Problem with 'stale' internet connection

Old June 1st 09, 11:53 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Default Problem with 'stale' internet connection

I have a problem with my Compaq/HP NX9005 laptop (running XP SP2) whereby if
I disconnect from a dial-up (or mobile broadband) connection, I cannot
regain internet access without re-booting. I can re-connect - but the old
connection hasn't been fully purged, and the new connection isn't
recognised.

I'm currently using a '3' mobile broadband dongle, and am displaying below
some of the output from the ipconfig/all command which illustrates this
problem. [I've had similar problems in the past when using a dial-up modem -
so I suspect that the problem lies with my XP setup rather than with the
mobile broadband setup per se].
______________
PPP adapter 1.3G:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

PPP adapter 1.3G:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
141.1.1.1
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.11.12.13
Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 10.11.12.14
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
_______________

As can be seen, there are duplicate entries for the 1.3G PPP adapter - the
first one being dead and the second alive - but the first one seems to be
getting in the way of allowing my browser/email client/etc from being
pointed at the 'live' connection.

I would be very grateful for any advice on how to fix this - such as how to
purge the stale record, or how to force the use of the live one.

TIA.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old June 2nd 09, 12:20 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

I noticed this when hooking up a 3 dongle.

I think it all worked when U used gnome-ppp to do the dialling.
Otherwise the disconnect stuff left the dongle in a funny mode.

I was always able to get out of it by unplugging the device and
reinserting it - mine was USB...

There are various logs that work..but first what software are you using
to connect?

Old June 2nd 09, 12:59 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

To connect the dongle, I'm using 3Connect (the application which comes with
it) - which I've just upgraded to v2.0.0

Once connected, I'm using Firefox as a browser, Mailwasher to vet emails,
and Outlook to send and receive emails. None of these work in the 'failed'
state as per the ipconfig log.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old June 2nd 09, 09:55 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Ah. I forgot which group I was on..usually this comes up in the Linux
groups..

I doan no nuffin about the windows drivers. I misread ipconfig/all as
ifconfig -a..

Old June 2nd 09, 02:08 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
BillW50

In ,
Roger Mills typed on Tue, 2 Jun 2009 00:59:53 +0100:

Roger Mills wrote:
I have a problem with my Compaq/HP NX9005 laptop (running XP SP2)
whereby if I disconnect from a dial-up (or mobile broadband)
connection, I cannot regain internet access without re-booting. I
can re-connect - but the old connection hasn't been fully purged,
and the new connection isn't recognised.

I'm currently using a '3' mobile broadband dongle, and am displaying
below some of the output from the ipconfig/all command which
illustrates this problem. [I've had similar problems in the past
when using a dial-up modem - so I suspect that the problem lies with
my XP setup rather than with the mobile broadband setup per se].

Hi Roger! You stated that rebooting clears this up. My question is does
logging out of Windows and then back in again clear it up too? If it
does, at least it is faster than rebooting.

I don't believe it is your machine, for one. And I too remember problems
like this back in the old dialup days. Although those problems I have
traced back to the ISP and none of my equipment. As I believe it was
some of their modems and/or servers looses the communication connection.
While the modem is still connected, but is no longer receiving anything.

I could clearly see this with my external modems with indicator lights.
As requests were going out, but absolutely nothing was coming back in.
And thus you end up with a stale connection. Redialing back in doesn't
work! Although rebooting your system would work to cure the stale
connection. Until it happened again. And with some ISPs, it happened
more often than not. I personally believe they had some flaky modems in
their racks. And some other ISPs, it never happened.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 1GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

Old June 2nd 09, 07:35 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

I suspect that the problem lies with
my XP setup rather than with the mobile broadband setup per se

Try static IP config.
With Win XP I can enable, disable, the CAT5 Ethernet at will.
Rock solid connects and disconnects. Just put in your
PC's IP address, subnet mask, your routers IP address
(which in my case is also the first DNS address).
Old June 2nd 09, 09:14 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Ato_Zee wrote:

I suspect that the problem lies with
my XP setup rather than with the mobile broadband setup per se

Try static IP config.
With Win XP I can enable, disable, the CAT5 Ethernet at will.
Rock solid connects and disconnects. Just put in your
PC's IP address, subnet mask, your routers IP address
(which in my case is also the first DNS address).

That's precisely what I do when I'm at home and when the laptop is connected
to my LAN/Broadband Router via ethernet.

But the problem I have is when I'm away from home, and the only connection
to the outside world is via my '3' dongle/modem. The only relevant IP
address is the WAN IP address allocated by '3' upon connection - over which
I have no control.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old June 3rd 09, 08:29 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
GG WILLIKERS

Roger Mills wrote:
Ato_Zee wrote:

I suspect that the problem lies with
my XP setup rather than with the mobile broadband setup per se

Try static IP config.
With Win XP I can enable, disable, the CAT5 Ethernet at will.
Rock solid connects and disconnects. Just put in your
PC's IP address, subnet mask, your routers IP address
(which in my case is also the first DNS address).

That's precisely what I do when I'm at home and when the laptop is connected
to my LAN/Broadband Router via ethernet.

But the problem I have is when I'm away from home, and the only connection
to the outside world is via my '3' dongle/modem. The only relevant IP
address is the WAN IP address allocated by '3' upon connection - over which
I have no control.

Your problem seems to be very device specific to your USB dongle. I
suspect it is a software/driver issue rather than a laptop/OS.

You do not mention trying get a refresh from ipconfig /release ipconfig
/renew.

How about resetting the USB device from USB device properties without
reboot?

What processes/drivers does/did the 3 dongle add to your to XP when you
installed it? Possible conflict with Windows Wireless Configuration Service?

Old June 3rd 09, 09:59 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

GG WILLIKERS wrote:

Your problem seems to be very device specific to your USB dongle. I
suspect it is a software/driver issue rather than a laptop/OS.

Except that, as I stated in my OP, I used to have a very similar problem
when using dial-up internet via the built-in modem. I would dial in and
connect - fine. After finishing doing emails etc., I would break the
connection. Then, if I re-dialled later, the connection would be made but I
would have no internet/email access unless I re-booted. So that leads me to
suspect that it *isn't* specific to the mobile broadband dongle/modem.

You do not mention trying get a refresh from ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew.

Yes, I have tried that - to no avail.

How about resetting the USB device from USB device properties without
reboot?

You mean somewhere in Device Manager? I haven't tried that, but I have
unplugged the dongle and then reconnected it - which should reset it.

What processes/drivers does/did the 3 dongle add to your to XP when
you installed it? Possible conflict with Windows Wireless
Configuration Service?

Dunno! There are dozens of processes running - and I'm not sure to easily to
keep track of which ones are added when.

Thanks for your interest. Any further ideas?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old June 3rd 09, 11:01 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark BR

Roger Mills wrote:
I have a problem with my Compaq/HP NX9005 laptop (running XP SP2)

SNIP

To connect the dongle, I'm using 3Connect (the application which comes
with it) - which I've just upgraded to v2.0.0

Similar problem to me. I stopped using the 3 connect software and connect by
going to network setting and right click on the 3 dial up thingie and select
connect.

Then I changed in internet connections to always connect - and set the 3
dial up network to not disconnect after 20 minutes.

Now the internet connects up as I switch on the computer, takes about half a
minute to recognise the dongle and a few seconds to 'dial up'.
--

Mark BR