only has RJ45's it is
possibly a cable modem.
Bit difficult to test functionality of a cable modem if
you are ADSL, most prefer a different IP address
range on the WAN and LAN sides.
If you can prove it is functional, as it only cost you
a fiver, you might get something for it on eBay.
Try the Zoom site for spec and manual..

I imagine it's this
http://www.zoom.com/techsupport/wire...ess4401a.shtml

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 31st 09, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Another Dave

Graham. wrote:

I imagine it's this
http://www.zoom.com/techsupport/wire...ess4401a.shtml

Yes, that's it. It came boxed and complete.

I think I'll use it as a sort of repeater, i.e. I'll wire the two
computers to it and use it to receive the wireless signal from
downstairs. One computer has a PCI wireless card, the other a USB
receiver (which works better!). Neither are ideally situated and I can
move the Zoom to a good reception area.

So some pride may be saved :-)

Another Dave (I'm not stupid really - honest)