What causes this?

Old June 7th 09, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Default What causes this?

I'm on Tiscali and despite the many comments I read about how dire it
is, our service has been generally pretty good all round.

Sometimes, for a brief period I have tried to browse to a page or
clicked a link and nothing has loaded and it has needed a second click
or even a third before it finally loads. This problem has been more
persistent over recent weeks, but has now resolved itself and it is all
back to normal.

Sometimes web pages with lots of content can be particularly slow to
load and take multiple refreshes before they load completely.

During these periods I also notice speed tests results are showing
slightly low figures.

What causes this?
Does a request time out and need to be requested again?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old June 8th 09, 06:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Harry
Bloomfield writes

What causes this?

Slow DNS, packet loss, contention, you name it.

Does a request time out and need to be requested again?

Yes.

Try different DNS servers: Tiscali's seem to get overloaded at peak
times. Give OpenDNS a go: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Old June 8th 09, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Mike Tomlinson laid this down on his screen :
In article , Harry
Bloomfield writes

What causes this?

Slow DNS, packet loss, contention, you name it.

Does a request time out and need to be requested again?

Yes.

Try different DNS servers: Tiscali's seem to get overloaded at peak
times. Give OpenDNS a go: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

I did originally set it up to use OpenDNS but I have swapped network
cards a while back and must have failed to set it again. Thanks for the
reminder.