Which Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router?

Old June 6th 09, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Which Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router?

My ISP (Demon) is about to 'upgrade' me to ADSL2+ and my current
modem/router - Draytek Vigor 2600G - doesn't support this and can't be
upgraded to do so. My understanding is that it ought to continue to
work but perhaps with reduced performance. However, I have seen
reports of problems with various routers following upgrades of the
service to ADSL2+ so I am not assuming it will continue to work.

I'd like to order a new router so that I am prepared but I am finding
the range of available models very confusing. My minimum requirements

wireless
4 ethernet ports
ADSL2+ support

My current router also provides a print server function - it allows a
printer to be connected to it via USB. I would miss that facility. I
do however have a small Linux box already running as a file/music
server so I could probably add print serving functionality to it if
necessary.

I have been pretty happy with the Draytek and my understanding is that
it is well-regarded. My impression is that Draytek tend not to be
great on the wireless front and I must admit that it does tend to lose
the wireless connection regularly (i.e. more than occasionally but I
wouldn't say frequently) when being accessed from an XP laptop and
only comes back by rebooting the router. In practice this hasn't been
a big problem because of usage patterns but ideally I'd like more
solid wireless, otherwise I'd be tempted to stick with Draytek,
despite their relative expense.

I've seen many *general* recommendations for Linksys WAG54GS and
Netgear DG834G but I've also found a significant number of complaints
about them. In particular the Netgear is cropping up regularly as one
that is causing problems for Demon customers with the ADSL2+ upgrade
but looking closer at those, it may have something to do with
distinctions between the v2 model and later ones.

I asked a similar question on uk.comp.homebuilt the other day (I
wasn't aware of the present group - it would have been more
appropriate) and an additional recommendation I got there was a Zyxel
Prestige H660 model. But again it emerged that there are variations
in the basic model - the '-61' version reportedly being less stable
than the '-D1' one - and when I go to ebuyer there are a number of
similar looking and similarly named Zyxel models with different
prices.

I'd be very grateful for any further opinions or advice.

Thanks,

Bob
Old June 6th 09, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Buy a 2wire 2700HGV off eBay for a tenner or so. They are usually badged BT
Business Hub 2700HGV. Better than anything else on the market. It has
ADSL2+, excellent firewall, wireless and USB. I can't vouch for how well the
USB works as I have not tried it but everything else is 1 st class.

Peter Crosland

Old June 7th 09, 08:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

My ISP (Demon) is about to 'upgrade' me to ADSL2+ and my current
modem/router - Draytek Vigor 2600G - doesn't support this and can't be
upgraded to do so. My understanding is that it ought to continue to
work but perhaps with reduced performance. However, I have seen
reports of problems with various routers following upgrades of the
service to ADSL2+ so I am not assuming it will continue to work.

I'd like to order a new router so that I am prepared but I am finding
the range of available models very confusing. My minimum requirements

Well I am going to have to buy a replacement for my Draytek Vigor
2600VG, and I will be getting the 2700G model (103 from Dabs) because
I have been very impressed with the Draytek compared with either the
3Com or Netgear ones I had previously.

Unfortunately, it got fried this afternoon by a very close lightning
strike (which also took out our microwave oven, and a TV Aerial

Unless you need the sophisticated features of the Draytek then save yourself
a bundle with a 2Wire. You should also get a significant sync speed
improvement as well.

Peter Crosland

Old June 7th 09, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Lightning? Yesterday?

There were heavy rain storms in the South West, Wales, and the West Midlands
yesterday.

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old June 7th 09, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Mark Carver wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Lightning? Yesterday?

There were heavy rain storms in the South West, Wales, and the West
Midlands yesterday.

Blimey. It just drizzled here in t'East Angles.

Its ****ing down more realistically today though.

Wait till lightning ACTUALLY STRIKES the incoming phone wire!

What was surprising was how *little* electronics died.

Despite burn marks and blown electrical sockets flying across the room,
I got away with:

one new serial/parallel card (into which the modem was plugged)
Modem replaced under lifetime warranty
HP laserjet with too many faults to be economical to fix (connected to
Serial/parallel card)(wanted more than the _new_ price) so I simply said
'do you expect me to really pay that' and he said 'my only other option
is totally free under 'warranty' and I said 'well if you must' ;-)
Ex rental TV blown beyond economical repair. Binned.
Revox parallel tracking record deck..one IC popped, repaired.

Oh and the house needed a complete rewire and BT had to fit a new phone
line. But they were rented so not my problem. !

Sort of glad I wasn't in the house at the time tho.

Basically qanything 'on standby' popped once the surge got into the mains.

Old June 7th 09, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Parker51

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
o.uk...
Buy a 2wire 2700HGV off eBay for a tenner or so. They are usually badged
BT Business Hub 2700HGV. Better than anything else on the market. It has
ADSL2+, excellent firewall, wireless and USB. I can't vouch for how well
the USB works as I have not tried it but everything else is 1 st class.

Peter Crosland

But how easy is it to unlock/reconfigure for another ISP? Especially with
the later firmware.

--
Parker 51
nil illegitimi carborundum

Old June 7th 09, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 07:44:33 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Alex Heney wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 13:29:19 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

booster). So it's a good thing I kept the 3Com as a backup.

Lightning? Yesterday?

Yes.

We had a heck of a thunderstorm here (just inside the Brecon beacons
National Park to the North of Merthyr Tydfil) early afternoon.

And we had two strikes within a couple of minutes or so that were less
than a second away. I'd just turned the trip switch on the third
consumer unit back on when the second one hit.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Do witches run spell checkers?