Distance from filtered NTE5 socket to ADSL modem

Old June 2nd 09, 08:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vet Tech

Default Distance from filtered NTE5 socket to ADSL modem

I may have to relocate my ADSL modem/router. I see lots of posts
highlighting the need to place the ADSL modem/router as close as
possible to the BT master socket but I see nothing about actual
distances and the corresponding loss of performance.

Currently getting about 4.9 Mb/s and the distance between the filtered
NTE5 and the modem/router is about 4.5 metres.

I have a choice of putting it 1 meter away and then running a cable
from there to my network switch that is located in the patch panel OR
I move the ADSL modem/router into the patch panel cabinet alongside
the network switch. The cabinet is 8 meters away from the NTE5.

What would you recommend?
Old June 2nd 09, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Vet Tech wrote:

I may have to relocate my ADSL modem/router. I see lots of posts
highlighting the need to place the ADSL modem/router as close as
possible to the BT master socket but I see nothing about actual
distances and the corresponding loss of performance.

Currently getting about 4.9 Mb/s and the distance between the filtered
NTE5 and the modem/router is about 4.5 metres.

I have a choice of putting it 1 meter away and then running a cable
from there to my network switch that is located in the patch panel OR
I move the ADSL modem/router into the patch panel cabinet alongside
the network switch. The cabinet is 8 meters away from the NTE5.

What would you recommend?

It really doesn't matter - as long as you use a good quality dedicated
twisted-pair cable between NTE5 and router. Don't forget that the signal has
probably travelled several Km from the exchange to get to your NTE5 - so a
few more metres ain't going to matter.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old June 2nd 09, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Weston

In article , "Roger Mills" wrote:

It really doesn't matter - as long as you use a good quality dedicated
twisted-pair cable between NTE5 and router. Don't forget that the signal has
probably travelled several Km from the exchange to get to your NTE5 - so a
few more metres ain't going to matter.

Providing that few meters extra is kept clean and well separated from
sources of household intereference. The cable from the exchange hasn't
normally been near home noise sources such as flourescents, CH
thermostats, motor starters, etc. The fact that the cable has run
several kilometers does not mean you can ignore basic principles just
because it just "a few more meters". It really does matter... Remember
the ADSL signal level is much lower at your end so any noise picked up
there will have more effect than at the BT end.

--
John W
I you really want to mail me, replace the obvious with co.uk twice
Old June 2nd 09, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 09:10:45 +0100, "Roger Mills"

Vet Tech wrote:

[...]

Common sense would suggest that you are right. However my experience
differs. I have a long but good quality cable which I normally use. I
get a far better noise margin using a short but cheap cable.

--
(\__/) M.

Old June 2nd 09, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

Don't forget that the signal has
probably travelled several Km from the exchange to get to your NTE5 - so a
few more metres ain't going to matter.

That's what I thought, but houses have commutator motors in
vacuum cleaners, washing machines, electric drills, microwaves that
click on and off in their reduced power mode, energy saving lamps
with two power transistors switching to regulate the discharge,
etc, etc, etc.
Put your weak signal ADSL cable anywhere near the house mains
wiring, and there is a risk of noise bursts, even with twisted pair.
A burst of noise can knock your speed back for several days,
or permanently if the noise continues.
Most domestic premises have only one cable route between
floors, making it difficult to keep the ADSL cable well apart
from the mains cable.
So the few more metres can matter a lot.
Ethernet over CAT5 less of a problem, higher signal
level, balanced, with error correction.
Old June 2nd 09, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Vet Tech" wrote in message
I may have to relocate my ADSL modem/router. I see lots of posts
highlighting the need to place the ADSL modem/router as close
as
possible to the BT master socket but I see nothing about actual
distances and the corresponding loss of performance.

Currently getting about 4.9 Mb/s and the distance between the
filtered
NTE5 and the modem/router is about 4.5 metres.

I have a choice of putting it 1 meter away and then running a
cable
from there to my network switch that is located in the patch
panel OR
I move the ADSL modem/router into the patch panel cabinet
alongside
the network switch. The cabinet is 8 meters away from the NTE5.

What would you recommend?

If it is convenient put the router near the NTE5 and run CAT5 -
best solution.

If it is not convenient then use some screened CAT5 and run the
telephone line on one pair of the same colour. Earth the cable
screen at one end only and all should work well.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old June 2nd 09, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 19:44:32 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

"Vet Tech" wrote in message
[...]

I was told not to bother with the ethernet cable and use a wireless
connection on the basis that the wireless connection was so much
faster than the Internet that it would have no effect on connection
speed. Is this sound logic?
Old June 2nd 09, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Vet Tech wrote:
| I may have to relocate my ADSL modem/router. I see lots of posts
| highlighting the need to place the ADSL modem/router as close as
| possible to the BT master socket but I see nothing about actual
| distances and the corresponding loss of performance.
|
| Currently getting about 4.9 Mb/s and the distance between the
| filtered NTE5 and the modem/router is about 4.5 metres.
|
| I have a choice of putting it 1 meter away and then running a cable
| from there to my network switch that is located in the patch panel
| OR I move the ADSL modem/router into the patch panel cabinet
| alongside the network switch. The cabinet is 8 meters away from the
| NTE5.
|
| What would you recommend?

If you have the correct cable you can run anything up to 30mtrs, but
it has to be the correct cable with the correct plugs.

ADSL Nation (a web store)does a range going from 1.5mtrs upwards.

Old June 2nd 09, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 18:26:50 GMT, "Ato_Zee"
wrote:

[...]

that might be why earlier in the thread "twisted pair" cable for the
extension lead was mentioned.

The balanced cable can make for a couple of orders of magnitude of
noise rejection compared to normal flat telephone leads.

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl
Old June 2nd 09, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

wrote:

"Vet Tech" wrote in message
[...]

Depends on your Internet feed and the wireless conditions, how many
devices and whether you have local traffic.

If you have 802.11g then the raw bit rate on the air is 54 Mbps "best
case" and the various go faster schemes can do better at the cost of
clogging up the other channels - but 50% of the raw thruput vanishes
in overhead, and very few people get best case in practice.

i get around 20 Mbps real wireless thoughput at home on a couple of
Toshiba laptops, which is plenty for browsing, a bit of streaming and
so on. Move the laptop to the garden to work and 3 to 4 Mbps........

But the wireless channel is shared so is total per access point not
per PC - put 4 wireless devices on it and the aggregate thruput drops
off more, and each device only gets a share of that.

If you have other "stuff" such as streamers or you share files between
machines, then wireless can be a big bottleneck.

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl