Another BRAS moan

Old June 5th 09, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

Default Another BRAS moan

What is the matter with getting BRAS upped? My rate dropped from
months at 8meg to 130K in nothing flat. Router was 130/160. Rebooted
the router which promptly synced at 448/8096 . BT tests says there are
no faults - but it will take 5 *days* to reset BRAS. :-(

What are they smoking?
--
Regards
Dave Saville

Old June 5th 09, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

On 5-Jun-2009, "Dave Saville" wrote:

BT tests says there are
no faults - but it will take 5 *days* to reset BRAS.

Probably the time trhey think it will take for the automated
system to react.

Rebooted
the router which promptly synced at 448/8096

So you should be back to your previous speed.

A noise burst, particularly if it repeats, can knock your
speed back for several days, or even permanently until
the source is removed.
Is your router next to the NTE5?
Some modems support DMT tool, which allows you
to set your target SNR, which can up your speed
dramatically, but it doesn't cure faults, and can be
a mixed blessing.
Old June 5th 09, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 11:28:04 UTC, "Ato_Zee"
wrote:

On 5-Jun-2009, "Dave Saville" wrote:

BT tests says there are
no faults - but it will take 5 *days* to reset BRAS.

Probably the time trhey think it will take for the automated
system to react.

Rebooted
the router which promptly synced at 448/8096

So you should be back to your previous speed.

my feelings exactly.

A noise burst, particularly if it repeats, can knock your
speed back for several days, or even permanently until
the source is removed.
Is your router next to the NTE5?

Yes.

Some modems support DMT tool, which allows you
to set your target SNR, which can up your speed
dramatically, but it doesn't cure faults, and can be
a mixed blessing.

SNR is OK as it is.

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Old June 5th 09, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"Dave Saville" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
What is the matter with getting BRAS upped? My rate dropped from
months at 8meg to 130K in nothing flat. Router was 130/160. Rebooted
the router which promptly synced at 448/8096 . BT tests says there are
no faults - but it will take 5 *days* to reset BRAS. :-(

What are they smoking?

The system was changed a while back. Big swings in IPProfile should cause
the profile to be update rapidly. It shouldn't be more than a few hours
before its back to what you had before.

Of course what everyone would like to know is why can't the IPProfile be
what you sync at rather than something else. Then we wouldn't have to wait.

--

WildCardZero

Old June 5th 09, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 12:00:11 UTC, "WCZ"
wrote:

The system was changed a while back. Big swings in IPProfile should cause
the profile to be update rapidly. It shouldn't be more than a few hours
before its back to what you had before.

Well so far still 130K and 15 hours since the resync at 448/8096

quote BT
15 - NO BTW FAULT-circuit progressing correctly and BRAS Profile is
due to be changed in 118 Hour 50 Minutes.
/quote BT
--
Regards
Dave Saville

Old June 5th 09, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

wrote:

The system was changed a while back. Big swings in IPProfile should
cause
the profile to be update rapidly. It shouldn't be more than a few hours
before its back to what you had before.

Well so far still 130K and 15 hours since the resync at 448/8096

quote BT
15 - NO BTW FAULT-circuit progressing correctly and BRAS Profile is
due to be changed in 118 Hour 50 Minutes.
/quote BT
--

Jeez, thats awful. I had a low sync event down to 160 from about 1500 about
6 months ago. So a much smaller swing than you've had and it was back to

BT profile system really is rubbish. Hope it sorts itself out soon for you.

--

WildCardZero

Old June 5th 09, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

wrote:

The system was changed a while back. Big swings in IPProfile should
cause
the profile to be update rapidly. It shouldn't be more than a few hours
before its back to what you had before.

Well so far still 130K and 15 hours since the resync at 448/8096

quote BT
15 - NO BTW FAULT-circuit progressing correctly and BRAS Profile is
due to be changed in 118 Hour 50 Minutes.
/quote BT
--

Jeez, thats awful. I had a low sync event down to 160 from about 1500
about 6 months ago. So a much smaller swing than you've had and it was
back to normal within 12 hours.

BT profile system really is rubbish. Hope it sorts itself out soon for
you.

Replying to myself, I know. This is what should happen according to
ThinkBroadband

"As of August 2007 a more flexible system has been implemented where large
improvements in the IP Profile may take place with 75 minutes, for example a
jump from 135Kbps up to 7.15Mbps should happen quickly, whereas a small
increment from 3.5Mbps to 4Mbps may take the full 5 days the current system
allows."

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/se...radsl.html#228

--

WildCardZero

Old June 5th 09, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ted

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 13:00:11 +0100 WCZ wrote:

Of course what everyone would like to know is why can't the IPProfile
be what you sync at rather than something else. Then we wouldn't
have to wait.

I can understand why the IP Profile is always lower than the sync speed, but just
why must it take "up to x days" to respond to an increase in sync speed, when it
reacts almost immediately to a drop in sync speed.

I could never see the logic in that.

Old June 5th 09, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Ted wrote:
On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 13:00:11 +0100 WCZ wrote:

Of course what everyone would like to know is why can't the IPProfile
be what you sync at rather than something else. Then we wouldn't
have to wait.

I can understand why the IP Profile is always lower than the sync speed, but just
why must it take "up to x days" to respond to an increase in sync speed, when it
reacts almost immediately to a drop in sync speed.

I could never see the logic in that.

I am not sure it DOES respond instantly to a drop.

The rationale is that the one thing they DO not want, is packets
arriving at an (almost) bufferless DSLAM faster than they are being
downloaded.
Old June 5th 09, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

I am not sure it DOES respond instantly to a drop.

Its ranged from almost instant to several hours for me. I think it depends
on how big the sync swing is.

The rationale is that the one thing they DO not want, is packets arriving
at an (almost) bufferless DSLAM faster than they are being downloaded.

True but why can't my IPProfile be (sync speed - overheads) and it gets set
everytime the router syncs with the exchange? BE seem to manage to do
something like that.

--

WildCardZero