BT Upgrade

Old May 31st 09, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Andrews

Default BT Upgrade

A friends BT broadband failed a few minutes after midnight on Saturday -
having failed to find anything wrong at his premises I called BT and after
about 10 minutes talking to India we deduced that there had been an upgrade
affecting the 0161 and 0208 areas amongst others. The router needed to have
the DSL Modulation Mode changed to G.DMT after which service was restored!

Anybody know what all this was about?

Peter

Old May 31st 09, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

A friends BT broadband failed a few minutes after midnight on Saturday -
having failed to find anything wrong at his premises I called BT and after
about 10 minutes talking to India we deduced that there had been an upgrade
affecting the 0161 and 0208 areas amongst others. The router needed to
have the DSL Modulation Mode changed to G.DMT after which service was
restored!

Anybody know what all this was about?

G.DMT is the standard mode used across the UK by BT. I can only assume that
the router had been set incorrectly.

Peter Crosland

Old May 31st 09, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Andrews

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
o.uk...
A friends BT broadband failed a few minutes after midnight on Saturday -
having failed to find anything wrong at his premises I called BT and
after about 10 minutes talking to India we deduced that there had been an
upgrade affecting the 0161 and 0208 areas amongst others. The router
needed to have the DSL Modulation Mode changed to G.DMT after which
service was restored!

Anybody know what all this was about?

G.DMT is the standard mode used across the UK by BT. I can only assume
that the router had been set incorrectly.

Peter Crosland

It hasn't had it's settings changed since I installed it 3 years ago! It's a
Linksys WAG354 and it was set to MultiMode (I took a screen print of the
settings when I installed it). Changing to G.DMT got it going - India
suggested that I might get an increase in speed - we shall see.

Peter WAG354G V.2

Old May 31st 09, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

A friends BT broadband failed a few minutes after midnight on Saturday -
having failed to find anything wrong at his premises I called BT and
after about 10 minutes talking to India we deduced that there had been
an upgrade affecting the 0161 and 0208 areas amongst others. The router
needed to have the DSL Modulation Mode changed to G.DMT after which
service was restored!

Anybody know what all this was about?

G.DMT is the standard mode used across the UK by BT. I can only assume
that the router had been set incorrectly.

Peter Crosland

It hasn't had it's settings changed since I installed it 3 years ago! It's
a Linksys WAG354 and it was set to MultiMode (I took a screen print of the
settings when I installed it). Changing to G.DMT got it going - India
suggested that I might get an increase in speed - we shall see.

AFAIK it should always have been set to G.DMT. You might well get a
significant improvement in line speed by replacing it with a 2wire 2700HGV
(Badged as BT Business Hub) along with better secuity.

Peter Crosland

Old May 31st 09, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rousseau

Peter Andrews wrote:

A friends BT broadband failed a few minutes after midnight on Saturday -
having failed to find anything wrong at his premises I called BT and after
about 10 minutes talking to India we deduced that there had been an
upgrade
affecting the 0161 and 0208 areas amongst others.

There is no such thing as an '0208' area.

Chris

Old May 31st 09, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

[...]

I wouldn't bother with the 2700HGV. More trouble than they are worth
as they do not support automatic port opening and closing, the firewall is
not that good and despite claims - the power level can not be increased
beyond 100mW. There is also a risk of having it updated to new firmware
which will make it useless. DNS posoning does not work as V5 is being
slowly upgraded to v6. Many of the features are not available with standard
codes and there is no site blocking as with other routers.
There are many many features missing from the 2700HGV which are standard
on a number of cheap routers. The 2700HGV goes for silly money on
ebay and not all routers can be flashed with SingTel firmware. If you do
change
from BT to SingTel firmware you can't change back to your original. Your
data throughput is LOWER with Singtel firmwre and unless you just want
something to play with I wouldn't bother. It's also got a universal login
which
is remote - it doesn't matter if the user has it switched on or off. All
you need
to do to access a 2700HGV user is their IP address from a posting and the
preset user name and password that SingTel and BT use. It is available on
the
Internet. If you get one it is as bad as the old Thomson o2 router which
allowed anyone in by using a SuperUser account!

Stick to the router you have, avoid patched ones with crappy firmware.

Old June 1st 09, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"rousseau" wrote in message
Peter Andrews wrote:

A friends BT broadband failed a few minutes after midnight on Saturday -
having failed to find anything wrong at his premises I called BT and
after
about 10 minutes talking to India we deduced that there had been an
upgrade
affecting the 0161 and 0208 areas amongst others.

There is no such thing as an '0208' area.

No - but there is an 020 8xxx xxxx area

George

Old June 1st 09, 01:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"George Weston" wrote in message

"rousseau" wrote in message
Peter Andrews wrote:

A friends BT broadband failed a few minutes after midnight on Saturday -
having failed to find anything wrong at his premises I called BT and
after
about 10 minutes talking to India we deduced that there had been an
upgrade
affecting the 0161 and 0208 areas amongst others.

There is no such thing as an '0208' area.

No - but there is an 020 8xxx xxxx area

OK, if that's the case perhaps you could describe the
geographical bounderies of this area and also those
of the areas whos local numbers begin with 8 and 3?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 1st 09, 04:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bod43

On 31 May, 22:37, "Clive" wrote:
[...]

I happened to notice a few years ago that my BT ADSL
worked with either ANSI or ITU (GMT) modulation and
with either PPPoE or PPPoA encapsulation. My router
was and is Cisco.

This is an obvious strategy for an ISP that wanted
to reduce the volume of support calls. I guess they
have now put in new kit that perhaps does not support
all of the options.

ISP was strictly not BT, but was a very small provider
that was not LLU. (I don't fully understand how it all
worked).

Old June 1st 09, 08:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

Peter Andrews wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure mine is set to Multimode, probably as
its default. I thought that meant "automatic" mode
selection, by negotiation with the exchange device.
Perhaps the weekend change disabled negotiation, or it
could be that changing the setting (or even just
re-booting the box) kicked the router back into life.
You could try putting it back to multimode to see if
that's the case.